Insurance / Warranty

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
For the Verizon people -

Is the insurance really worth it? I think it works out to almost 200 dollars over the life of the contract (or up to the upgrade time after 20 months). The most likely problem is some type of hardware failure, which would be an Apple Warranty issue.

Suppose nothing happens to it. I've now paid $200 for a device for nothing. And if it is lost/stolen/broken, that has a street value of, what, $500 to $800 to replace? Except that if I lose it a year from now, it won't even be the newest Apple phone anymore, and worth considerably less.

I dunno. I dropped my BlackBerry frequently, but I'm putting this thing in an Otterbox and going to really try to avoid breaking it. Does EVERYBODY get some type of insurance, or has anyone else looked at the cost/benefits and said no?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I'd give anything to go back to add it before my trip to Minnesota in Sept/Oct where my phone was stolen and I had to shell out several hundred to replace it. I'd rather pay $200 over the life of the contract to have the ability to buy it cheaper without having to reup my contract for 2 years or whatever, than have to shell out $500-$800 or whatever a new one would cost with my specifications. I pay for it so that I don't have to worry about another getting stolen or dropping/damaging it.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
For the Verizon people -

Is the insurance really worth it? I think it works out to almost 200 dollars over the life of the contract (or up to the upgrade time after 20 months). The most likely problem is some type of hardware failure, which would be an Apple Warranty issue.

Suppose nothing happens to it. I've now paid $200 for a device for nothing. And if it is lost/stolen/broken, that has a street value of, what, $500 to $800 to replace? Except that if I lose it a year from now, it won't even be the newest Apple phone anymore, and worth considerably less.

I dunno. I dropped my BlackBerry frequently, but I'm putting this thing in an Otterbox and going to really try to avoid breaking it. Does EVERYBODY get some type of insurance, or has anyone else looked at the cost/benefits and said no?

Have my 4S insured via my homeowners/renters ins full retail + case/screen protector + tax for $60 a year NO DEDUCTIBLE

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
For the Verizon people -

I have both TEC with Verizon and AC+ Verizon's insurance includes coverage for lost/stolen phones--and thats the ONLY reason i put that insurance on my iphone. If i was to have any other issues, i'd go directly to Apple and use my AC+ insurance.

When i had all of my blackberries over the corse of 4+yrs, i always took just the extended insurance on it, which at the time was $1.99mthly--idk what its at now. But when i got my iPhone in November, because it is clearly a more delicate device--i wanted to protect myself all around.

Are there people that go without insurance at all? Sure. But i wouldnt. In the long run, i'm covered just in case--if i never have to use it--then so be it. I'm not going to worry about spent money on insurance if i never used it, at least i knew i was always covered. That would be like having/spending money on health insurance, never getting sick and never using the insurance for what its intended for because you didnt need it. BUT it was there in case it was needed:)

PrePlus79

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
For the Verizon people -

Plus $169.00 deductible so IMHO it is absolutely not worth it...

Just sticking with apple care+ myself.

nolhayes

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Plus $169.00 deductible so IMHO it is absolutely not worth it...

Just sticking with apple care+ myself.

as with all insurance it's only valuable IF something happens. You can have it for 10 months 15 months etc and nothing happens to your device but you have the assurance of knowing that if something goes wrong you don't have to come out of pocket $600 for a new iPhone.

sure over the course of your contract you may end up spending $10 bucks a month for insurance and then the price of the deductible so technically you've bought a new iPhone but in the event something happens only having to spend $170 for a 16gb and 199 for a 32GB iPhone for replacing it lost/stolen is not bad at all.

Currently I want a 64gb 4S which is $850 unsubsidized, imagine being FORCED to replace that because it was stolen or lost somewhere.

Also I don't agree with having both AC and carrier insurance. I went wiht carrier insurance because it covers lost (verizon) and the iphone already comes with a year so in my case I want a 4S that will have ANOTHER year warranty so I'm basically good.

ALSO you can buy applecare anytime within that year and activate it. Carrier insurance you only have two weeks after you get your device to activate the insurance so you really have to act quickly.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
as with all insurance it's only valuable IF something happens. You can have it for 10 months 15 months etc and nothing happens to your device but you have the assurance of knowing that if something goes wrong you don't have to come out of pocket $600 for a new iPhone.

sure over the course of your contract you may end up spending $10 bucks a month for insurance and then the price of the deductible so technically you've bought a new iPhone but in the event something happens only having to spend $170 for a 16gb and 199 for a 32GB iPhone for replacing it lost/stolen is not bad at all.

Currently I want a 64gb 4S which is $850 unsubsidized, imagine being FORCED to replace that because it was stolen or lost somewhere.

Also I don't agree with having both AC and carrier insurance. I went wiht carrier insurance because it covers lost (verizon) and the iphone already comes with a year so in my case I want a 4S that will have ANOTHER year warranty so I'm basically good.

ALSO you can buy applecare anytime within that year and activate it. Carrier insurance you only have two weeks after you get your device to activate the insurance so you really have to act quickly.
Thanks for the discussion, everyone. Making this decision later today, so it is appreciated.

AppleCare+ is intriguing to me, I agree with the poster above that the $169 (times two for me and my wife's phones) is just a bit much. I wouldn't knock anyone willing to pay it, because it's certainly worth it IF you damage or lose the phone, but I just don't think I can justify that level of protection.

Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPhone

Here's how I look at it. I have a 2-year contract coming up (24 months)...

If the hardware itself fails, you automatically have one year (12 months) of warranty coverage.

After 20 months, I will be eligible to an upgrade on whatever the new phone is at that time.

The most likely scenario is that I drop this thing and it breaks. Heck, I dropped my BlackBerry a dozen times in the last week (telling myself I'm getting it out of my system). I'm going to use an Otterbox Reflex, which is a moderately protective case and hope for the best.

But I'm not really worried about loss or theft. Apart from the fact that I'm obsessed with my phone and have it on me at all times, if I lose it or get it stolen, that's my own friggin' fault. With AppleCare+ (which I think is $99 for 4s), I'm covered against two accidental damage incidents, though I have to pay $49 if the service is done. Obviously, that's better than street value, even on the 16GB model.

I'm leaning towards no plan or AppleCare+. I don't want the extra 70 dollars per phone just for theft/loss coverage.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

Interesting...when I searched for some articles, some of them seemed to claim that you had to activate it at the time of your purchase. Then I was just at Target and noticed an AppleCare+ package was hanging on a rack in the store, so it would appear you could activate it later. Good to know.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR