IOS Weather App

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Am I missing something? My 8 Plus ( iOS13.6.1) performs flawlessly but I'm confused in that the stock  weather app shows my location as a generic "Barbados" when at home, ( or anywhere on the island) after actually very briefly showing much more specific locations. ( street or area or town) I've used settings / privacy / location services/ Weather to try to have it use location services 'always' but the only options are 'Never', 'Ask Next Time' or 'When Using the App'. The locations which show up very briefly are appropriate and often appear on any other weather apps I use. If I enter a street or town such as what US Weather Channel wound use & are source for  Weather, they will not come up. If I remember right, I had ent seen my general neighbourhood show up since on my 4s.....my 6 & 7Plus also behaving this way....
If a mod wishes to move my post to a more appropriate spot, please go right ahead too
0db29677075c8b57f4cd17c384277af5.jpg

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Am I missing something? My 8 Plus ( iOS13.6.1) performs flawlessly but I'm confused in that the stock  weather app shows my location as a generic "Barbados" when at home, ( or anywhere on the island) after actually very briefly showing much more specific locations. ( street or area or town) I've used settings / privacy / location services/ Weather to try to have it use location services 'always' but the only options are 'Never', 'Ask Next Time' or 'When Using the App'. The locations which show up very briefly are appropriate and often appear on any other weather apps I use. If I enter a street or town such as what US Weather Channel wound use & are source for  Weather, they will not come up. If I remember right, I had ent seen my general neighbourhood show up since on my 4s.....my 6 & 7Plus also behaving this way....
If a mod wishes to move my post to a more appropriate spot, please go right ahead too
0db29677075c8b57f4cd17c384277af5.jpg

If you scroll to the bottom of that screen, does it show your street/neighborhood name?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine has my street at the bottom. Has since the first beta.

Mine also shows the street name at the bottom of the screen, but I’m not sure if dmoskaluk is running a beta version of iOS 14 and I can’t recall whether or not the street name displays in iOS 13.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not running any beta and never have. Classic example of my situation was this morning. Where I was out to town fir an hour then returned home. I didn't look at phone app while out but when home, on opening, it showed 'WhiteHouse Terrace' (correct) for a second then switched to the generic Baebados. WhiteHouse Terrace is one of the logical choices as would be Greenidge Dr or Paynes Bay, each of which has shown 'mometarily' over the last few years. Maybe if the betas have streamlined the process we will see it in iOS14

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm not running any beta and never have. Classic example of my situation was this morning. Where I was out to town fir an hour then returned home. I didn't look at phone app while out but when home, on opening, it showed 'WhiteHouse Terrace' (correct) for a second then switched to the generic Baebados. WhiteHouse Terrace is one of the logical choices as would be Greenidge Dr or Paynes Bay, each of which has shown 'mometarily' over the last few years. Maybe if the betas have streamlined the process we will see it in iOS14

Can you post a screenshot?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Ahhh ok. I thought you were also seeing the localized information, which included street name, etc. at the bottom of your screen.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
No, never have I seen localized so will have to wait I guess - my conundrum is that the localized location is 'there' as evidenced by its brief ( 2 second) appearence as 'title' when app opened

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Here's what it looks like in the Weather app (iOS 14) for very localized weather. You need to scroll down to the bottom of the page to see it.

While Montréal is the legal city I am in, the postal city is Verdun. It should show Verdun, like it does for Pierrefonds or LaSalle.
IMG_4555D49D4008-1.jpeg

Also, you now get precipitation predications, that used to be DarkSky feature.
IMG_196481CC20F8-1.jpeg

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Just did iOS 14.01...... All good now as Weather Widget shows 'Barbados' but when tapped Weather App correctly shows present position. It seems to pick between several ( coincidentally the same places which would show for a second when opening the app prior to the upgrade.)