I'm using my wife's old iPhone as a WIFI-only device, but have some questions.

feenyman99

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
So... My wife just got a new iPhone and, rather than discard or trade in her OLD iPhone (6S, iOS 12.1.2), I'm keeping it, and using it as a WIFI-only device. In other words, I'm using it for apps like Spotify, Podcasts, Gmail, etc., accepting the fact that I can only do so when I'm connected to WIFI. I'm only using it around the house, so the WIFI requirement is not a problem. I don't want to make phone calls with it, and I have removed the SIM card.

This is working just fine, with a few exceptions, namely...

1) Attempts to send text messages fail ("Not Delivered"). I'm wondering if this is because this iPhone is still associated with her Apple ID, which is in conflict with her new iPhone. If so, can i change the Apple ID to mine? And, if so, how?

2) Even though this iPhone has no SIM card, sometimes when my wife gets a call on her new iPhone, it rings on this iPhone as well (interrupting my Spotify or Podcast stream - rude huh? :). How can i keep that from happening?

Thanx for any guidance.

feenyman99

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So... My wife just got a new iPhone and, rather than discard or trade in her OLD iPhone (6S, iOS 12.1.2), I'm keeping it, and using it as a WIFI-only device. In other words, I'm using it for apps like Spotify, Podcasts, Gmail, etc., accepting the fact that I can only do so when I'm connected to WIFI. I'm only using it around the house, so the WIFI requirement is not a problem. I don't want to make phone calls with it, and I have removed the SIM card.

1) Attempts to send text messages fail ("Not Delivered"). I'm wondering if this is because this iPhone is still associated with her Apple ID, which is in conflict with her new iPhone. If so, can i change the Apple ID to mine? And, if so, how?

2) Even though this iPhone has no SIM card, sometimes when my wife gets a call on her new iPhone, it rings on this iPhone as well (interrupting my Spotify or Podcast stream - rude huh? :). How can i keep that from happening?

Thanx for any guidance.

feenyman99

The phone is still associated with her iCloud account, so face time calls will still come through on the phone. As will regular calls if her account is setup to allow calls on other devices. As for texts not going through, you won’t be able to send texts to any device that doesn’t have iMessage enabled. That’s just a drawback of using it WiFi only. Unless I’m mistaken on that last one, which I might be, however, I would assume it’s because there is no SIM card in the phone and thus no phone number on the device. So iMessage only without a phone number. Hopefully others chime in if I do happen to be incorrect on the last issue.

iKevinJ

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site

Thanx for any guidance.

feenyman99

I’ve been doing the same thing with numerous old iPhones around the house and even in vehicles for mapping etc. by using the personal hotspot in my current iPhone. I’ve never removed the SIM cards. Go into settings on your wife’s iPhone to Cellular, and turn off “Allow Call on Other Devices”. Also while in Cellular settings, under “Wi-Fi Calling”, turn off “Add Wi-Fi Calling For Other Devices”. For the older iPhone, back up your current iPhone to iTunes on a computer. Restore the old iPhone from the computer to your current iPhone and rename that iPhone after it’s been duplicated to yours. Then sign that old iPhone in to your iCloud account. I’ve not used my older iPhones for text messages but it should work the same as using my wi-if iPads.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
It sounds to me like her Apple ID is still in use on the old device, which is why calls on her new device ring to that one. Same on my setup. When I get a call on my iPhone, I also get ring notifications on my MacBook Pro and iPad.

Have her log out of her Apple ID on that device, and then you can log in.

As for iMessages, as long as it's enabled on that device and set up to send/receive from your Apple ID, then it should work. I have a wifi only iPad Pro and iMessage works just fine.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
iMessage works well on my iPads,talk to wife about swapping her ID for yours on said device and see how that pans out !

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
As others have suggested, I would definitely have her log out of her Apple ID, and then log in with yours! When my MIL passed away last year, I did this with both of her iPads... my brother in law took one and my husband took the other, and both are working without any issues.

teacher609

Sep 14, 2021
Visit site
As others have suggested, I would definitely have her log out of her Apple ID, and then log in with yours! When my MIL passed away last year, I did this with both of her iPads... my brother in law took one and my husband took the other, and both are working without any issues.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox