I'm underwhelmed by my new iPhone 6s, and I'm bummed about it.

nola111

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm a pretty huge Apple and iPhone fan. I have been since day one. I get the latest and greatest every year. For the first time ever, that excitement that I usually have on launch day when I have my new phone in hand isn't there. I'm not sure why - could be that I don't feel like there's anything "new" to be had, or it could be that my brain is just overloaded and de-sensitized to everything these days. It's such 1st-world problems, I know, and I do feel a bit bad about complaining about it, but maybe this post is here to invite some people who ARE loving their new 6s to chime in and say, do this or try that or take it to the dog park and shoot some 4k video haha. I know it's kind of hard to make suggestions when I'm the only one here who knows what interests me, but hey, I like getting conversations going with people who have a love of all things Apple like me.

I saw a sort of similar thread nearby here about someone who had the novelty of their 6s wear-off after the first day. I almost just responded to that thread instead of starting a new one, but I never even had the first-day novelty, I just started using the phone and thought "So what?... I just spent $1k on this?"

Anyway, I feel very fortunate to have the phone and typically am not a whiner like this - I'm usually a guy who can't even sleep when anticipating the release of any new technology, not just Apple's. Just felt like I had to get that off my chest, and would to love to hear anyone's thoughts. No need to bother with posts yelling at me for being negative or ungrateful or whiny or silly or (add your favorite adjective here)... because I already know I'm all those things. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe at some point, your new device or an iOS update may cause you to feel a little differently. If not, that's how it is sometimes. In the meantime, you might as well make the best of it.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Still overwhelmed and excited about it haha =P
Coming from a 5S, I found out it was what I always looked for in an iPhone (Ok.. I am easily impressed, but still).

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It's natural. The higher the expectations, the bigger the underwhelming. Adjust your expectations accordingly to your device.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm gonna feel happy because mine isn't coming until Tuesday. I've been living without touch ID and on an older, slower device.

I was promised I'd have it on the 25th but yeah, obviously not.

If anything, take joy that you've got your device. That it's working properly and you don't have defects, enjoy that you've got 2GB of RAM so faster everything, go take some 4k photos and marvel at the quality, or just simply be grateful you had that 1k to spend at all....

Trying to be positive.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.

nola111

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm enjoying reading the responses, thanks to all taking the time to reply. - I might also add that I'm coming from an iPhone 6. If I were coming from a 5s or lower as someone mentioned, I think it would definitely be a little different. It otherwise feels like the same phone to me.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
One thing that I personally deal with is restraining over-romanticizing some piece of technology. We don't need any of this and more often than not, we are manipulated into believing we do. This is why companies spend so much on advertising. Humans are very good at being manipulated. Apple knows this and they are much more adept at selling less for more.

Do you need 4K video when most people just post things to instagram or facebook? No, not really.
Do you need to save a few extra clicks on your screen with force touch? No, not really.

You need to decide if spending $700 on those features is really needed. It's all a personal thing and your opinion on this is just as relevant as those snarky comments above.

My friend recently upgraded from a 4S to an iPhone 6S. The upgrade is most definitely justified for him but I can understand going from a 6 to a 6s could seem underwhelming especially after all the hype here on iMore. We all fall for this.

Again this is something you need to ask yourself but I understand you wanting opinions on the matter.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm enjoying reading the responses, thanks to all taking the time to reply. - I might also add that I'm coming from an iPhone 6. If I were coming from a 5s or lower as someone mentioned, I think it would definitely be a little different. It otherwise feels like the same phone to me.

I had a 6 and sold it. I think the fact that it's exactly the same in the way it looks, it gives you that "I don't feel upgraded" feeling.

I think once you've really started using the features though, you'll feel and see the differences better.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
When you think about it, I suppose that it makes sense on some level. Almost as soon as one device is launched, the hype begins for the next. There are rumors, wish lists, and threads about "what do you think/want to be in the next one". Then June comes around and WWDC happens and the hype about the next version of iOS... and that signals the official countdown to the September iPhone event. More rumors, artist renderings, concept videos, etc... and then the day comes where Apple itself hypes the new device, and the feeding frenzy begins.

The whole thing is an emotional roller coaster ride for some/many/most Apple fans of pre-ordering, standing in line or racing from store to store trying to find the new device. I really don't see how this can continue... yet it does. Eventually, reality has to set in.

And to the OP, I certainly can see your point, and feel you pain.

Last edited:

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I got the 6s yesterday and have similar feelings. It is better in every way compared to the 6 but only marginally. Overall, the whole iPhone experience is very consistent between devices now. Sure it is faster than the 5s but the overall experience feels the same. I just don't think it is worth upgrading every year anymore for a small addition of features. I've had the 6 and 5s and it just feels like the same thing but a little faster.

I am happy with my 6s and my advice to anyone getting one is that if they think it is going to be vastly different than your 6 or even 5s, it really isn't. In my opinion, the iPhone's greatest strength has always been its quality developers. For now, I don't think developers will go crazy with 3D Touch for another year or two when almost all iPhones out there have it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess my main question to you, OP, would be what were you expecting exactly?

The 6S is a polished and enhanced version of the 6...like when you have a car and then you have a "Sport" model of a car. Now I can't sit here and force you to be impressed with your new device, that all comes from what you allow yourself to be impressed with...personally, the 3D Touch to me is a pretty cool new feature set, and I can really see a nice depth of functionality coming for this just based on what we've got early on.

The improved performance from the new chip set and upped RAM makes a noticeable difference for me on my 6S Plus...and setting up my wife's phone this morning, I could tell that her 6S was definitely the same. Perhaps you're just the type of consumer who isn't really blown away by this kind of thing, and that is understandable...I know my brother, who was messing with my 6S Plus yesterday, said "I don't see the difference...", and I figured he would be like that as he isn't really invested in technology at all. He's your typical base line consumer.

The camera was already fantastic on these devices, so increasing the MP's was something that I feel most people won't even notice in most situations...and we've tried to explain that before in threads on this website, but people are drawn to megapixels and things like "4K video" like it's a substantial option, when in reality, the camera on the last generation iPhone was top notch and this just continues that with a bit more polish.

The "S" line phones are enhancements...so if you were expecting something new and improved, maybe now you see that the "S" line of iPhone isn't for you, and you should hold your upgrades until the full on redesigns vs. the refresh models.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I never expect a huge improvement when I upgrade every year. I know that it is going to be similar. But I get to upgrade every year so the enhancements, however minimal, are good enough for me.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I got the 6s yesterday and have similar feelings. It is better in every way compared to the 6 but only marginally. Overall, the whole iPhone experience is very consistent between devices now. Sure it is faster than the 5s but the overall experience feels the same. I just don't think it is worth upgrading every year anymore for a small addition of features. I've had the 6 and 5s and it just feels like the same thing but a little faster.

I am happy with my 6s and my advice to anyone getting one is that if they think it is going to be vastly different than your 6 or even 5s, it really isn't. In my opinion, the iPhone's greatest strength has always been its quality developers. For now, I don't think developers will go crazy with 3D Touch for another year or two when almost all iPhones out there have it.

On day two there's already a few app updates for 3D Touch. Two months from now all major apps will be utilizing it and it will be hard to use a phone with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nola111

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I guess my main question to you, OP, would be what were you expecting exactly?

The 6S is a polished and enhanced version of the 6...like when you have a car and then you have a "Sport" model of a car. Now I can't sit here and force you to be impressed with your new device, that all comes from what you allow yourself to be impressed with...personally, the 3D Touch to me is a pretty cool new feature set, and I can really see a nice depth of functionality coming for this just based on what we've got early on.

The improved performance from the new chip set and upped RAM makes a noticeable difference for me on my 6S Plus...and setting up my wife's phone this morning, I could tell that her 6S was definitely the same. Perhaps you're just the type of consumer who isn't really blown away by this kind of thing, and that is understandable...I know my brother, who was messing with my 6S Plus yesterday, said "I don't see the difference...", and I figured he would be like that as he isn't really invested in technology at all. He's your typical base line consumer.

The camera was already fantastic on these devices, so increasing the MP's was something that I feel most people won't even notice in most situations...and we've tried to explain that before in threads on this website, but people are drawn to megapixels and things like "4K video" like it's a substantial option, when in reality, the camera on the last generation iPhone was top notch and this just continues that with a bit more polish.

The "S" line phones are enhancements...so if you were expecting something new and improved, maybe now you see that the "S" line of iPhone isn't for you, and you should hold your upgrades until the full on redesigns vs. the refresh models.

I hear ya Sean, I really do. I guess if I had to answer your question, I would say I was expecting the same level of excitement I've had with every other new iPhone model, including S models. And as I mentioned in my first post, maybe it's me and not the phone.

So it would seem this might have a lot more to do with psychology and a lot less to do with technology. I think HankAZ's and jdhooghe's posts certainly do a good job of articulating that.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm just the opposite. I absolutely love mine. I gave my iPhone 6 to my mom when I got my Galaxy S6 in April. I'm so glad to be back to iOS! I'm especially liking 3-D Touch, which I didn't expect. Maybe take your 6s back and get Android to use for the year. You'll look forward to the iPhone 7 for sure.