iOS 4 download date/time?

mtbenti

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
just plugged my 3GS in, obviously iOS4 isn't out yet but just noticed the picture of my 3GS now shows the iOS4 homescreen, i assume this was bundled into iTunes 9.2

amg

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
My bet is on no earlier than 1pm EDT. That will be the first moment that all of the world time zones (excluding uninhabited areas) will have entered the magic day.

nycpnut

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
AMG's logic sounds good. Though, I would say that what happened the past two years might not come into play this time around.

They obviously realized that releasing iOS and a new phone on the same day was a bad idea, hence the three-day lead. But also notice, regardless of what problems they had, that the pre-order for iPhone 4 went on much earlier than for 3GS.

I think smart idea would be releasing it around 1:00 AM PDT to avoid the peak time, especially since literally millions of people will be accessing their servers to update.

Then again, they should have been prepared for last Tuesday, as well, let alone the disaster that was upgrading to iOS 2.0.

nycpnut

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I guess arguments can be made on both sides.

If you announce a release time (or hour range) then you almost guarantee those first hours possibly overloading your servers. However, at least they can prepare for that, right?

On the other hand, if you don't announce a release time, you risk infuriating (but most likely not alienating) your customer base, right? Also, by announcing it in advance (at 4:00 AM EDT, for example) you might have a huge hit right away, but that would almost guarantee that the normal "peak" hour traffic would be mitigated, right?

I dunno. I'm an impatient child. I've a busy day tomorrow, won't be near a computer and I just *want it now*!

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
The downloads are hosted on "the cloud." I believe Apple uses Akami. So there is plenty of bandwidth to handle the sudden demand of downloads....all at once.

Apple hasn't announced when because they're going to remain consistent. They never announce when and don't want to set a precedent otherwise. :)

nycpnut

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
You know something, taylorh? That sounds like the most plausible explanation. You're absolutely right.

Once they announce something in advance, everything else will need to be.

Funny. Can't believe I never thought about that.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
It sucks having to wait all day here in the UK. Last time I updated there was a server overload so it would make more sense to release the upgrade st different times according to which country you live in. Given I've got a 3G the update isn't that major for me it just gives me something to play with until I (hopefully) get a new iPhone on Thursday.

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Found the problem, you have to do a restore and not just upgrade in order for it to see 4.0. Its downloading now. Boom!

OlegWasHere

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Restored Last Night To Non JailBroken 3.1.3 3gs
started download about 1:38 eastern time and am up and running with two syncs in already
works great and took under half an hour.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I downloaded the update but my 3G was stuck at the backup stage so I haven't been able to upgrade. Going by the Apple discussion forums, I'm not the only one with this problem. Hoping to get an iPhone 4 on Thursday so I'm not too bothered especially as the 3G doesn't get all the really cool features.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods