iMessages from a contact showing as phone number not name in Catalina....

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
On all my Macs, iMessages from a particular contact (my wife, no less) are coming up in notifications showing her number, not her name.

It recognizes it is her/associates the contact, as it shows her contact picture, but displays the number not her name.

She seems to be the only contact doing this, and even more oddly, in threads with multiple people, the others will show their name in the notification and she will be in the middle as a number.

This same thing is happening on my two MacBooks and my iMac I upgraded. On my Mac I have not upgraded it is behaving normally, as it is on my iPad and iPhone. So, it definitely appears to be a Catalina issue.

There is nothing odd in her contact entry and it is not duplicated.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That is indeed strange and I don’t know why it’s happening to you. I text quite a bit via my MacBook Pro and all of the names my contact display. Hopefully, the issue will clear itself, especially being that it is only occurring with one contact.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I've had this happen before but ALL contacts in iMessage appeared as phone numbers. Never had just one contact act that way.

Hopefully someone will chime in that has seen that.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't have Catalina yet, but this is happening with my wife's contact in watchOS 6, fwiw. The notification properly shows her name, but going into the messages app shows just her number. All other contacts are fine.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes, but have not noticed this issue on any device other than the Macs on Catalina.

Ok, just for grins and giggles, let’s try this:

Open the Apple Watch app, go to General/Reset/Reset Sync Data. When you select Reset Sync Data, it will appear as nothing is happening. All the “magic” is happening behind the scenes. Wait a while then all devices.

I’ve had this work in the past but all my messages were showing up as numbers.

Worth a shot.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
This may be because of how your wife has set up her “allow contact on” or actual contact entry. we have just suffered something similar and rectified it. I cannot tell you how because it was a group and I suppose we all fiddled with it. But I’ll bet that something has changed, this kind of thing sometimes occurs after updates, or someone “tidies up” an entry.

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Lee -

I've had the issue where contacts disappear from the watch and what you've suggested fixes it. Are you saying that you think this could rectify the issue I'm having on the Macs running Catalina? I don't see how it could.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Lee -

I've had the issue where contacts disappear from the watch and what you've suggested fixes it. Are you saying that you think this could rectify the issue I'm having on the Macs running Catalina? I don't see how it could.

I don't either but it won't hurt to try. At least then we'll know it did or didn't work. That's why it's called "troubleshooting a problem".

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods