iOS 7 preview: Activation lock aims to keep out the crooks: Via iMore Blog

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
iOS 7 is going to take iOS features to the next level. We already have the best mobile OS, and now it will have many more features. Can't wait.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Before anybody asks because it's the first thing I thought of as well .. No dfu mode restore will not bypass the activation lock ... As of yet there is no way to bypass it

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Even when downgrading back to iOS 6 from a 7 beta, I get asked for my info.
I like this a lot. Wish it was around in December when my girlfriend's iPhone
wasn't returned to her when she realized a minute after walking out of a
restaurant restroom that she forgot her phone in there.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have any information on how Activation Lock works with selling an old phone? What steps do you need to take to make sure a buyer can actually use your old, used, phone without needing your Apple ID info?

I get why it's a great feature for security purposes, but I'm unclear on how it works with reselling.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have any information on how Activation Lock works with selling an old phone? What steps do you need to take to make sure a buyer can actually use your old, used, phone without needing your Apple ID info?

I get why it's a great feature for security purposes, but I'm unclear on how it works with reselling.

To properly wipe an iDevice for resale, you need to log out of your Apple ID (which requires your Apple ID password) BEFORE you wipe the device. THEN wipe the device. If done properly, the new owner can set the device up as his/her own without issue. If you don’t log out of your Apple ID before wiping it, you will not be able to activate the device without your Apple ID login information.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
To properly wipe an iDevice for resale, you need to log out of your Apple ID (which requires your Apple ID password) BEFORE you wipe the device. THEN wipe the device. If done properly, the new owner can set the device up as his/her own without issue. If you don’t log out of your Apple ID before wiping it, you will not be able to activate the device without your Apple ID login information.

I see, thanks. I suspect we'll hear a lot of these stories ("bought a phone, can't set it up because it needs Apple ID?!?") in the coming year.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

This would be a good 'Ambassador Guide" topic once iOS7 is public... and a forum sticky. :D

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I see, thanks. I suspect we'll hear a lot of these stories ("bought a phone, can't set it up because it needs Apple ID?!?") in the coming year.

yeah think so too I sent in some feedback to Apple that they need a way for the previous owner of the device to login online and turn off the Activation Lock. Just like how you can use Find my iPhone to remote lock, wipe, send a message. If you sold the device you obviously don't want to give the person your Apple ID. They may also be too far away so online makes it an easy way to prevent the headaches to Apple of the complaints.

Though I don't think they allow the phone to be wiped without the Activation Lock/Find my Phone being off I can't remember because I only get asked when upgrading to each beta. So I don't remember if there is a continue option or if you have to cancel turn off the setting and then wipe the device. I'm just glad they came up with this because I always thought it was stupid that even if there was a passcode lock on the device the thief could just wipe the phone and then continue to use it. I think what we will see is alot of stolen phones sold without wiping it so that the purchaser ends up with the activation lock issue. It might make buying iPhones online a PITA.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73