I'm taking it off!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
My iPhone 13 case that is. :cool:

I read this article from ZDNet in my Apple News this morning and found it very persuasive:

Apple politely explains why iPhone cases are a waste of money.

Before you explain why you rightfully need a case and that it as saved you many times, let me say that going caseless is surely not for everyone. But it is right for me. I very rarely drop my phone, of all the iPhones I've owned I have had to replace ONE cracked screen, and I have Apple Care.

So, I'm going caseless. When I replace my 13 with a 14 in a couple of months, I can decide then whether it still looks as good as it does now. And it does look fantastic out of the case.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I read this article from ZDNet in my Apple News this morning and found it very persuasive:

Before you explain why you rightfully need a case and that it as saved you many times, let me say that going caseless is surely not for everyone. But it is right for me. I very rarely drop my phone, of all the iPhones I've owned I have had to replace ONE cracked screen, and I have Apple Care.

So, I'm going caseless. When I replace my 13 with a 14 in a couple of months, I can decide then whether it still looks as good as it does now. And it does look fantastic out of the case.

Welcome to the club, sir. :)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I do have a few cases for my pink 13 mini just because they look pretty on the phone, but once in a while I do leave my phone nekked

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
There’s definitely some truth here. Humans tend to be creatures of habit. Smartphone beginnings didn’t have gorilla glass/ceramic shields they do now, or refined resistant materials. If You go over to the tech channels that do machine drop testing, you really! have to drop your high end flagship phone. On the iPhone 12, on that test the phone was like a tank. If memory recalls, it took a number of 5 foot drops before it even started showing damage (but kept on going drop after drop after drop). That outer metal banding on an iPhone makes it very tough if it takes the impact.
But there’s the insurance and peace of mind side. If the phone hits absolutely just right, it can crack the glass unless it has a case. A scratch if it hits concrete and skips unless it has a case. The case makes almost all drops ok. That’s pure peace of mind
Of course the screen taking the brunt of a fall onto a protrusion is ground zero for ‘ouch’. With or without a case the result is likely to be painful to the phone, your wallet and your mood.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I always suspected Apple (and a few other manufacturers) to make their phones so slippery on purpose.
After dropping a slippery phone, customers either have to buy new ones. Or pay for repairs. Or buy cases to avoid damage in the first place. ++revenue generation.
Why were almost all older phones not slippery at all?
They can't tell me that there are no modern materials that are sturdy, beautiful, affordable, radio friendly and good looking.
I almost never drop my phone(s). Maybe once per year?
Yesterday this once per year happened to my 13. Due to slipperyness. My fault that it had no case on.
Screen & back survived, but there is a dent on the frame now.
This means $ 100,- less resale value in an instant.
Yes I could have used one of the cases that I already have.
But I want my phone(s) to be as slim and light in my pocket as possible.
And what's the point of making/buying beautifully designed phones in nice colors, and then hide them in bulky cases?
And don't get me started on these disgusting fingerprint magnets, which look beautiful for 2.5 seconds, until you take them out of the box.
All of that makes no sense, except to drive incremental revenue.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I drop my phone regularly, no further than a couple of feet but regularly. I need a case !
Just chipped the edge of my screen protector where I swipe up, happens every couple of years, think I pinched it with a key, dammit !

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I use a case on my phone because it is slippery. If they made the surface textured, I might consider not using a case. But otherwise, I'm sticking with the case.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I use an Apple leather case. Phone is still slim and light in pocket. The dark cherry looks great to boot.

I haven’t used a screen protector in God only knows how many years.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I always suspected Apple (and a few other manufacturers) to make their phones so slippery on purpose.
After dropping a slippery phone, customers either have to buy new ones. Or pay for repairs. Or buy cases to avoid damage in the first place. ++revenue generation.
Why were almost all older phones not slippery at all?

Totally agree.
Mobile device, by definition, means (mostly) hand-held and moved around. Making it so slippery, and promoting it as if it is some kind of jewellery is really a suspect. Phone is a TOOL not any kind of accessary item. In fact, Apple should make the back(ceramic?) and the side (polished stainless?) diamond knurled (aluminium is soft and easy enough to knurl, aircraft grade or not) or use some other non-slip material would be a right way to go. Then Apple might say it won't sell well unless it is polished like a jewell, really?.
Besides. any ceramic material is very prone to shattering once certain yield point is exceeded.

Of course Apple is making it so slippery that repairing/replacing the panels must be a big cash cow (unusually expensive). People became so picky about even almost invisible dings or scratches (I am too :).

But the most mischief committed by Apple, or the current greedy management, is actually coming out openly discouraging use of any case on the basis that the materials used are strong enough not to require any case to protect your device.
Ok fine, but this statement does appear not only promoting dropping of phones but also does have some legal implications and will force Apple repair dropped and damaged body panels free of charge, almost like warranty repair. Smart lawyers might take the statement as a soft warranty as Apple is so sure in discouraging the use of cases (which are usually personal choice items). Why do Apple take time to make a bold statement to discourage the use of phone case on the basis that it won't nick or shatter? Straaange...
Speaking of cases, when one of my daughters purchased a 13 Pro with gold (salmon pink?) , she wanted a clear case by Apple to show off the nice colour. But wen she found out that it had a big stamp of "MagSafe" which looked really "in your face" challenge by Apple to promote the sale of it, she immediately rushed out the Apple store and jumped in nearby BestBuy. Oh well....

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Using a case gives you a better grip period!! But do as you want and good luck!!

Aren't we talking about Apple bothering to take time to come out and openly discourage using case?
Why?!?!
Perhaps one of their cash cow businesses started decline?
I always use case, yes Apple's leather cases are "thin"and tight fit and beautiful.
BTW, why are they selling cases on one hand and discourage using them on the other hand?
Whatever, LOL

circatee

Feb 22, 2021
Visit site
Honestly, I have to say, seeing the iPhone being used on telly, by various people, rarely do I see a case. Now, that might be purely related to advertisements or something similar.

However, as much as I would like to use my iPhone 12 Pro Max without my Apple leather case, I think not.

You know, what I MIGHT try is a Debrand skin on it. Now, that might suit me…

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have large dry hands, I can’t hang on to an iPhone without a case on it. might be ok if I was a tree frog,but I’m not !

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Honestly, I have to say, seeing the iPhone being used on telly, by various people, rarely do I see a case. Now, that might be purely related to advertisements or something similar.

However, as much as I would like to use my iPhone 12 Pro Max without my Apple leather case, I think not.

You know, what I MIGHT try is a Debrand skin on it. Now, that might suit me…

I tried dbrand skins, hoping they will make the phone grippier.
Nope.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods