iOS 8.2 Muting Messages from Contact

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a bug and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it. I regularly Mute alerts for particular contacts in Messages. It's on a case-by-case basis, so one day I might mute notifications from my friend "Jack" and the next day I don't. However, I've noticed that in 8.2. if I mute Jack's thread and delete the thread (while muted), the next time Jack texts me I never hear it because it arrives muted! It used to arrive non-muted so I could know when I got a new message. For some reason 8.2 is "remembering" that you mute certain people somewhat regularly and keeping that stuck per contact. It's very annoying because I often don't realize I have a message from someone like Jack until well after the fact, because it arrives muted just because I had muted him previously.

Anyone else having this issue? I've done a hard reset and closed and restarted the Messages app. My sound is on (not silent), and alerts for people I don't mute are fine.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never muted non-group related conversations so no, I haven't had that issue. Sorry...:)

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Try doing a hard reboot of your phone and see if that resolves the issue. There are a lot of known bugs on 8.2 and this is the first time I have heard of this particular bug, but I am wondering if a hard reboot might resolve the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I would try backing up your phone and reinstalling the OS. A lot of the time it will fix the small issues. I am currently running 8.3 so I can't see if I have the bug as well. I also don't regularly mute people.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Why not just unmute the contact before deleting the thread?

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Why not just unmute the contact before deleting the thread?

That's the issue, basically...even if I UNMUTE them and delete the thread, if they message me again it arrives muted. It's like it "remembers" it permanently even if you mute someone just once.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
That's the issue, basically...even if I UNMUTE them and delete the thread, if they message me again it arrives muted. It's like it "remembers" it permanently even if you mute someone just once.

Sorry to hear that. I'd like to offer more insight, but I've never had to mute anyone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73