iOS 7 ".com" Annoyance

xxDruMMer BoYxx

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Alright so I know iOS 7 is in beta so I'm hoping maybe this will change in the final release but, does anybody find the position of the ".com" in the browser annoying? In my experience, I constantly find myself hitting it while typing something in the search bar. So I took a look at the iOS 6 position of the ".com" because I couldn't remember where it was located in that it wouldn't get in the way, swearing that it was much smaller or somewhere else, only to realize the ".com" in iOS 6 is not there at all. The search bar and URL are separated therefore making the ".com" only appear in its respectful character while using the URL bar and not the search is iOS 6 compared to iOS 7's much cleaner look of just one bar.

iOS 6 Browser Keyboard
image.jpg
iOS 7 Browser Keyboard
image.jpg

Last edited:

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Alright so I know iOS 7 is in beta so I'm hoping maybe this will change in the final release but, does anybody find the position of the ".com" in the browser annoying? In my experience, I constantly find myself hitting it while typing something in the search bar. So I took a look at the iOS 6 position of the ".com" because I couldn't remember where it was located in that it wouldn't get in the way, swearing that it was much smaller or somewhere else, only to realize the ".com" in iOS 6 is not there at all. The search bar and URL are separated therefore making the ".com" only appear in its respectful character while using the URL bar and not the search is iOS 6 compared to iOS 7's much cleaner look of just one bar.

It was not there because it was not needed that much when searching, I find this annoying as well, but it's something that could change, 90% of what I type there is google search, websites only once in a while, I hope they include an option to disable it

xxDruMMer BoYxx

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Ya and I totally understand the whole "we'll get used to it," ...I'm just hoping they do change it. The layout of the keyboard is not what we are used to throughout the UI...the space bar is at a certain length while we text, note, type in almost every app. It hits u differently when u go to the browser.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If anyone is giving Apple feedback on this via the iOS 7 beta, I have two ideas/suggestions:

1) Make it so that once the spacebar is pressed, the .com button disappears and the spacebar expands to fill the extra space. Since URLs can't have spaces, using the spacebar means you are searching, not typing an address.

2) Shrink the .com back to a simple "." key--to access the .com, .net, etc suffixes users could simply hold down the "." key and slide to the wanted suffix in the popup menu as they do now on iOS 6.

Falcon703549

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
My company has a Developer account as we release an IOS app so I downloaded the Beta 2 version last week to test or app which works fine. This week I did the OTA update to Beta 3 and explored the head gestures just to see how it works.

BIG MISTAKE......

Once activated I was stuck in this awful loop, I could not access any programs to switch it off, it just kept going round and round and nothing I did would cancel it.

In the end I resorted to a remote Wipe of the phone as a restore was not possible as find my phone was active and it does not let you do this.

I then restored IOS 6.

Overall my impressions of IOS 7 are not great, the Whiteness of the new design makes reading my inbox's very difficult, I am 53 and use glasses to read and do computer work like many at this age, I only needed glasses for the last 7 years and I would describe myself as an early adopter of technology.

If I am put off by this design I guess a lot of other people with less patience will never even get to the stage of buying one when they experience the difficulty in reading it.

I will now wait and decide if IOS 7 is right for me, I am happy with IOS 6 style, it would be nice to have the choice of styles in the new IOS of the future.

Hope this helps, and always interesting to get feedback on easier ways to get out of that awful loop. :-(

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bubkijo10