IOS 14, existing apps.....

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
OK, I'm doing my usual ie letting the 'enthusiasts' test drive the iOS 14 update / upgrade, on an admittedly 'older' iPhone 8Plus, either on beta or as a regular user - Ditto my wife, same phone except predating mine by a year. Maybe I'll do the big update once I see more feedback ie probably mid Oct. What has been happening despite many MANY App updates is that some of my stalwarts have been behaving strangely even though updated. Aren't current apps having shown to be updated for a new iOS not usually back-compatible with the iOS in use ie if it's an app I've used for years, shouldn't it work properly in iOS 13, even if updated to iOS 14 functionality? I speak of simple apps ie my local newspaper ( messed up on both my iPhone & iPad,) and lots more glitches in Reminders, moreso on iPad...I've deleted then re-downloaded / installed a few, with glitches still frequent in those specific apps. Comments (??)

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
OK, I'm doing my usual ie letting the 'enthusiasts' test drive the iOS 14 update / upgrade, on an admittedly 'older' iPhone 8Plus, either on beta or as a regular user - Ditto my wife, same phone except predating mine by a year. Maybe I'll do the big update once I see more feedback ie probably mid Oct. What has been happening despite many MANY App updates is that some of my stalwarts have been behaving strangely even though updated. Aren't current apps having shown to be updated for a new iOS not usually back-compatible with the iOS in use ie if it's an app I've used for years, shouldn't it work properly in iOS 13, even if updated to iOS 14 functionality? I speak of simple apps ie my local newspaper ( messed up on both my iPhone & iPad,) and lots more glitches in Reminders, moreso on iPad...I've deleted then re-downloaded / installed a few, with glitches still frequent in those specific apps. Comments (??)

In which way did these application updates hinder your devices?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
White screen or freezing.... I've at times had relief by closing app then reopening but not a surefire fix.

David, I'm still using my iPhone 6s Plus. Before I updated to iOS 14, I wasn't having any issues with apps that had updated for it. Also, iOS 14 works great on my old 6s Plus.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
The 'Barbados Nation News App' is quite revised ( when it chooses to work, despite a 'delete & re- download'. 'Reminders' is the canned Apple product.
I'm quite happy to remain ' in the holding psttern' awaiting a few bug fixes to iOS 14 before I take the plunge. - Heck it was December before I got to iOS 7 on my 4S, back when I was young(er)

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hard to say 'several' simply because I use only a few apps frequently. But it's enough grist for the mill to 'hang in the straps' a while longer. Remember, not really a robust safety net of support if things come unglued here in the tropics.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Oh and Led......I finally moved the hammock to the back ie east side patio to escape the sun on the other side of the house, all afternoon. I can use the 'back' deck from about 10 AM as the sun has climbed to give me better shade. Since a few storms of late essentially blocked the Tradewinds & their steady breeze, the norm has been 30 degrees (86F) by 06:30 AM

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I did iPad 14.01 overnight - neat stuff but 'NationNews' still borked. - strongly suspect the App connection with the Newspaper itself so it's in their wheelhouse. I then did iOS14.01 this morning -impressed, battery use is high but I suspect it will improve over a few days as all settles down. Nation News broken on phone too - and their browser website also is down so it can't be me with the issue. // HOT OFF THE PRESS!
With 14.01 successfully installed on iPad and phone, I once again deleted and reinstalled ie 'new app' on 'new OS'......so far so good.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I did iPad 14.01 overnight - neat stuff but 'NationNews' still borked. - strongly suspect the App connection with the Newspaper itself so it's in their wheelhouse. I then did iOS14.01 this morning -impressed, battery use is high but I suspect it will improve over a few days as all settles down. Nation News broken on phone too - and their browser website also is down so it can't be me with the issue. // HOT OFF THE PRESS!
With 14.01 successfully installed on iPad and phone, I once again deleted and reinstalled ie 'new app' on 'new OS'......so far so good.

If NationNews is the only one with issues, then they likely need to update their app. If they don't soon, you might try reaching out to the developer.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Latest - Nation News still a mess. ( iOS, iPad OS) Considering our other popular daily periodical, the 'Online Only' Barbados Today has had periods of being 'offline' for months at a time, I really don't expect a quick fix. Only pandemic driven pressures will push a few of these institutions to 'move ahead into the present'. It's a local but frustrating phenomenon

Last edited:

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Feeling I have is that they had their developers 'update' the app for iOS 14 compatibility but it got pooched in the process ie neither consistently functional with either iOS 13 OR 14, iPhone or iPad. Back to the browser it will have to be.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Now done on all devices ie my wife's iPhone plus, as well as her iPad Air 2. Her local newspaper app is like mine, trouble at every turn but I'm sure it's the app itself, not iOS. All 4 devices show somewhat high battery drain but my 2 are improving gradually from 'post-update' battery drain syndrome so stay close to chargers.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Feeling I have is that they had their developers 'update' the app for iOS 14 compatibility but it got pooched in the process ie neither consistently functional with either iOS 13 OR 14, iPhone or iPad. Back to the browser it will have to be.

I now have good service on the local 'Nation News' App on both iPhone & iPad. Considering that they didn't respond to a voice mail left for the Webmaster, or a FB messenger text message, or an email to their IT people, I can assume 'server-side' issues which have been fixed.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods