iOS 9.2.1: iPhone 4S Won't Send Texts Over Cellular?

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
iOS 9.2.1: iPhone 4S Won't Send Texts Over Cellular

I recently discovered that my wife's iPhone 4S -- which used to be mine -- will not send text messages via cellular data. If it has a WiFi connection, it will send iMessages, but nothing via cell, even if the phone's WiFi is turned off.

It worked fine when I had it, but I bought a 6S, and gave the 4S to my wife after restoring it as new.

• Both phones share my AppleID; We do not share IDs for messages or anything else.
  • iCloud is OFF, Family Sharing is OFF and so is Message Forwarding.
  • Send as SMS is ON, as are MMS Messaging and iMessage.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: iOS 9.2.1: iPhone 4S Won't Send Texts Over Cellular

Can she get phone calls ? Seems like a service provider issue

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried Reset Network Settings?
Reset Network Settings Settings>General>Reset>Tap Reset Network Settings. You may need to enter your wifi passcode back in afterwards.

A metal building can cause this.

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the suggestions!

She can receive & send phone calls, so I know the cellular connection is working.

No metal buildings involved; it never works.

I will reset the network settings & let you know what happens.

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

I reset the network settings and it still doesn't work.

Prior to that, my wife had tried to text me from her work, where there is no WiFi, and said that she saw some message about a shared ID -- which, of course, she immediately dismissed without actually reading, so I don't know exactly what it said.

As far as I can tell, the only ID shared between the two phones is my Apple ID. Am I going to have to go through the hassle of setting up an Apple ID for her in order to fix this?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I reset the network settings and it still doesn't work.

Prior to that, my wife had tried to text me from her work, where there is no WiFi, and said that she saw some message about a shared ID -- which, of course, she immediately dismissed without actually reading, so I don't know exactly what it said.

As far as I can tell, the only ID shared between the two phones is my Apple ID. Am I going to have to go through the hassle of setting up an Apple ID for her in order to fix this?

You need separate ID's. You can share the iTunes ID so you can share the purchases. But you need separate iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's.

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

By iTunes ID, I assume you mean Apple ID? Because both phones share that one. iMessage uses our unique phone numbers & email addresses.

In Settings / iCloud, both phones show the same user name (mine) and when I tap on that, the same devices, with the current one at the top (and the page title now says, "Apple ID"). Is this where I need to make a change, and if so, how, while still using the same Apple ID?

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

FaceTime on her phone is OFF, so no ID shows in that screen.

In Messages / Send and receive, both show the same Apple ID & same list of phone #'s & email addresses, BUT, only the correct ones for the particular phone are checked.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

FaceTime on her phone is OFF, so no ID shows in that screen.

In Messages / Send and receive, both show the same Apple ID & same list of phone #'s & email addresses, BUT, only the correct ones for the particular phone are checked.

That needs to change each of you should be signed in in messages to your own Apple Ids .. As stated only Apple ID you should share is for iTunes / App Store ..

Could be the cause

Selecting the number only determines where a conversation will start from but will be received on all emails etc on the list ..

Search the forum I wrote article awhile back about sharing a Apple ID for purchases and keeping all other data separate it should help you

Engire

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

I think it is correct that each user should have their own Apple ID so the device becomes unique to them. But I think there might be some confusion when the discussion moves toward sharing an ID in itunes. I think what folks are referring to is "family share" where ID's can be linked to another account allowing anyone linked to share apps and purchases such as music. Would this be more correct terminology?

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Search the forum I wrote article awhile back about sharing a Apple ID for purchases and keeping all other data separate it should help you

Found it -- thanks! So it looks like I'll have to create another Apple ID for my wife, using the link in your article. Now the question is, can I safely keep my current Apple ID as the "family" ID, and continue to use it on my own phone, or do I need to have three -- family, mine and hers?

Nevermind! I should have red through the responses before asking that.

(BTW, I think everything was working fine until the latest iOS update.)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

By iTunes ID, I assume you mean Apple ID? Because both phones share that one. iMessage uses our unique phone numbers & email addresses.

In Settings / iCloud, both phones show the same user name (mine) and when I tap on that, the same devices, with the current one at the top (and the page title now says, "Apple ID"). Is this where I need to make a change, and if so, how, while still using the same Apple ID?

Yes, it's used in iTunes Store and/or App Store. The others, iCloud, iMessage and Facetime should be separate. Actually, my wife uses my iTunes ID. But her Apple ID is her iCloud ID.
Now I'm confused. LOL

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Found it -- thanks! So it looks like I'll have to create another Apple ID for my wife, using the link in your article. Now the question is, can I safely keep my current Apple ID as the "family" ID, and continue to use it on my own phone, or do I need to have three -- family, mine and hers?

Nevermind! I should have red through the responses before asking that.

(BTW, I think everything was working fine until the latest iOS update.)

Yup you can kept yours for everything and on hers just use her new one for very thing except purchases

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Okay, I am really baffled. I successfully set up a new Apple ID for my wife's phone & eliminated my ID for everything except iTunes. Even rebooted the phone a couple times, including powering it down completely.

No luck.

Then I had an idea & tried to use Safari with the WiFi off, and was advised to turn cellular data on. Except that it IS turned on.

So the phone makes & receives calls, but thinks the cellular data is off, when it isn't.

Now what?!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

So you left the iTunes ID as is. Then changed her iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's to her own?
I don't see how cellular is related. That may be a separate issue. Try Reset Network Settings.
Reset Network Settings Settings>General>Reset>Tap Reset Network Settings. You may need to enter your wifi passcode back in afterwards.

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Yes, did all that with no success. :-(

So now it appears that the texts aren't working because cellular data isn't working. All settings seem to be correct - could it be an issue with the carrier?

KeyPlayaJim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

SOLVED!

Both phones are on Consumer Cellular (CC), which uses the AT&T infrastructure. My wife's old phone was a basic Motorola flip phone with no data or text. When I gave her my old iPhone 4S, she kept her old number, and CC never turned on text and data!

I opened the CC app today to get their tech support #, and instead found a semi-hidden menu that I'd never noticed. Buried a couple layers down were two checkboxes labeled "Turn cellular data on," and "Turn messaging on." Both were unchecked. I checked both, rebooted the phone, and voil?! Text & data!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods