IOS 9.3 More Questions?

Gino Guillermo

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
IOS 9.3 More Questions

Hi:
1. I heard that one can now secure Notes with a password of fingerprint. But can i secure each note with a different security feature? If i sync my Mac Notes with an iPhone will the Mac Notes require me my fingerprint as that seems impossible as a Mac doesn't have a fingerprint scanner.
2. Is it now possible to set a part of an Mp3 song as a ringtone on the iPhone itself? (apart from doing it in Garage Band if that is still possible)
3. Is it possible to keep Youtube playing in the background whilst the screen is locked?
4. For a 16GB how much storage in reality is left from newly setup?
5. How would i know if an app has a widget version? There seem to be no info on the app description in the App Store and Apple seem to have poor/lukewarm support for widgets right now.
6. If i purchase a used iPhone from Amazon or Ebay (taking note that it is fully unlocked, etc.) how would i know what warranty or type of support/help i can avail from Apple?
Please advice. Many thanks.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: IOS 9.3 More Questions

Hi! :)

1. I heard that one can now secure Notes with a password of fingerprint. But can i secure each note with a different security feature? If i sync my Mac Notes with an iPhone will the Mac Notes require me my fingerprint as that seems impossible as a Mac doesn't have a fingerprint scanner.

I don't think so, but someone else will chime in with more info with that for you.

2. Is it now possible to set a part of an Mp3 song as a ringtone on the iPhone itself? (apart from doing it in Garage Band if that is still possible)

Nothing has changed in how a ringtone is added and set up for the iPhone.

3. Is it possible to keep Youtube playing in the background whilst the screen is locked?

I could not figure out how to do that, so I'm guessing the answer is no.

4. For a 16GB how much storage in reality is left from newly setup?

If you plan on storing images, music, or other types of files on your phone then 16GB isn't going to cut it. If you only need a phone for calls, texts, emails and nothing else then the 16GB is a good solution.

5. How would i know if an app has a widget version? There seem to be no info on the app description in the App Store and Apple seem to have poor/lukewarm support for widgets right now.

If it doesn't state it in the description on the app store, then there's no way to know unless you install the app and check it out.

6. If i purchase a used iPhone from Amazon or Ebay (taking note that it is fully unlocked, etc.) how would i know what warranty or type of support/help i can avail from Apple?
Please advice. Many thanks.

All iPhones come with your standard 1 year warranty that starts on the date of the original purchase, and that 1 year warranty transfers to the new owner once the device is given away or sold. So you have whatever time is left on the warranty when you get the used phone.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Sure it is. When I open a YouTube video in Safari, I don't use the app, and leave Safari, the YouTube will video stop playing. I open my control center and press play and the audio continues in the background of my iPhone. If my screen is locked, since I don't have my control center enabled for the lock screen, the playback controls are right on the lock screen, so I press play.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Sure it is. When I open a YouTube video in Safari, I don't use the app, and leave Safari, the YouTube will video stop playing. I open my control center and press play and the audio continues in the background of my iPhone. If my screen is locked, since I don't have my control center enabled for the lock screen, the playback controls are right on the lock screen, so I press play.

Thank you... I learned something new!!

Phill_UK

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
For a 16GB model how much storage is roughly available to use?

Any tips on how to save and use the 16GB storage on an iPhone?

There's about 11.9GB available storage on a 16GB model.

I can't offer much help other than to get yourself a decent data plan and use plenty of cloud storage.
I really struggled with a 16GB iPhone SE for a few days, and in the end exchanged it for a 64GB model.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I find it stupid as to why Apple still keeps on making a 16GB option. In this age of social apps, productivity stuff and having many files a 32GB should be the absolute minimum.

If i use iCloud it still has a maximum limit.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't see a problem with 16GB. It doesn't mean I can have every app that I own on my device. I don't think I would want to. I don't think I could get my entire music library on an 32GB iPhone, at least not at the high resolution I have.

Last edited:

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I find it stupid as to why Apple still keeps on making a 16GB option. I

I know quite a few people who don't use any of the space they have on their phones. They make calls, text, and sometimes they might read emails. Anything bigger than 16GB is a waste for them. Why shell out the extra cash for space that will not be used? It's good that Apple offers people a choice.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I find it stupid as to why Apple still keeps on making a 16GB option. In this age of social apps, productivity stuff and having many files a 32GB should be the absolute minimum.

If i use iCloud it still has a maximum limit.

My wife got a 32 gb iPhone 5c more than 2 years ago. It was free with Verizon. She started with about 28 gb available. She still has about 19 gb left. She's only used 9, maybe 10 gb. And about 1 gb is some of my stuff. She could have made do with the 16 gb model nicely. Your average Joe and Sally are like that.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Choice is a good choice by Apple. I feel a tad "limited" with a 16GB device.

I have done a rough calculation of the Android apps i have. Considering my photos are already saved on the cloud (via Google Photos), minimum of 3 casual games, 5 x MP3 albums (almost all at once), and some saved web pages as .pdf files and 16GB means just under 12GB as "available" i feel the 16GB model might not be enough for some more "extra" legroom of space if i need more.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Choice is a good choice by Apple. I feel a tad "limited" with a 16GB device.

I have done a rough calculation of the Android apps i have. Considering my photos are already saved on the cloud (via Google Photos), minimum of 3 casual games, 5 x MP3 albums (almost all at once), and some saved web pages as .pdf files and 16GB means just under 12GB as "available" i feel the 16GB model might not be enough for some more "extra" legroom of space if i need more.

Before I upgraded to the 64 gb 6s Plus, I had 120 apps, 100 songs, Notes, 7 email accounts, and various other stuff on my 16 gb iPhone 5. I had 2.5 gb available. If you like a lot of music on your phone, then you probably will need more than the 16 gb.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've read that the cost of using 32 GB of storage in an iPhone would cost Apple no more than $7.50 or so per device. I'm guessing that Apple would also lose some of the $100 upgrades to 64 GB if they made the default phone 32 GB, but they could have the storage points at 32 GB, 128 GB, and 256 GB instead and I'd bet that they'd get similar numbers of people upgrading. (I bought the 64 GB 6s last fall because I knew that 16 GB would not be enough, but I still would have upgraded to 128 if that was the choice, because I think I'd have trouble with 32 GB still.)

It may be true that there are many people who never use all 16 GB of storage, but they would never use all 32 GB either, and there would be plenty of people who are struggling with storage limits now who would be ok with 32 GB. I hope that Apple bumps up the storage with this fall's phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal