iMessage on IOS 7 not working over cellular network?.

iosman002

May 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

I have a problem with iMessage on IOS 7 that, as far as I'm aware, only started in the past few days (possibly since the recent 7.02 update). I think it's slightly different to all the other problems described on here and I've tried those fixes but without success.

Essentially iMessage will not send (or receive, I think) over cellular network. When I try to fix this by turning it off and on (with Wifi switched off) I get told that it can't be turned on as I need to activate cellular data, but it is activated.

The only way to turn it back on is with Wi-Fi enabled. But then as soon as I turn that off to simulate being out without a wireless connection, iMessage doesn't send.

thanks
iosman

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have a problem with iMessage on IOS 7 that, as far as I'm aware, only started in the past few days (possibly since the recent 7.02 update). I think it's slightly different to all the other problems described on here and I've tried those fixes but without success.

Essentially iMessage will not send (or receive, I think) over cellular network. When I try to fix this by turning it off and on (with Wifi switched off) I get told that it can't be turned on as I need to activate cellular data, but it is activated.

The only way to turn it back on is with Wi-Fi enabled. But then as soon as I turn that off to simulate being out without a wireless connection, iMessage doesn't send.

thanks
iosman

“Recent 7.02 update”? iOS 7.0.2 was released in 2013. Anyway, based on what you’ve posted, it appears you may need to contact your cellular provider to purchase a cellular data plan.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
“Recent 7.02 update”? iOS 7.0.2 was released in 2013. Anyway, based on what you’ve posted, it appears you may need to contact your cellular provider to purchase a cellular data plan.

And maybe upgrade to a more current device?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

thanks
iosman

Hello and welcome to iMore. Have you spoken with your Carrier to ensure that there aren't issues with your cellular service?