• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

iOS 18 is here

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
fascinating... ! So where does RCS impinge on our lives without Google Mail facilitating it ?
Probably Google’s proprietary implementation of it. But Apple does not support that version, so… 🤷‍♂️

Also, from the specification, it supports encryption, so it can be more secure than the older SMS and MMS that it seeks to replace. I can’t confirm if the carriers have enabled that feature; I would need to poke the server - for which I don’t have the name.
I will note that that this is server-client encryption, not recipient-recipient (E2EE).

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
Apparently using rcs bypasses the carriers server entirely and uses google servers instead.
And
a google employee also revealed google receives the non-encrypted message and stores it in Google servers.

Ouch at the poster claiming rcs has nothing to do with google.

giphy.gif

Sources:
“The article below explains that the RCS data bypasses the carrier and uses data connection and Google's servers.”

And

“The initial version of RCS supported end-to-end encryption, but Google killed it later in their "Chat" implementation. “

And

“Edit: a user has just shared an article in which Google employee says that Google does indeed receive the non-encrypted message and stores it in Google servers, at least temporarily, according to the employee.”

Your first and last article is way outdated, 2019. Middle article explains the journey of RCS. As far as encryption, Apple has clearly stated they are committed and will get both ends encrypted and work with Google as Google will work with Apple as they want this also.

Nobody, well at least most, never expected the journey of Imessage and RCS to be flawless out the gate. iMessage didn't work as it does now without improvements. This is just phase one of Imessage and RCS working, there will be several more improvements. If anyone is that concerned about encrypted messages they have the option to turn it off. I've been using both Android and iPhone, mostly Android, and I've never had a security issue due to texting, I also don't use texting for sensitive content. I don't understand your hatred on Android to this extent that you would rather be limited on messaging options and not want to improve Imessage for all. I understand maybe waiting for the encryption part, but if you want nothing to do with it then just turn it off and forget it, don't be so negative for those that do want it.

I'm quite impressed that Apple is finally working to improve this issue between iPhone and Android, even though their hands were a little tied and forced into it. Let's embrace improvements and options.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Your first and last article is way outdated, 2019. Middle article explains the journey of RCS. As far as encryption, Apple has clearly stated they are committed and will get both ends encrypted and work with Google as Google will work with Apple as they want this also.

Nobody, well at least most, never expected the journey of Imessage and RCS to be flawless out the gate. iMessage didn't work as it does now without improvements. This is just phase one of Imessage and RCS working, there will be several more improvements. If anyone is that concerned about encrypted messages they have the option to turn it off. I've been using both Android and iPhone, mostly Android, and I've never had a security issue due to texting, I also don't use texting for sensitive content. I don't understand your hatred on Android to this extent that you would rather be limited on messaging options and not want to improve Imessage for all. I understand maybe waiting for the encryption part, but if you want nothing to do with it then just turn it off and forget it, don't be so negative for those that do want it.

I'm quite impressed that Apple is finally working to improve this issue between iPhone and Android, even though their hands were a little tied and forced into it. Let's embrace improvements and options.

I haven’t asked anyone on this board to enable or disable rcs.

I am posting facts from a google employee regarding googles implementation of rcs that everyone should know about before making their decision.

People’s privacy and security are important issues to most users especially when it comes to “SECURE” communications, even if it inconveniences you.

And no the information is not outdated regarding googles implementation of rcs that;

1) Bypasses the carriers server entirely and uses google servers

2) google receives the non-encrypted message and stores it in Google servers.

These are not small concessions to using RCS, they are for most users dealbreakers. You might not like that but that entirely on you.

You need to stop blaming Apple for the rcs standard, that is the sole responsibility of the gsma. Google never worked with them to refine the standard instead they decided to fragment the standard to benefit themselves.

As a result rcs doesn’t even work on all Android devices as I posted above and Google will eventually have to adopt the new standard and lose the ability to see your messages or fragment the standard further. We all know which way Google is currently leaning.

Apple is not working with Google on rcs, Apple wasn’t intimidated to use rcs by Googles weak ad campaign or the eu.

Apple added rcs due to a new law that will be enacted in China this year, mandating all 5G devices to support RCS in order to receive certification in China. Btw China version of rcs does not work with googles. 🤣

giphy.gif

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
I haven’t asked anyone on this board to enable or disable rcs.

I am posting facts from a google employee regarding googles implementation of rcs that everyone should know about before making their decision.

People’s privacy and security are important issues to most users especially when it comes to “SECURE” communications, even if it inconveniences you.

And no the information is not outdated regarding googles implementation of rcs that;

1) Bypasses the carriers server entirely and uses google servers

2) google receives the non-encrypted message and stores it in Google servers.

These are not small concessions to using RCS, they are for most users dealbreakers. You might not like that but that entirely on you.

You need to stop blaming Apple for the rcs standard, that is the sole responsibility of the gsma. Google never worked with them to refine the standard instead they decided to fragment the standard to benefit themselves.

As a result rcs doesn’t even work on all Android devices as I posted above and Google will eventually have to adopt the new standard and lose the ability to see your messages or fragment the standard further. We all know which way Google is currently leaning.

Apple is not working with Google on rcs, Apple wasn’t intimidated to use rcs by Googles weak ad campaign or the eu.

Apple added rcs due to a new law that will be enacted in China this year, mandating all 5G devices to support RCS in order to receive certification in China. Btw China version of rcs does not work with googles.

giphy.gif
Again just turn it off and move on. We all know how you feel on it. It's as simple as just turn it off.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Again just turn it off and move on. We all know how you feel on it. It's as simple as just turn it off.

I did turn turn it off and you replied to the post and have been fixated on the subject ever since.

You mean that I don’t want to use an unencrypted, unsecured, unfinished standard that goes to do Google servers and they can read it.

Who would have thought?

giphy.gif

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
We shall see what we see. My reading this afternoon seems to indicate that various UK carriers are just planning on handing over messaging to Google, also a lot of conflicting information about. I feel that it would be helpful if Apple was clear about what it/we are heading towards.

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
I did turn turn it off and you replied to the post and have been fixated on the subject ever since.

You mean that I don’t want to use an unencrypted, unsecured, unfinished standard that goes to do Google servers and they can read it.

Who would have thought?

giphy.gif
Lol, ok

Edit.. I'll do one better, I'll block you again. I get loving a product but you serve no use to me since if it's not apple it's junk. I use both so I know the differences. I'm looking for objective advice and info and that's never going to come from you. I and the rest are getting tired of us going back and forth so I'll end it so we can have as better forum to get help

Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Lol, ok

Edit.. I'll do one better, I'll block you again. I get loving a product but you serve no use to me since if it's not apple it's junk. I use both so I know the differences. I'm looking for objective advice and info and that's never going to come from you. I and the rest are getting tired of us going back and forth so I'll end it so we can have as better forum to get help

You seem upset.

Not really, rcs is objectively junk even with you begging people to give it a chance even though rcs was introduced back in 2008 hardly a new technology like you so erroneously claimed.

You use both because you bought a $2,000 pos from Samsung and when it broke Samsung told you to go kick rocks. Which hurt your ego being a loyal Samsung customer for so many years, so you picked up an iPhone.

Only back and forth is due to you not wanting anyone reading or posting any negative facts related to RCS or Samsungs current failures in foldables/ premium devices. Which honestly seems to have gotten your goat.

It is quite ironic that you claim to want objectivity and yet initiate personal attacks on anyone posting objective facts that seems to hurt your feelings.

giphy.gif

You take care now, the next quarter is going to be brutal for your company of choice 🤣

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for being done with this conversation. FFR, let’s cut back on some of the antagonizing. Thanks.

Reactions: FFR

TNT

Feb 16, 2024
Visit site
Lol, ok

You have to excuse him. He's a troll. He attacks anything Google or not Apple. He's probably the main reason the site is shutting down due to low traffic. Say anything good about anything non-apple and he goes on the attack. I use both android and Apple devices as well. Good luck on trying to have an intelligent conversation with the individual. You'll be bombarded by screenshots and laughing emojis. Just ignore the individual.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You have to excuse me. I’m a troll. I attack anything Apple. I’m probably not the main reason the site is shutting down due to low traffic. I spread misinformation about apple and he goes on the attack. I use android and claim to use Apple devices as well. Good luck on trying to have an intelligent conversation with me. You'll be bombarded with personal insults and more misinformation. Just ignore me I was previously banned from imore.

Did your foldable break again 🤣

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guideontheside