iPad 4 location problems

3neekimmy

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi, Im definitely at my wits end with my new iPad 4 16GB wifi only model...Out of the box it was 6.0.1 so I upgraded it to 6.1.3 preferred 6.1.2 but apple stop signing as Im sure yall know, anyways I turn on Location services for Siri and maps, low and behold nothing works, on maps I get "cannot determine location" with Siri she flat out says "I dont know where you are", I try find my iphone on iCloud it says "Online, no location available" if I send the message to play a sound it does :confused: then I used a weather app and it displays in Atlanta Georgia with Rain, Im in Trinidad (Caribbean) and its hot as heck here -_- ..I restored through iTunes probably 4 times, I restored manually maybe 3 times, I even went as far as restoring my Macbook Pro (Mountain Lion) probably 3 times as well who btw is also not displaying my location BUT my iPhone is displaying my location perfectly.I googled till I cant anymore and even spoke to an Apple rep nothing no answers..Any ideas how to fix this?? Is it possible I have a faulty iPad? I only got it Tuesday :(

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Wifi-only iPads do NOT have an internal GPS receiver in them. Wifi iPads determine location info based on a database of locations of known wifi IP addresses that have been geolocated to GPS coordinates. If you want to use a WIFI iPad with maps, or as a GPS on the go - you will need an external GPS receiver... Garmin makes one called GarminGLO... BadElf makes a device as well... and there are others... the two I mentioned are bluetooth devices with GPS receivers in them that will give your iPad the GPS location data that will allow you to use Maps, and all of the location-based services on your iPad.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Im definitely at my wits end with my new iPad 4 16GB wifi only model...Out of the box it was 6.0.1 so I upgraded it to 6.1.3 preferred 6.1.2 but apple stop signing as Im sure yall know, anyways I turn on Location services for Siri and maps, low and behold nothing works, on maps I get "cannot determine location" with Siri she flat out says "I dont know where you are", I try find my iphone on iCloud it says "Online, no location available" if I send the message to play a sound it does :confused: then I used a weather app and it displays in Atlanta Georgia with Rain, Im in Trinidad (Caribbean) and its hot as heck here -_- ..I restored through iTunes probably 4 times, I restored manually maybe 3 times, I even went as far as restoring my Macbook Pro (Mountain Lion) probably 3 times as well who btw is also not displaying my location BUT my iPhone is displaying my location perfectly..Any ideas how to fix this?? Is it possible I have a faulty iPad? I only got it Tuesday :(

According to THIS,

All six models of Apple's iPad can use the built-in Wi-Fi capability to provide your approximate location. The location is determined by the nearest Wi-Fi hotspot. The hotspot needs to be in a location service database to provide accurate information. The closer you are to the hotspot, the more accurately it will pinpoint your location. If Wi-Fi is turned off, however, your iPad cannot determine your location.The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a utility that provides users with positioning, navigation and timing services. The U.S. Air Force maintains and operates the 24 satellites in the GPS. According to Apple, the iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models include assisted GPS, while the iPad Wi-Fi models do not include it. Assisted GPS does not rely on satellite signal alone, obtaining additional information from other server networks.

3neekimmy

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Urmm forgive me if I misunderstand but yall are saying there's no way even though my iPad is connected to WIFI to get location or weather without external gadgets?? Cuz my iPad 2 located quite fine and this 4 is an upgrade :/ ...So what do you suggest I do? I mean shouldnt it at least be able to say what country Im in?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Do you have Location Services turned on in settings? Otherwise, if the wifi node you are connected to is not in the database the iPad connects to in order to locate itself via "A-GPS" noted above, it won't know where you are. This limitation can be overcome as noted above.

3neekimmy

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Yea location is turned on everything is on Find my iPhone well iPad, Maps, Siri I even reset location settings and started all over still not locating, reset my router as well :/

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Apparently your IP address is not geolocated and in the database used to "A-GPS" locate devices... Most weather apps have a place to manually enter a location... you'll have to do that, or try locating via a map when connected to a wifi hotspot other than the one at home... if you have mobile hotspot capabilities on your iPhone, you can connect the iPad to that and try maps that way - the iPhone will pass its location to tethered devices.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You'll have to first check with your carrier to see if they support the hotspot on iPhone... if they do, Open Settings, and you'll see Personal Hotspot right near the top... set-up is just turning it on - following the onscreen directions for further set-up.

3neekimmy

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
thanks unfortunately my carrier doesnt support tethering on my iphone, I did try it on my S3 still nothing, my last option will be to try another hotspot at the mall or the like...thanks alot tho

jonathan2677

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a wifi only ipad 4 and I just asked Siri where am I located and she told me I was at 3407 my street name and I'm at 3401 so she seems to be able to locate me very closely,again maybe it's my wifi or I do occasionally tether to my iPhone 5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73