IOS7 5s ATT push mail issues when sleep

I

iMore Question

Is there a way to get exchange push email 100% of the time even when phone sleeps. I need this for on-call and require push email to receive on wi-fi and cellular at all times.
What currently happens is when phone sleeps, either on wi-fi or cellular, push mails are not received until I wake it up (then all my alerts flood in). It works for several minutes after the screen shuts down, but after about 15min push stops.
This is unacceptable.
MMS, text, and imessage work when sleeping, but not push mail. Unfortunately there is no way to make MMS, text, or imessage work with VIP inbox.

Any help appreciated!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to get exchange push email 100% of the time even when phone sleeps. I need this for on-call and require push email to receive on wi-fi and cellular at all times.
What currently happens is when phone sleeps, either on wi-fi or cellular, push mails are not received until I wake it up (then all my alerts flood in). It works for several minutes after the screen shuts down, but after about 15min push stops.
This is unacceptable.
MMS, text, and imessage work when sleeping, but not push mail. Unfortunately there is no way to make MMS, text, or imessage work with VIP inbox.

Any help appreciated!
Have you looked into any FAQ with the mail you are using or go to Apple and look at the IOS 7 manual to see what it says about Push email in your situation?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Are you 100% sure your mail settings are not on manual.. Email will only check for updates when the application is in use...

kevins7189_2

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I suspect the people that claim this works touch their phones all the time or leave their phones plugged in all the time. It works when iphone plugged in and it works when iphone hasn't gone to deep sleep. But when it goes to deep sleep all bets are off until you touch it or plug it in. Via cell or wireless.
Txt/imessage continue to work, however. So has to be exchange/push related issue with deep sleep.

kevins7189_2

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Are you 100% sure your mail settings are not on manual.. Email will only check for updates when the application is in use...
Well that wouldn't be push mail... And no I do not have it set to fetch, because I need immediate alert not 15 min later alert.

The issue exists all over the other forums

Just out of curiosity I logged into my web mail using my browser, under Options (upper right of screen), there on the left side of the screen was Mobile Devices. Listed there were all the mobile devices I have used to connect to our Exchange server. I deleted all of the old ones and then deleted my iPhone 5. Went back to my phone and deleted my exchange account and re-entered all of the information, Power cycled my phone and all seems to be working now with push notifications.

It's been about 20 minutes since I have done this step and it seems to be holding. All the other attempts that have been listed in this thread push notification has failed for me after about 5 minutes. I'm hoping this fixes it.

My company uses Microsoft Exchange 2007

UPDATE: It worked for an hour and then stopped working again. Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up..

Much like this states, push DOES work and always has, but it STOPS after, probably an hour and does not work again until a) touch it, b) leave it plugged in. I suspect people that says this isn't the case are touching their phones/pads all time. And I suspect people that say they see messages when they wake up have touched their phones because the screen wouldn't be ON for them to know that.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Very very odd. I have 3 exchange accounts all running from Exchange 2007 added to my iPad and iPhone.

They all push immediately.

The phone can be in sleep, awake. I am using another application. On WiFi or off WiFi mail always works with all accounts regardless if I am touching it or not...

I would verify Exchange settings, etc....

In my last post I meant that what you are mentioning is very close to a wake up and grab method of getting mail.. Just making sure all basis are covered in settings as it sounds liek that is the case..

Have you removed and re added the account with same result?

kevins7189_2

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
At night I know I also get them immediately because the email notifications are on the lock screen before I've ever unlocked the phone.

That is not possible, if the phone was asleep nothing would be displayed on the screen. That fact that you see the screen means the iphone refreshed them, and it refreshes them before you unlock because you touched it/woke it up. Tested it several times troubleshooting this.

The phone can be in sleep, awake. I am using another application. On WiFi or off WiFi mail always works with all accounts regardless if I am touching it or not...
How would you know you received the mail if it was asleep? You don't know until you touch it, and if you touch it, it will immediately refresh.

That is the point I think is being missed here. I'm trying to use VIP mail, which should act like a immediate email message with a special alert (kinda like a pager). Since push "apparently" goes to sleep (after approximately an hour) and stops getting pushes, it can't work they way is desired.
Imessage/text/phone always work, push doesn't seem to. VIP doesn't work with Imessage/text, so is useless to what I am needing.

mark stichs

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I found a forum that resolved the issue by removing and slashes from the email folder names. If applicable, change the slashes to dashes and your email should start showing on the locked screen.

mark stichs

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
@ kevins7189 the info you provided is inaccurate. This is very possible and is how push got coined. The push is a server-side ping that will alert the phone of any changes to the target mail folder (inbox, etc). Background processes on the device can receive the message (or it's meta-data) and alert to user. So long as the phone is not powered off the push feature will pull in new messages.

I am still looking for a resolution to push acting more like manual fetch. My issue is, on certain exchange 2013 account (office 365) you have to go into the mail app and then it will check for and download mail. Even with all setting correct and wiped phone and reloaded. Weird!!

The user has a large amount of folders in there mailbox (nearly 1000), so that will be my next test..

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
This has something to do with ActiveSync issues. This is happening on both Android and Ios, but the issues were with newer e x c h a n g e servers, if I remember correctly.

Cant post the link due to some reference of money it find in there. I have mailed the site admin with my links.
Mails not pushing on Ios 7.0.4 till mail app is opened manually. Activesync connectivity issue. | Email and calendar | Microsoft Office 365 Community . Post started by me, when I was using the personal exchange accnt.

As of now, I have an exclusive icloud account to which my work mails get forwarded and icloud id is spoofed to show all outgoing mails going out as if from my work ID.
Icloud push is flawless on the iphone.