iOS 17 Developer Beta 1

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Those are no longer required.

Apple moved it to a software update setting in iOS 16. Of note, it might require an Apple Developer account to be signed in.
View attachment 132622

You’re supposed to only get the option for the iOS 17 betas when you have a developer account. I don’t have that. I’m a lowly peasant and not a developer, nor have I ever paid for a developer account.

Edit: this is the reason:
Apple has made a huge error with its iOS 17 beta, and now anyone can upgrade — but don't
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...p?posts/3308343/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm on iOS 16.6 Public Beta, but don't see the option for iOS 17 beta. Apple must have closed that down for non developers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I know someone in the same position as you but he figured it out eventually.
I’m confident you’ll do too.

I received a notice earlier while I was in the office that claimed that Apple was making the developer betas free to download and install for everyone. Yep, the Verge, MacRumors and others have been reporting it.

Reactions: Tartarus

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I received a notice earlier while I was in the office that claimed that Apple was making the developer betas free to download and install for everyone. Yep, the Verge, MacRumors and others have been reporting it.
I have read the same thing on 9to5Mac.

syx6sic

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site

Yea I read the same thing basically on yahoo saying Apple mistakenly released it to the public but I’m not sure since I am signed up for it

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea I read the same thing basically on yahoo saying Apple mistakenly released it to the public but I’m not sure since I am signed up for it

I’ve maintained a developer account for years and I typical renew around on around June 1 before WWDC kicks off, but this year I did not (waiting to close on a newly built home).

Anyway, I saw the iOS 17 update in the settings and then I installed without any issues. I also updated my Watch 5 (cellular model). The battery life on my iPhone 14 Pro running the new beta is great, but it’s horrible on my watch. I was down to 35% when I got home from the office.

I’ve rebooted it and then put it on the charger in hopes that it’ll be better tomorrow. I updated my iPad Pro about 30 minutes ago and it’s working well thus far.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Safari

be96fb7500747948476d9f7ffd75f525.jpg

syx6sic

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I’ve been a public beta tester for several years, never a developer beta tester. Now, I have the iOS 17 dev beta available.
6394d86dbe2b1767dd72577b28d491d6.png

I think something in their new system that is replacing the profile system is messed up with separating developers and public is messed up but they can’t really do much about it right now so they might play it off as they wanted everyone to have access early to it and when they finally put the public beta out then it would be fixed

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I think something in their new system that is replacing the profile system is messed up with separating developers and public is messed up but they can’t really do much about it right now so they might play it off as they wanted everyone to have access early to it and when they finally put the public beta out then it would be fixed
Notwithstanding of a possible defect in their system, iOS/iPadOS/macOS/watchOS betas are now free for all developer accounts, paid or not.

If you ever enrolled into the Apple Developer Program, this would explain why you can see it.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

rlacrossjr

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Ya never paid for dev account. Just the online profiles and with the update to 16 in the update section. The developers beta is there on all my devices. Like it’s linked to your Apple ID lifetime membership.

rlacrossjr

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Only issue I have is data and WiFi connections slow or drop. But I’m in Syracuse NY and in direct path of Canada fires smoke. API is 300 this morning. Have a red Sun
c1b362302cb48ec270ffd6797a49a9ed.jpg

syx6sic

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
FWIW, @BrandonButch reported yesterday on Twitter that "The iOS 17 Developer Betas are now officially free! You just need to sign in with an Apple ID here to access the Betas: https://developer.apple.com/account/"

MacRumors has also reported this information: https://www.macrumors.com/2023/06/06/developer-betas-free-to-download/

Yea I seen that also but they did have other stories also that recommends not just everyone install it since it could cause issues and to only install it if u know what ur doing

Reactions: Annie_M

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yea I seen that also but they did have other stories also that recommends not just everyone install it since it could cause issues and to only install it if u know what ur doing

I think the concern was if Apple closed that mistake, one might get stuck on the dev beta. And if there were too many bugs and glitches, there would be no way to go back to iOS 16. I do see a few bugs. Mostly in Messages with the new features. Nothing major. They'll get it smoothed out.

syx6sic

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I think the concern was if Apple closed that mistake, one might get stuck on the dev beta. And if there were too many bugs and glitches, there would be no way to go back to iOS 16. I do see a few bugs. Mostly in Messages with the new features. Nothing major. They'll get it smoothed out.

Yea they will probably close it up when the release the public betas next month doubt they will keep it open the whole time

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR