iOS 6...the last great OS from Apple?

anon(4706822)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not looking to start a fight or huge debate but wanted to voice my thoughts about Apple and it's current state.

Last night I upgraded to iOS 7 and by this morning I downgraded back to iOS 6. I want to see if anyone else was as disappointed in iOS 7 was me. I'm not saying ALL of iOS 7 was a bust but a large portion of what I loved about Apple/iOS and the iPhone has be considering switching to DROID when my contract is up in one year.

Overall the strong, bold look that iOS 6 (and before) had was great. Rich icons, strong screens and user friendly across the board. In iOS 7 all the useful gestures, shortcuts and friendliness of ease is gone. I want to talk about the most used apps where this is most apparent.

iMessages: though there isn't a huge change in text messages I find it harder to navigate and even type with the new OS. The top of the screen where <-Messages NAME and icons appear is harder to figure out than before. Plus it feels tight up there in the space provided.

Photos: The icon annoys me. Who was responsible for the icons? Ives? Jeez, it looks more like a paint swatch than photos. That goes the same for Game Center.

iCal: Holy God! WHAT HAPPENED?! iCal on iOS 6 and before was PERFECT. I used it daily and viewed everything in Month View, which is GONE GONE, GONE BABY GONE. Now you have to tap on your day and scroll through the ENTIRE DAY to see what is happening. No more list view that is conveniently on the bottom of the FULL month. WFT?! With the update it's completely useless.

Camera: personally it bothers. For my iPhone 5 there have been no real major updates that I couldn't already do before with iOS 6. Sure adding filters in app is cool but I could do that with Instagram and it didn't cause me any discomfort.

Reminders: I preferred the way it was before. Color coded is a nice feature but it looks and feels childish. Going through reminders in the iOS felt more frustrating and difficult than tapping on a list and checking off the items one by one.

Safari: There are not enough words to describe how dramatically different Safari is from the previous version. I know people and Apple will claim it's the most used browser and will be #1 in time but I don't see that happening with this version. EVERYTHING i loved about Safari is gone. The search bubble is missing and now is a unified web/search bar, the bottom toolbar where I can toggle forward/back, add bookmarks, open tabs, etc. disappears when I am not using it. I can see what Apple was shooting for but they missed the mark in my opinion. Nothing feels like it use to and I thought the point of updates was to IMPROVE on the previous version. Viewing all my open pages is GOD AWFUL. Over the top view and the X is hard to see to close out pages.

Quick access menu: Great addition but poorly executed. This isn't more obvious than while using Safari. Reading through webpages is fine but if you swipe a bit too close to the bottom the Quick Access menu pulls up. UGH!!!! And this was the feature of iOS 7 I wanted to most. A way to access WiFi, Bluetooth, Orientation in once place WITHOUT having to go into my settings. Too bad it's a FAIL.

Overall look: Simplicity isn't always better. Say goodbye to bold, beautiful rich icons and backgrounds. Hello to Crayola, childish, hipster, uninspiring blah. If you are going to update the iOS have it go with the overall look of your flagship phone.

Never before has Android devices looked more appealing. I want a phone the feels and looks like the time we are living in. Bold, cut, sleek and sharp. There are better iPhone concepts on the web than what Apple has produced. 2014 will be the make it or break it year for Apple.

I honestly am beginning to think that with the death of Steve Jobs Apple died with him. I can honestly say that if there is no major changes next year Apple is doomed. With the latest releases of the iOS I am scared to think what Maverick will look like in time. These are the reasons I want to hold onto iOS 6 and OS X 10.8.5 for as long as I can.

iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1.4)
MacBook 13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008
OS X Version 10.8.5

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
To answer the headline question: No.

I'm fine with iOS7. It grew on me over time using the betas... now, there's no way I'd want to go back to iOS6.

"Apple is doomed"... whatever. People have been saying that with every device and iOS release since I started paying attention with the Verizon iPhone4 launch... and every one does better than the one before... yeah, Apple is doomed...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. While I disagree with much of what you said, thank you for sharing your "take" on iOS 7. I happen to like iOS 7 very much.

I agree with your take on the calendar, but I?ve been using Fantastical since it was launched, so I don?t miss the iOS 6 calendar at all.

therebdragons

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Whilst I like a lot of the added functionality of iOS7, I think the new design is horrible. Thin, unreadable fonts, washed out pages, childish color palette, icons that look like they are unfinished/underbaked. The whole design feels overly simplistic to me. They took the clean design ethos too far. I preferred iOS6, and now I can't go back. Feeling really annoyed right now.

Apple need to hear this from paying users. Politely, of course. Apple - Feedback

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the OP pretty much every point on iOS 7. They ruined the look and functionality of the OS and core apps. It's hard to put how I feel into coherent words.

- Matt

coconutxyz

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
i agree with the reminder, it is really a piece of crap couple with the notes yellow/gold color icon/font (eww)..but safari is a great improvement rather than swiping left/right, and swipe to back is far far better than in ios 6, my fingers are short so swiping gesture is pretty good for me..

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Could not disagree more, except on the month view subject?that, I really miss. Everything else, right down to the Photos icon (no more arbitrary sunflower!) I really am enjoying. When I see someone using iOS 6 today, it looks jarringly old fashioned to me?an obvious, heavily signposted design language created for a time when the touch interface was new to users. I could never go back.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I have to say I like the new ios, it smooth clean and fresh. I did like ios6, but feel ios7 has brought a hole new life to an already great phone.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
iOS 6 was great but 7 was welcomed redesign. Some of the features in 6 became very iconic like the alerts they have been seen in countless movies and tv shows. The default ringtone same thing and text bubbles. It became a big part of culture over the last 6 years.

In 7, I really love the translucent theme. I would like to see it applied more overall like to the alerts and the slide to power down and cancel controls.

I don't know if 6 was the last great iOS being that 7 is the first redesign. After a few more redesigns I could say what my favorite iOS is.

The whole vibe of 6 represents the beginning of this technology no other iOS design can take that away from iOS 6.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Far too many tech enthusiasts griped about how iOS has basically been unchanged since the first iPhone. They called it boring, old, too simple and lacked innovation. Now with iOS 7, some of those same people are still griping, but this time, they're saying, it's ugly, it looks like a child created it, why can't it be like it was, this is too difficult, they're copying Android, I hate it, can I revert back to iOS 6?, etcetera. Anyway, in regard to iOS 6 being the "last great OS from Apple", it is being that iOS 7 is the "current" great OS from Apple....:)

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have dislikes and likes about the New iOS, heck even hardware.. But again these are my views.... Not everyone is used to the new look and feature set yet....

Do I think they will evolve? 110%, it's Apple we are talking about.... :)

Curious to see how BlackBerry is doing......

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Now I will give you my views based on what you said...

My replies are in red.

//

iMessages: though there isn't a huge change in text messages I find it harder to navigate and even type with the new OS. The top of the screen where <-Messages NAME and icons appear is harder to figure out than before. Plus it feels tight up there in the space provided.

Typing different in any other app vs iMessage? Not sure what you mean tight....

Photos: The icon annoys me. Who was responsible for the icons? Ives? Jeez, it looks more like a paint swatch than photos. That goes the same for Game Center.

iCal: Holy God! WHAT HAPPENED?! iCal on iOS 6 and before was PERFECT. I used it daily and viewed everything in Month View, which is GONE GONE, GONE BABY GONE. Now you have to tap on your day and scroll through the ENTIRE DAY to see what is happening. No more list view that is conveniently on the bottom of the FULL month. WFT?! With the update it's completely useless.

You can access agenda by using notification center and also in calendar hit search, it will show agenda view.

Camera: personally it bothers. For my iPhone 5 there have been no real major updates that I couldn't already do before with iOS 6. Sure adding filters in app is cool but I could do that with Instagram and it didn't cause me any discomfort.

The camera app has changed a bit.. I don't use filters, etc.. Shutter speed is faster in the app then before.. Not full on burst mode, but it helps....

Reminders: I preferred the way it was before. Color coded is a nice feature but it looks and feels childish. Going through reminders in the iOS felt more frustrating and difficult than tapping on a list and checking off the items one by one.

I don't see a issue with the way it operates.. It works...... Now the look of it, yes I am there with you on that one...

Safari: There are not enough words to describe how dramatically different Safari is from the previous version. I know people and Apple will claim it's the most used browser and will be #1 in time but I don't see that happening with this version. EVERYTHING i loved about Safari is gone. The search bubble is missing and now is a unified web/search bar, the bottom toolbar where I can toggle forward/back, add bookmarks, open tabs, etc. disappears when I am not using it. I can see what Apple was shooting for but they missed the mark in my opinion. Nothing feels like it use to and I thought the point of updates was to IMPROVE on the previous version. Viewing all my open pages is GOD AWFUL. Over the top view and the X is hard to see to close out pages.

I really don't use button on the browser... Use swipe.. This was a new addition....

Quick access menu: Great addition but poorly executed. This isn't more obvious than while using Safari. Reading through webpages is fine but if you swipe a bit too close to the bottom the Quick Access menu pulls up. UGH!!!! And this was the feature of iOS 7 I wanted to most. A way to access WiFi, Bluetooth, Orientation in once place WITHOUT having to go into my settings. Too bad it's a FAIL.

Not really a fail... You can turn off to access control center with in apps... I myself don't use it at all anywhere.... I have no issue with visuals. I want to see my content, but big buttons... I liek how it get hidden away till I need it..

Overall look: Simplicity isn't always better. Say goodbye to bold, beautiful rich icons and backgrounds. Hello to Crayola, childish, hipster, uninspiring blah. If you are going to update the iOS have it go with the overall look of your flagship phone.

You can make text Bold or Not.. This is user preference... Your choice on how to make it look.. I use dark wallpaper all the time.. Not no visual issues for me...

Never before has Android devices looked more appealing. I want a phone the feels and looks like the time we are living in. Bold, cut, sleek and sharp. There are better iPhone concepts on the web than what Apple has produced. 2014 will be the make it or break it year for Apple.

You have to option to choose and use what you want, when you want... 2014 will not change anything...

I honestly am beginning to think that with the death of Steve Jobs Apple died with him. I can honestly say that if there is no major changes next year Apple is doomed. With the latest releases of the iOS I am scared to think what Maverick will look like in time. These are the reasons I want to hold onto iOS 6 and OS X 10.8.5 for as long as I can.

Yes a little bit of Steve went away... But the passion and inventiveness is still there... It's not just one person.. It's Apple as a whole....

\\

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Try giving it more than a few hours. I was in shock for at least the first 2 days. But now, I would never go back. To me iOS 6 now looks like a toy. With iOS 7 it's a modern touch screen UI.

I highly recommend turning off the parallax motion feature as well. That greatly eased my pain.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I have dislikes and likes about the New iOS, heck even hardware.. But again these are my views.... Not everyone is used to the new look and feature set yet....

Considering your history...that's cold. :p

WhiteSpir1t

May 26, 2013
Visit site

In response to your sig, I'll let mine speak for itself.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 <---$715 later and still waiting for apps

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods