IOS 7 mail "unread" count incorrect

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
While viewing mailbox "unread" the # count of unread messages at the bottom is incorrect. See the included screenshot. It says 8 unread messages when in fact I only have 2.

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1381512716.240453.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Probably a glitch of some sort. Try closing out the app and removing it from the recently used list and/or a reboot and see if that helps.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I was having that issue when I was using my yahoo email account with the iOS Mail app. I have never found a permanent fix.

moshe zuchmir

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, after searching high and low I've found the following on Yahoo Answers, and it worked for me:

1. Go into the specific mailbox that has been showing this behavior.
2. Tap "Edit" on the top right corner of the screen.
3. Tap "Mark All" on the bottom left of the screen, followed by "Mark as Unread". Give the phone 30 seconds to a minute to process this. Your phone will now show a *lot* of unread messages.
4. Repeat, now marking everything as read.

It's probably better to apply this fix when there are no actual unread messages, as this will reset the count to zero.

Hope this helps.

andy957

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
That does not work for me.

If I click Edit and then in the lower-left I tap "Mark", it says "Mark as Unread", not mark as "Read", so it does seem to know that the messages are not new.

If I tap Mark as Unread, then go back and Mark as Read, it still is not clearing the unread banner.

This only happens with my Yahoo account. I'm tired of deleting and re-adding the account just to clear this flag.

BTW I'm running iOS 7.0.3 on an iPhone 5.

chazron

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
My thanx to you, this resolved the email count for both my I pad as well as my I phone.
It would appear that apple should acknowledge the glitch and address it.
Thanx again!
Chazron