iOS 8.0.1 released (update: pulled due to issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Free bumpers for everybody!
:)

I didn't realize an update had come out and was reading Twitter at lunch when this unfolded. I normally just update but from now on I will wait!

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I feel bad for those that updated and ran into that problem. I wouldn't have anticipated something like that either. Glad I didn't finish loading the update by the time I saw reports.

Agreed, but that is also the beauty of IOS. They stay on top of updates, and fix issues.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: iOS 8.0.1 released

Apple is killing it lately. Bending phones, updates that break phones. Way to go apple.....very un-apple like

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Apple is killing it lately. Bending phones, updates that break phones. Way to go apple.....very un-apple like

Can't blame Apple for idiots that put a giant, thin phone in their pocket. That's plain stupidity.

co4nd

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

I used the CNET I linked above but I like that these instructions (top post) actually have screenshots. One difference is CNET told you to do an iTunes backup before updating to the iOS 8 file, then I synced my phone after the update was complete and I retained all stuff (nothing was wiped).

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Can't blame Apple for idiots that put a giant, thin phone in their pocket. That's plain stupidity.

So phones that have been going in front pockets for years all the sudden are idiots? And yes not all were in a back pocket or sat on their phone... It's amazing how far people will go to defend Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

Not to beat a dead horse, so to speak, but don't they test these updates before they're released?

On a side note, thank you for posting the news about it. Great for those of us who haven't updated yet.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you?re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you?re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don?t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don?t have anything nice to say, don?t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ?think before you post?.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members? problem.
[/INFO]

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow been a crazy day with work and then getting my car serviced and running errands. Missed the notice of the update earlier and so never updated. Just catching up to this.
I hope folks get their phones back online soon.
Apple you blew this one. Not cool.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

theflyingbeagle

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I live in Hong Kong, woke up at 2:00am this morning, coudn't get back to sleep and decided to do a little surfing. Saw the update was available, kicked off the download on my iphone 6 and then read some more posts and saw the issues appearing. Managed to click later when asked whether wanted to do the update. Was then able to delete the update file in the storage usage settings, however left with a 1 indicator against software update settings that is not going away, even with a hard reset. Hoping when the revised update lands that this will then disappear... Oh dear, Apple, some software QA guys and release managers must be feeling twitchy this morning :)

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

Did iOS 8.0.1 have issues with iPhone 4S-5S as well, or did Apple just pull the update for everyone to keep the iPhone 6 & 6+ users happy since they had to wait two days to get iOS 8 on their new phones?

Roland

mattrock2003

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

So, this was a complete nightmare for me!

I tried restoring from iTunes and it wouldn't let me. I then downloaded the file for iOS 8. I hit shift instead of control (didn't know there was a difference then) to restore my iPhone 6 Plus back to iOS 8. It started to extract the file then, error. So now my phone is completely dead with the iTunes logo and connector visible. iTunes then said that my phone was in recovery mode and to restore it. So iTunes now downloads iOS 8 again. It begins to extract the file and once again ERROR! At this rate I'm starting to freak out and I'm about to go to the apple store which is an hour away from me. I give it one more go. iTunes starts to extract the file once again and miraculously it installs iOS 8.

So now I have iOS 8 back on there and I'm going through the set up motions. I come to iCloud back up and start that process. At the 30 min mark it says error with iCloud back up data. I try it again. Same thing. I go to the back up from the day before. Again it errors out! I had no choice but to set it up as new. I was so very angry!!

Long story short I definitely learned my lesson on this one. I learned the difference between shift and control when doing a restore through iTunes. I learned that iCloud back ups are not the only back ups I should do anymore. I know I could have saved myself some trouble if I would have just did a little bit more research before doing all of this. Again lesson learned!

In total from start to finish it took me 4 hours to get my phone back together. Plus an addition 2 hours of re-syncing music and apps.

The only plus side to this is I have way more storage then I did before! :)

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

So, this was a complete nightmare for me!

I tried restoring from iTunes and it wouldn't let me. I then downloaded the file for iOS 8. I hit shift instead of control (didn't know there was a difference then) to restore my iPhone 6 Plus back to iOS 8. It started to extract the file then, error. So now my phone is completely dead with the iTunes logo and connector visible. iTunes then said that my phone was in recovery mode and to restore it. So iTunes now downloads iOS 8 again. It begins to extract the file and once again ERROR! At this rate I'm starting to freak out and I'm about to go to the apple store which is an hour away from me. I give it one more go. iTunes starts to extract the file once again and miraculously it installs iOS 8.

So now I have iOS 8 back on there and I'm going through the set up motions. I come to iCloud back up and start that process. At the 30 min mark it says error with iCloud back up data. I try it again. Same thing. I go to the back up from the day before. Again it errors out! I had no choice but to set it up as new. I was so very angry!!

Long story short I definitely learned my lesson on this one. I learned the difference between shift and control when doing a restore through iTunes. I learned that iCloud back ups are not the only back ups I should do anymore. I know I could have saved myself some trouble if I would have just did a little bit more research before doing all of this. Again lesson learned!

In total from start to finish it took me 4 hours to get my phone back together. Plus an addition 2 hours of re-syncing music and apps.

The only plus side to this is I have way more storage then I did before! :)

Sorry for all your troubles, glad it worked out for you.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Not to beat a dead horse, so to speak, but don't they test these updates before they're released?

On a side note, thank you for posting the news about it. Great for those of us who haven't updated yet.
iOS 8.0.1 has supposedly been in the hands of Apple's carrier partners for over a week - one would think one of them might have noticed this issue, and Apple would not have released it before fixing the issue... ordure occurs.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

So phones that have been going in front pockets for years all the sudden are idiots? And yes not all were in a back pocket or sat on their phone... It's amazing how far people will go to defend Apple.
Almost as amazing to me as the number of people who go out of their way to trash Apple... People who don't exercise due diligence and don't take care of their devices are responsible for the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh