iMore's iPhone X Review

ScottsoNJ

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Again, I'm not arguing that at all. I'm sure Face ID is really, really good. I just think talking about Touch ID as being some second-class citizen from one day to the next is ridiculous especially after 20 hours with an iPhone X. He sounds more like a salesman than a reviewer when he makes comments like that. Therefore, I find his bias even more blatant.

Mr. Mobile already showed that touch id is faster.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Mr. Mobile already showed that touch id is faster.

After reading what Gruber said about just pretending their is no biometrics/passcode to just swipe up and not wait for FaceID I decided I'd try it that way. I do raise to wake, swipe and it unlocks. It actually is faster than TouchID if you do it that way. You don't have to wait for FaceID at all. Just swipe as soon as the screen turns on. I'm wearing a hat right now, and it was instantaneous for me.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I think people should look beyond the headline and read the entire article to get a true comparison and context.

It will be interesting to get true user experiences from those that have lived with TouchID and now are using FaceID in the everyday real world.
In my day of using my X I've found FaceID to be much quicker than TouchID. I do wish that I didn't have to swipe the screen to open the phone like with the iris scanner on my Note8.

ScottsoNJ

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
In what manner was it overboard, in your opinion? I’m not asking to attack you or anything like that. I just want to understand your viewpoint.

It just seemed to me like a rah rah fan review rather than a tech reviewer review. I understand most reviewers will be partial to which operating system they use on a daily basis but also most reviews aren't this gushing and ogling like this one.

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
In my day of using my X I've found FaceID to be much quicker than TouchID. I do wish that I didn't have to swipe the screen to open the phone like with the iris scanner on my Note8.

Face ID has been great for the most part. To overcome the swipe part, I’ve been swiping up as soon as I grab the phone, the second phone sees me I’m already on the home screen.

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
It just seemed to me like a rah rah fan review rather than a tech reviewer review. I understand most reviewers will be partial to which operating system they use on a daily basis but also most reviews aren't this gushing and ogling like this one.

For that reason I never watch Rene’s reviews, he’s not a tech enthusiast/reviewer IMHO, he comes off as an Apple fanboy only. I do think the iPhone X is the best phone of 2017 for my needs, but his review is a bit (a lot) childish.

ScottsoNJ

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site

I'm just curious, if the phone is laying on a table all you have to do is touch the home button and the phone unlocks as opposed to picking it up and swiping up how does make face id is faster? Same as if the phone is in my pocket I can put my hand in my pocket with my finger on the home button,pull the phone out and it is already unlocked as opposed to pulling it out,bringing up to my face and than swiping up? Now you might like face id more and that is your right but it doesn't seem anywhere as fast as touch. Same with Samsung's retina scan. I can put my hand in my pocket with my finger on the fingerprint sensor and pull it out unlocked as opposed to pulling it out of my pocket and bringing it to my eye.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm just curious, if the phone is laying on a table all you have to do is touch the home button and the phone unlocks as opposed to picking it up and swiping up how does make face id is faster? Same as if the phone is in my pocket I can put my hand in my pocket with my finger on the home button,pull the phone out and it is already unlocked as opposed to pulling it out,bringing up to my face and than swiping up? Now you might like face id more and that is your right but it doesn't seem anywhere as fast as touch. Same with Samsung's retina scan. I can put my hand in my pocket with my finger on the fingerprint sensor and pull it out unlocked as opposed to pulling it out of my pocket and bringing it to my eye.

You can still tap to wake X and swipe while you’re looking at it.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

I find the retina scanner on Samsung to be the fastest, followed by FaceID. My problem with TouchID was in keeping the sensor clean. In terms of ergonomics I'd take the figerprint scanner on the back like my Pixel XL had over where it was on my 7 Plus.

I've found my one and only complaint with FaceID so far and that's in it not working with my suglasses. My Samsung Note8 would still read my retinas through them and with TouchID it's a non-issue.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think people should look beyond the headline and read the entire article to get a true comparison and context.

It will be interesting to get true user experiences from those that have lived with TouchID and now are using FaceID in the everyday real world.

I just got mine today and see no delay in accessing the phone vs Touch ID. When I pick up the phone and look at it, the screen wakes up and recognizes my face. Lock switches to unlock, and swipe up to open the phone. I was unsure at first but pleasantly surprised to be able to get in quickly. I'm doing it in one pass, much like @FaisDogg mentioned above.

NSpooner

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I find the retina scanner on Samsung to be the fastest, followed by FaceID. My problem with TouchID was in keeping the sensor clean. In terms of ergonomics I'd take the figerprint scanner on the back like my Pixel XL had over where it was on my 7 Plus.

I've found my one and only complaint with FaceID so far and that's in it not working with my suglasses. My Samsung Note8 would still read my retinas through them and with TouchID it's a non-issue.

Mine is working fine with sunglasses. I’m surprised you’re having an issue.

ezeuzo1

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I stumbled across his video review on YouTube and I made the same argument. It's just fanboy rah rah rah. Hard to watch. Even understanding that he doesn't want to bite the hands that are feeding him (Apple). On another note, the X has been better than I thought it would be. I'm enjoying it better than I thought I would

ScottsoNJ

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
For that reason I never watch Rene’s reviews, he’s not a tech enthusiast/reviewer IMHO, he comes off as an Apple fanboy only. I do think the iPhone X is the best phone of 2017 for my needs, but his review is a bit (a lot) childish.

Oh I'm sure it is the best. I would expect nothing less from Apple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh