iOS– How to search for folders?

sh elley

Apr 10, 2022
Visit site
Subject: How to search for Folders on my Home Screen.

Device: iOS. iPhone and iPad.

Background:

I extensively create and use folders to organize apps and internet links I use: currently I have 15 home screen pages with 200 folders (uniquely and topically named) with 1,800 apps and links filed in them. Utilizing a personal system of paged categories and sorting folders alphabetically within categories, make this possible and effective for my purposes.

(If I need an app or link but forgot which folder it's in, I can easily get to it directly by searching for the app/link name via the home screen search bar or else via the app library search bar.)

But:

I haven't found a way to search for folder names. Two scenarios below:

1) Folder maintenance.
Example. I have too many folders that contain the character strings "apple" and "ios" in the folder name, and I want to find them all and scrutinize them to consolidate them. My only choice now is to manually inspect my 200 folder names.

2) App/link maintenance.
Example. I have in one of my folders an internet link that I no longer need. As I said above I can search for and find an app/link via the home screen search bar or the app library search bar. But I have no way to find the folder the link is in so I can delete that link from that home screen folder.

So, my questions:

Is there a way to search for folders, by folder name, that are on my home screen?

Is there a way to search for an app/link that also tells which folder it's in?

Thanks for the hope and help!

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please be patient while awaiting a response. Your duplicate thread has been removed from view. Thanks.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore! I’m curious… and please forgive me if I missed it… what device are you using, and what app?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If your app icons or bookmarklets have a title underneath, you can use Spotlight Search. Pull down on your homescreen, then enter the app/bookmarklet name in the search. It should show the folder name to the right side. Netflix is in my Media folder.
8e10b2dc01fb584824d923d887340af1.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you just want to delete the app/bookmarklet, you can long press on the search result in Spotlight Search. You will see a delete option. So no need to go to the folder.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
If your app icons or bookmarklets have a title underneath, you can use Spotlight Search. Pull down on your homescreen, then enter the app/bookmarklet name in the search. It should show the folder name to the right side. Netflix is in my Media folder.

Today, I learned something new

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There's apparently no way to search a folder quickly. But even with 15 screen pages of folders, it shouldn't take long to find the one you want. Wouldn't it be easier to keep your bookmarklets in Safari as bookmarks? You can create bookmark folders. Why do you need them all on screen as bookmarklets? How many of the 1,800 are apps?

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I use this many times. Works great.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro