In regard to the iPhone 6 Plus, is 16 GBs enough storage?

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
And that's why I was kind of taken aback by the person's retort to my comments...because my comments were seriously only in reflection to the shrinking of usable storage based on the ever expanding size of the OS. I know there are about a million various types of consumers, all with different needs, demands and limitations...and to me, the cost of the phone was not even in my thought process as I talked about getting rid of the 16GB, but truth be told, I don't think a tiny niche of consumer really has much pull on the manufacturing decisions of a company like Apple, which is why we don't have 8GB iPhone's anymore, which was, at one time, the most popular variant.

Gotcha, kinda I guess its all on how you look at it.

1. I see a base model 6+ 16gb - $749 4x more storage $100 more 8x more storage $200 more to the base model price.

2. I could think 6+ 16gb should be 32gb at $749 then 2x more storage $100 more and 4x more storage at $200 more to the base model price.

In all honesty I really feel that the newer larger iPhones especially the 6+ should only come in 32 and 64gb variants with expandable storage capabilities up to 128gb

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
... also, you'll actually only be getting roughly around 12GB of storage on the iPhone, ' out of the box.' So again, 16GB is pointless.

I have a 16 GB nexus 5 and a 16 GB iPad mini. Its enough space for me. I use the cloud and my nexus 5 is practically my computer. It was a choice not a need. I may go 32 or 64 next time depending on what is available and what space apps are taking at the time but today 16 is fine.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I personally have numerous friends who purchased the smallest storage size Available on a device that most of them will keep for 2 years. All of them regret it due to the pictures they take and games they load up.

To me for the extra $100 weather you can afford it or you have to save for it is worth it.

My son purchased his first phone on his own and saved his money to get the one he wanted.

WH1T3H4T

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a 16 GB nexus 5 and a 16 GB iPad mini. Its enough space for me. I use the cloud and my nexus 5 is practically my computer. It was a choice not a need. I may go 32 or 64 next time depending on what is available and what space apps are taking at the time but today 16 is fine.

Interesting. Everyone has a reason. I have the 64GB due to:

Songs: 2157 - 17.93GB
Apps: 117 - 15.51GB

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Why would I pay for you to enjoy a luxury item? We aren't talking necessities here, and my opinion stands...as the years go on, 16GB quickly becomes obsolete to anyone outside of those who must have that size because of financial reasons. Eventually, when the OS takes HALF the usable onboard storage (like it does on some other manufacturers phones), people will migrate. I just think consumers could sway the market and make the carriers introduce higher capacity entry models, and maybe even do as Apple has done before where they adjust pricing accordingly as well for the benefit of the consumer.

This is a terrible argument, lol. It's like a person who can't afford a smart phone PERIOD telling me to put my money where my mouth is for supporting the further development of smart phones. I'm sure 4GB suited someone's needs that couldn't afford to move up in the storage hierarchy...thankfully those people were a very tiny sample size, and we moved on to what we have today, which will hopefully eliminate the soon to be obsolete 16GB size.

Don't get bitter with me because of your financial choices. My comments had nothing to do with limiting people who could only afford the 16GB model...it had to do with the idea that, as we've seen historically, Apple would release a larger capacity entry model without touching the pricing point, or if they did touch it, it would be a very negligible increase in the scheme of things.

I have no reason to be bitter with you about my financial choices. I don't waste my money on storage that I don't need on a smartphone. How you came to interpret that as me not being able to afford more capacity, I don't know.

Your original post tells other people what to buy or not to buy so yes, I think that you should put your money towards those purchases. Otherwise, just state things as your own personal preference. What other people buy should not concern you.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have no reason to be bitter with you about my financial choices. I don't waste my money on storage that I don't need on a smartphone. How you came to interpret that as me not being able to afford more capacity, I don't know.

Your original post tells other people what to buy or not to buy so yes, I think that you should put your money towards those purchases. Otherwise, just state things as your own personal preference. What other people buy should not concern you.

Would it bother you to have the 32 gb for the same price as the current 16 gb, even though you only needed 16 gb?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Would it bother you to have the 32 gb for the same price as the current 16 gb, even though you only needed 16 gb?

My issue is with spending extra money solely on additional storage when I don't need the additional storage to begin with. If a 32GB model were the base model at the same price as the existing 16GB model, I would have still bought it because that would have been the lowest amount available. It's what I did with my Note 3, Note 4 and Note Edge. However, that is not the case with the iPhone.

Two and a half months in, I still have 8.8GB available on my iPhone now. I could have taken a 12GB phone if one existed, but it doesn't so I go with the smallest size available to me.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

What in god's name are you talking about? My original post was an opinion that if people stop buying the 16GB model, that Apple would probably stop producing it, and hopefully (if history remains true) would take the next step up (probably the 32GB) and offer it for the same price (or negligibly higher).

It had nothing to do with a preference...I don't give two sh*ts what YOU buy or what ANY other person buys, nor do I care what works for you or what doesn't work for you. My post wasn't about your needs, it was about a historic precedence of higher amounts of storage as a base line (IE: the removal of the 8GB model for the 16GB model, without an increase in cost).

Your trying to make an absolutely irrelevant point here...and it's kind of humorous really. I don't think you even fully comprehended my original post, I think you, for whatever reason, took offense to someone suggesting the removal of the 16GB model, and went off on some bizarre tangent about it. I'd like to offer you some advice...understand that my original comment was in reflection of the quickly shrinking storage capacity on iPhones which goes along with the quickly growing OS, and that is why I suggested people abstain from buying the 16GB model...so that the entry level model (at the entry level price) is a higher storage version, which won't be made obsolete by a ever growing operating system.

I'm still laughing over the fact that you retorted asking me to give money for a more expensive device just because you don't see a value in them...lol! On what planet does that make any sense at all?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If a 32GB model were the base model at the same price as the existing 16GB model, I would have still bought it because that would have been the lowest amount available. It's what I did with my Note 3, Note 4 and Note Edge.

Hence my original post...I can't believe this is flying over your head when you literally just described my original point to the T! If people stopped buying the 16GB model with such frequency, history has shown us that Apple would replace it with a higher capacity entry level model, and in the past, the price has remained stagnant, so we could theoretically expect the same thing to happen.

How is this difficult for you to grasp? And why are you throwing such a temper tantrum over me paying for you to have the higher capacity phone, and how I need to stop worrying about other people's purchases? I assure you, the LAST thing on my mind is what you buy with your money...but in a general observation, I think it would benefit the consumer as a whole if they were paying the entry price for a higher capacity phone, regardless of how much capacity they actually use.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
What in god's name are you talking about? My original post was an opinion that if people stop buying the 16GB model, that Apple would probably stop producing it, and hopefully (if history remains true) would take the next step up (probably the 32GB) and offer it for the same price (or negligibly higher).

It had nothing to do with a preference...I don't give two sh*ts what YOU buy or what ANY other person buys, nor do I care what works for you or what doesn't work for you. My post wasn't about your needs, it was about a historic precedence of higher amounts of storage as a base line (IE: the removal of the 8GB model for the 16GB model, without an increase in cost).

Your trying to make an absolutely irrelevant point here...and it's kind of humorous really. I don't think you even fully comprehended my original post, I think you, for whatever reason, took offense to someone suggesting the removal of the 16GB model, and went off on some bizarre tangent about it. I'd like to offer you some advice...understand that my original comment was in reflection of the quickly shrinking storage capacity on iPhones which goes along with the quickly growing OS, and that is why I suggested people abstain from buying the 16GB model...so that the entry level model (at the entry level price) is a higher storage version, which won't be made obsolete by a ever growing operating system.

I'm still laughing over the fact that you retorted asking me to give money for a more expensive device just because you don't see a value in them...lol! On what planet does that make any sense at all?

You aren't making any sense at all, so I'm done with you.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
^^^16 gb iPhone @ $199.99 = OK for base price.
32 gb iPhone @ 199.99 = Not OK for base price. It's "spending extra money solely on additional storage to begin with."
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421127609.728068.jpg

selena650

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I got the iPhone 6 plus 16gb and i love it. Out of the box it came with 10.2GB. I don't know why. But i got all of my apps that i wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
My issue is with spending extra money solely on additional storage when I don't need the additional storage to begin with. If a 32GB model were the base model at the same price as the existing 16GB model, I would have still bought it because that would have been the lowest amount available. It's what I did with my Note 3, Note 4 and Note Edge. However, that is not the case with the iPhone.

Two and a half months in, I still have 8.8GB available on my iPhone now. I could have taken a 12GB phone if one existed, but it doesn't so I go with the smallest size available to me.

^^^16 gb iPhone @ $199.99 = OK for base price.
32 gb iPhone @ 199.99 = Not OK for base price. It's "spending extra money solely on additional storage to begin with."

That's not what I said at all. I said that I would have bought a 32GB iPhone if it were the same price as the 16GB model. If I had a problem with it, I would not have bought it at all. I even said that I had a problem spending extra money for extra storage that I don't need. What is so hard to understand about that?

wbeard385

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Specs are numbers we don't actually see. Performance we see and the iPhone 6 worthy of the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I got the iPhone 6 plus 16gb and i love it. Out of the box it came with 10.2GB. I don't know why. But i got all of my apps that i wanted.

Congrats!!!!! Enjoy your device!!!!

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
That's not what I said at all. I said that I would have bought a 32GB iPhone if it were the same price as the 16GB model. If I had a problem with it, I would not have bought it at all. I even said that I had a problem spending extra money for extra storage that I don't need. What is so hard to understand about that?

I have no idea why this is difficult for some to understand. I think your point was clear.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Awesome. Enjoy your new phone.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
i filled up 20 GB the day i got mine. i really wouldnt encourage anyone to get 16

I would not encourage either but the OP has made her decision and she's now got an awesome 6 Plus. So what we need to do now is to offer tips and tricks on how to manage the storage she's got.

I know that one of the things I do is to perform frequent backups. I also keep my Inbox and Messages as clean as possible. Delete old stuff.

Anyone else have any helpful tips and tricks?

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You aren't making any sense at all, so I'm done with you.

No, you clearly realized how asinine your original retort was and you are trying to back out without publicly accepting it. It's ok, when people read it, I think it's very clear who wasn't making any sense at all.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal