iOS 5 has landed! How is your download / install going?

anneemonster

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to understand why my update took up 4.5GB of space. any ideas?

EDIT: disregard. after i finished syncing it went back down to where it should be :)

Last edited:

efn77mx

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I spent about 45 minutes start to finish. Everything went pretty smooth, no hiccups or error messages. I am LOVING this update! Finally being able to use my own tones for text messages and such...is f***ing awesome!

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
after finally getting back my internet connection, and 4 hours downloading and installing (on the first try!), I'm finally up to 5. Got the ATV updated too after a couple of tries. Will tackle the ipad tomorrow. Good luck to everybody else!

zer0future

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Tried earlier to update no luck, servers overloaded. Tried few minutes ago and got through server portion but couldn't update looked up the error and seems to be like the device isn't meant for this build. I am trying to update a Verizon iPhone 4. So I uninstalled all my apple software on windows 7 pc and am currently re-downloading iTunes at an awfully slow rate (for some reason there aren't a lot of mirrors for it). Will re-install and try again. This has been a vexing update situation.

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Use google, search for a direct download link, and be done. You are wasting too much time at such an easy task. Download links for ios5 are all over the web

I see a link.... Problem is once it's downloaded I don't know what to do or where to find it or how to get it on my iPhone. Not everyone is so computer savvy. You don't think I know I've wasted wayyy too much time on this?? LoL i am frustrated beyond words i'm an iphone newbie AND an iMac newbie so on top of being computer challenged to begin with - I'm screwed. I really need the update button to just do the work for me.... :confused:

zer0future

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Once you download it, open up iTunes and just cancel any box that pops up. Hold option and click restore. It will throw up a box where you can browse to the downloaded file and it will try and use that to restore your iPhone. If you do this though you will have to restore your phone from a backup after its successfully updated. I think that's all right but if someone has some more info by all means please add on to it.

Sorry forgot to mention it but you would also have to put all your music/video back on your device as well using this method.

Last edited:

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Im not getting a warm fuzzy feeling here. 2nd day and still having issues. Battery drains in hours and no push email. Hours on the phone with ATT and Apple and no progress

akmolin

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
all went fine here. I am in PA I actually woke up at 2:15am this morning (Thursday October 13) to do the update took me about an hour to do the whole process.

Mr. Chitlin

Jul 24, 2008
Visit site
I finally updated today. I plugged my IP4 into the computer to sync it and also DL iOS5. I did a download only this morning. I don't know how long it took as once the DL started I unplugged my phone and came back several hours later and it was done, but when it started it showed 89 minutes.

About 5 this afternoon I plugged the phone in and started the update. I checked it about 6 and had an error message with a -5000 code, said something along the lines of couldn't backup, continue and lose everything on the phone or cancel. I cancelled.

I did it a second time and it updated. I didn't have any music and the apps would not load. I did a restore which took about an hour and so far everything is working just fine. Total time from the second start to having a working phone was about 2.5 hours.

So far I'm pleased with my update to iOS5.

James Peaches

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
This seems to be a non starter in Africa. Any possibility of downloading in bits and how does go about it. When I try to download, the download time is 7-10hrs then it breaks before even downloading 100 Mb:mad:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77