If this is true, it would be very disturbing

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
look at the date of the article... If this were true, it would have been reported in multiple places since. This is the first I've seen of it. This is an Apple hater making up ordure, throwing it against the wall in hopes something sticks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
First of all, not everyone who record police incidents use an iPhone. Secondly, I highly doubt that Apple or any other smartphone company will assist the law enforcement community in matters not pertaining to typical company business unless it was ordered to do so by the courts. LEOs are NOT going to win the battle of not wanting to be recorded while performing their duties, especially in an areas open to public use.

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hmm?? Is this really such a big deal? The video said that it will use a Geofence to disable your smartphone, so wouldn't disabling bluetooth (to prevent iBeacons) and Location Services (so they can't broadcast your location and know you're in the geofence) be enough to enable your phone again?

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know what to think. I wouldn't put it past Apple, but in all fairness, I wouldn't put it past ANY other cell phone manufacturer. Still, it seems a really improbable scenario: What if you live in an area where police activity is present and you need to call 911? This could turn into such a slippery slope I doubt Apple would go forth with it, but to me, it looks like they certainly thought about it.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know what to think. I wouldn't put it past Apple, but in all fairness, I wouldn't put it past ANY other cell phone manufacturer. Still, it seems a really improbable scenario: What if you live in an area where police activity is present and you need to call 911? This could turn into such a slippery slope I doubt Apple would go forth with it, but to me, it looks like they certainly thought about it.

I don't think Apple would do that. They haven't left any backdoors for law agencies to get into devices, so I don't know why they'd pull a stunt like this. Possible, but very unlikely.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
It's a fake news story from someone with an axe to grind. It's intended to whip up the apple haters into a frenzy of "I told you so" superiority at choosing a non-Apple device.

This is the worst kind of journalism.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think I've read more legitimate news scribbled on the wall of a mexican restaurant with a permanent marker...I'm actually shocked someone would legitimately read that article, or ever visit that website again.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I think I've read more legitimate news scribbled on the wall of a mexican restaurant with a permanent marker...I'm actually shocked someone would legitimately read that article, or ever visit that website again.

Or post it in a forum.....

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Read the patent. There are myriad reasons for disabling mobile devices; for example, when entering secure locations, when entering ICU, when attending a concert.

The screenshot is faked - it is not correct font for an Apple app.

Read through the rest of the articles from the site - sensationalist trash mag.

This is a trash article looking for page hits. Nothing more. I'm sorry I gave it the hits I did.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen