I'm underwhelmed by my new iPhone 6s, and I'm bummed about it.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I will say this, the Touch ID sensor is awesome. All I have to do is barely touch the thing and it works flawlessly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alias3800

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I understand the feeling, although it isn't one that I share. This phone (6S Plus) feels completely different to me compared to the 6 Plus. The phone... It was just starting to lag too much. I pay attention to frames dropping and other minutia - so this phone, I can just feel the processor chewing through everything. It's great. I game and can tell the processor is just chillin'. To me, it's a great feeling - having what I perceive to be the smoothest phone.

Then, the RAM. I had to change the way I used the iPhone because the 1GB was so limiting. I couldn't edit a photo on Instagram and leave to two other apps because when I came back - POOF, all my work was gone. Yeah... Try filling out a form on Safari. It's an exercise in frustration. Well, it's much less of an issue with the 6S.

And the added weight and firmness of the phone (minutia, but I definitely feel and notice it) is fantastic, it feels much safer out of a case.

I think it's great. I can definitely see how someone would not care about these differences though, and feel like they've been duped out of a lot of money. Apple's marketing can make someone do that haha

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on what device you switch from. I used a 6 plus for the better part of a year with spending some time with galaxy s6, note 5 and eventually realizing the 6 plus was the best device for me. Now using the 6s plus I truly appreciate the device because I know the other options out there.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the 6 plus to the 6S not plus and I'm definitely enjoying the upgrade. While I miss my bigger screen and bigger battery. The camera has been a good trade off for me. I'm an amateur photographer so I love playing with the 12 MP photos and filming videos.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I will say this, the Touch ID sensor is awesome. All I have to do is barely touch the thing and it works flawlessly.

I've got a love hate feeling about that. I enjoy it when I want to use my phone. But I listen to a lot of music. Sometimes I want to wake the phone up and change the track without unlocking it.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I've got a love hate feeling about that. I enjoy it when I want to use my phone. But I listen to a lot of music. Sometimes I want to wake the phone up and change the track without unlocking it.

You have 10 fingers. Use a different one. #problemSolved

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

I can understand that. Try just using the power button to wake the screen, but not unlock it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I can appreciate where you are coming from. I upgraded from a 6 Plus to a 6s Plus and, just as many have already mentioned, it looks the same and performs incrementally better. That being said, the camera upgrade is substantial and I'm already starting to find the 3D Touch shortcuts quite useful. 3D Touch is like Touch ID when it was first launched: it takes a while to appreciate it--and remember that it's even there--but then you can't live without it.

The question on my mind is what more could we expect our phones to do? Mobile devices have become so advanced that blowing our minds with new features and performance enhancements isn't going to come a often as it used to. If you want your mind blown upgrade every 3-4 years. If you're okay with incremental improvements then once a year or every two years does the trick.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I can appreciate where you are coming from. I upgraded from a 6 Plus to a 6s Plus and, just as many have already mentioned, it looks the same and performs incrementally better. That being said, the camera upgrade is substantial and I'm already starting to find the 3D Touch shortcuts quite useful. 3D Touch is like Touch ID when it was first launched: it takes a while to appreciate it--and remember that it's even there--but then you can't live without it.

The question on my mind is what more could we expect our phones to do? Mobile devices have become so advanced that blowing our minds with new features and performance enhancements isn't going to come a often as it used to. If you want your mind blown upgrade every 3-4 years. If you're okay with incremental improvements then once a year or every two years does the trick.

Over the last two years, there has seemed to be a slow down as far as advancements in the mobile space. I remember about 5 years ago, it seemed as though there was a new smartphone with bigger and better specs being released every week. There were always new features to consider. And now, most manufacturers have settled on just releasing their flagships. Most of them are the same, just look different in hardware and software. And it seems as though Android is becoming more locked down and moving toward the philosophy of iOS. So, we get devices that are a little faster with a few features that we didn't have before. But the room for major improvement in mobile tech I believe has diminished significantly. I also believe that people have somewhat settled on how they want to use their smartphones. Lol. I remember when people used to think that their BlackBerry smartphones could replace their laptops.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I came from a Gold iPhone 6 to a Rose Gold iPhone 6 Plus and I couldn't be happier.

It's like buying a new pair of shoes. If I buy Bass Black Wayfarer Penny Loafers every single Fall, I'd be pretty much done with Bass Wayfarer Penny Loafers. But....for this Fall I bought Bass Burgundy Wayfarer Penny Loafers. So....I like Bass Wayfarer Penny Loafers as my Fall shoes to walk from Union Station to my office. They do the job admirably well. I know the fit, I know the quality, I know what to expect. So...for the job at hand, I buy what works for me. I see women wearing 5 inch heels on the same walk and but I'm not interested in 5 inch heels to walk three blocks. I don't envy them. I actually know that in summer, I won't have to deal with bunions. I also know I wont' have to deal with ingrown toe nails. So....my choice is perfect for me.

I'm not underwhelmed by my phone or my shoes because I pick a different colour. I'm not underwhelmed because I'm happy that what I buy works for me. I'm not underwhelmed because I don't care what others choose. I've got other phones/shoes at home. But for me, both my Bass Penny Loafers and my iPhone 6s Plus are EXACTLY what I want.

Which is why I buy them.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I came from a Gold iPhone 6 to a Rose Gold iPhone 6 Plus and I couldn't be happier.

It's like buying a new pair of shoes. If I buy Bass Black Wayfarer Penny Loafers every single Fall, I'd be pretty much done with Bass Wayfarer Penny Loafers. But....for this Fall I bought Bass Burgundy Wayfarer Penny Loafers. So....I like Bass Wayfarer Penny Loafers as my Fall shoes to walk from Union Station to my office. They do the job admirably well. I know the fit, I know the quality, I know what to expect. So...for the job at hand, I buy what works for me. I see women wearing 5 inch heels on the same walk and but I'm not interested in 5 inch heels to walk three blocks. I don't envy them. I actually know that in summer, I won't have to deal with bunions. I also know I wont' have to deal with ingrown toe nails. So....my choice is perfect for me.

I'm not underwhelmed by my phone or my shoes because I pick a different colour. I'm not underwhelmed because I'm happy that what I buy works for me. I'm not underwhelmed because I don't care what others choose. I've got other phones/shoes at home. But for me, both my Bass Penny Loafers and my iPhone 6s Plus are EXACTLY what I want.

Which is why I buy them.

You lost me at shoes 😋

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
You have 10 fingers. Use a different one. #problemSolved

Or i can just use the power button. I've registered both thumbs and both index fingers. Would feel odd to use any other finger. Thanks for the insightful recommendation though. You're just too helpful.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Which is why I buy them.

Lil, your shoe analogy is lost on all of us guys. Most of us have wives with closets full of shoes, and we can't tell one pair from another.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Lil, your shoe analogy is lost on all of us guys. Most of us have wives with closets full of shoes, and we can't tell one pair from another.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

I understand the analogy. And I think it's her creative way of explaining the same thing that everyone else says. You should make purchases based on what works for you. This is an individualized thing, not everyone has the same usage or expectation of a product. To be honest, I'm not sure why consumers think that Apple products are going to change much year over year anyway. The iPhone and iPad specifically seem like universal smartphones and tablets to me. They span so many different types of users and are used in a myriad of environments. To make dramatic improvements could be problematic. One of the things that I value about iOS and iOS devices is that I know what to expect for the most part. Sure, when there are new features, it's fun to try them. But for the most part, I want my devices to be predictable. I rely on them too much.

nola111

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I just wanted to drop back in at this point in the thread and thank everyone again for their replies. I've read every one of them a couple times over and really have enjoyed everyone's views and opinions. As stated in my original post, I very much enjoy these kinds of conversations with other iPhone fans.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I understand the analogy. And I think it's her creative way of explaining the same thing that everyone else says. You should make purchases based on what works for you. This is an individualized thing, not everyone has the same usage or expectation of a product. To be honest, I'm not sure why consumers think that Apple products are going to change much year over year anyway. The iPhone and iPad specifically seem like universal smartphones and tablets to me. They span so many different types of users and are used in a myriad of environments. To make dramatic improvements could be problematic. One of the things that I value about iOS and iOS devices is that I know what to expect for the most part. Sure, when there are new features, it's fun to try them. But for the most part, I want my devices to be predictable. I rely on them too much.

I was just giving her a hard time... I did get her point...

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Which is why I buy them.

I always get the same color but I'm one of those crazy women who can buy 15 of the exact same shirt, all in the same color and still be happy about it. So for me, I spoiled myself by getting a 128GB instead. Upgrading the closet space for the shirts. ;-)

I'm really excited to get my phone tomorrow because I want to see that Harry Potter magic of live photos. Haha

The little things in life...

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

William Ode

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Yea... its all part of the marketing scheme, they can't change a phone too drastically in a single year. Wait every 2-3years, then its always a wow factor. On the other hand, maybe the constant dopamine stimulation from external stimuli needs to chill a bit. I heard nature has a huge wow factor.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yea... its all part of the marketing scheme, they can't change a phone too drastically in a single year. Wait every 2-3years, then its always a wow factor. On the other hand, maybe the constant dopamine stimulation from external stimuli needs to chill a bit. I heard nature has a huge wow factor.

I heard the new iPhones take amazing nature photos!