If you were in the market for a new iPad....

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you were in the market for a new iPad, would the new 2017 model iPad be a consideration? For me, it would not be, but I'd consider it if it were a gift for someone else. What about you?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If you were in the market for a new iPad, would the new 2017 model iPad be a consideration? For me, it would not be, but I'd consider it if it were a gift for someone else. What about you?

I'm actually really considering it. The only purpose any iPad would serve for me is bedtime reading/browsing, couch surfing, or car rides. This would be perfect. I don't want to make a crazy investment so to go all in for under $400 or under $500 is much more appealing than $700 or $800.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually really considering it. The only purpose any iPad would serve for me is bedtime reading/browsing, couch surfing, or car rides. This would be perfect. I don't want to make a crazy investment so to go all in for under $400 or under $500 is much more appealing than $700 or $800.

It makes sense to me so I say go for it....

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

$429 for 128 GB is a really great deal and it's a nice upgrade from the Air 2.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm 99% sure I'm getting the 2017 iPad. Best Buy is doing a trade-in deal, minimum $150 (could be more depending on exact model) for iPad Air, Air 2, Mini 2 3 or 4... plus an additional $25 gift card.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
$429 for 128 GB is a really great deal and it's a nice upgrade from the Air 2.

It's a great price point. But doesn't it not have the fully laminated screen that the air 2 has? And thicker and heavier? I know it has a few spec bumps but because the screen and thickness/weight, I'd rather have the Air 2. I know apple said the screen is now brighter and I've heard that with iPhone 6 and couldn't tell a difference from the previous version. I know what each person says is just opinion but I disagree on the nice upgrade.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm 99% sure I'm getting the 2017 iPad. Best Buy is doing a trade-in deal, minimum $150 (could be more depending on exact model) for iPad Air, Air 2, Mini 2 3 or 4... plus an additional $25 gift card.

I saw that. My wife has an iPad 4 she doesn't use. Kind of mad I can't trade it in for anything.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's a great price point. But doesn't it not have the fully laminated screen that the air 2 has? And thicker and heavier? I know it has a few spec bumps but because the screen and thickness/weight, I'd rather have the Air 2. I know apple said the screen is now brighter and I've heard that with iPhone 6 and couldn't tell a difference from the previous version. I know what each person says is just opinion but I disagree on the nice upgrade.

They went back to the original iPad Air weight and thickness. I'm sure there's a reason behind it but, in typical Apple fashion, they aren't exactly forthcoming with the reason why. The size difference is pretty small. No longer laminating the display and glass could only be a cost-cutting measure.

Still, I don't think the majority of users will notice. Those who would will most likely go for the more expensive Pro models anyway.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
They went back to the original iPad Air weight and thickness. I'm sure there's a reason behind it but, in typical Apple fashion, they aren't exactly forthcoming with the reason why. It's size difference is pretty small. No longer laminating the display and glass could only be a cost-cutting measure.

Still, I don't think the majority of users will notice. Those who would will most likely go for the more expensive Pro models anyway.

It's definitely cost cutting. The only way I could see them doing a 9.7 iPad for $329.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

I think it would purely come down to cost. If i couldn't afford the 'Pro' model then i would get the 'Standard' 9.7" version :) So its not that i don't want it but just want the best i can afford. I'm sure both will meet my needs perfectly but having more power out the gate means you can keep the device for longer. Also the 'Pro' model has a pretty awesome screen with Wide colour (P3).

The only thing i really don't like is the front facing camera. Practically useless at 1mp in resolution lol

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
They went back to the original iPad Air weight and thickness. I'm sure there's a reason behind it but, in typical Apple fashion, they aren't exactly forthcoming with the reason why. The size difference is pretty small. No longer laminating the display and glass could only be a cost-cutting measure.

This is what you're **not** getting with the 2017 iPad compared to the Air 2....

A laminated display makes iPad Air 2 much thinner - FlatpanelsHD

Non-laminated display means that there is a gap between the LCD and the glass.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
People I tell about it are interested.

Yep, because it has a great deal of mass market appeal. Most tablet users don't care about laminated displays or a slight bit more bulk. They want something affordable and they'll use it until the battery stops charging or it just dies.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yep, because it has a great deal of mass market appeal. Most tablet users don't care about laminated displays or a slight bit more bulk. They want something affordable and they'll use it until the battery stops charging or it just dies.

I agree. As much as a lot of us in here see the flaws because we want the best of the best, I think this is a great move for Apple. This will get iPads in a lot of hands that otherwise may not have been in the market. You can get the latest iPad at the price of basically a throwaway Chromebook. $329 for a lot of people makes a lot more sense for a product like this compared with $599 for the lowest level 9.7" Pro.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I agree. As much as a lot of us in here see the flaws because we want the best of the best, I think this is a great move for Apple. This will get iPads in a lot of hands that otherwise may not have been in the market. You can get the latest iPad at the price of basically a throwaway Chromebook. $329 for a lot of people makes a lot more sense for a product like this compared with $599 for the lowest level 9.7" Pro.

While I agree, we really need to compare the 2017 iPad to older iPads. For a low price, you are getting:

- a lightning port (one less cable to carry)
- a better charger for your phone
- a Retina display
- Touch ID
- a 64-bit processor*
- a bigger screen (than the mini)
- Handoff/Airdrop (modern Bluetooth)
- ad blockers
- and, most importantly, **twice** the storage!

* And avoid the headaches of relatives not being able to use security updates!