If the sender has the option on to "Send if iMessage is unavailable", should I still receive an SMS?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
If the sender has the option on to "Send if iMessage is unavailable", should I still receive an SMS?

I'm curious more than anything else.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus with iMessage on. From day to day (literally) I switch back and forth to my BlackBerry Passport (please don't ask why; if you know my ID then you already know why) and obviously I then don't have access to iMessage.

If the sender has the option on to "Send if iMessage is unavailable", should I still receive an SMS text message?

Thanks in advance
Ivan

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
re: If the sender has the option on to "Send if iMessage is unavailable", should I still receive an SMS?

By default the "Send as SMS" option is off and some people don't know that. So if the iMessage doesn't get delivered after a while it won't send as an SMS on its own.

I suggest that whenever you switch to your Passport, go into Settings - Messages - Send & Receive and sign out of your Apple ID. This way (hopefully) existing threads on your friends' phones might switch over to "Text Message" once it realizes it can't send as an iMessage.

Or, each time you switch you can use the tool that Apple provided to deregister your number on iMessage.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
re: If the sender has the option on to "Send if iMessage is unavailable", should I still receive an SMS?

...such a hard life using two different OS'

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

...such a hard life using two different OS'

I know the feeling. Which is why I was so ecstatic when Apple officially announced the 6 Plus. Didn't have to keep switching sim cards between an iPhone and an Android phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm curious more than anything else.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus with iMessage on. From day to day (literally) I switch back and forth to my BlackBerry Passport (please don't ask why; if you know my ID then you already know why) and obviously I then don't have access to iMessage.

If the sender has the option on to "Send if iMessage is unavailable", should I still receive an SMS text message?

Thanks in advance
Ivan

I am soooo tempted to buy a Blackberry Passport...;)....it has piqued my interest from the day is was introduced.

ray sital

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

My experience with deactivating iMessage has been horrible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site

Sounds like it is best to simply leave it off and not use it. A shame for friends and family in London.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Nah just ditch the poptart

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

iMessage to iMessage (two users, or >= three) has worked well for us in the past. Recently, group messaging has fallen apart when a non-iPhone device (Android) is in the mix. The non-iPhone user fails to get group replies. There are plenty of posts out there about this problem so I won't dwell on it further, but mention it to say that we've fallen back to using Hangouts for group messaging. This is working quite well so far.

So, for the BlackBerry angle, perhaps BBM is an option given its cross-platform capability. May help lessen or eliminate the impact from going between BB10 and iOS.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

iMessage to iMessage (two users, or >= three) has worked well for us in the past. Recently, group messaging has fallen apart when a non-iPhone device (Android) is in the mix. The non-iPhone user fails to get group replies. There are plenty of posts out there about this problem so I won't dwell on it further, but mention it to say that we've fallen back to using Hangouts for group messaging. This is working quite well so far.

So, for the BlackBerry angle, perhaps BBM is an option given its cross-platform capability. May help lessen or eliminate the impact from going between BB10 and iOS.

Group messaging is a mess if you have just one person not using iMessage.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site

All valid points, thanks.
But, to be blunt, BBM on iOS is crap! I wish BlackBerry never offered it. Mainly because for people like me that is used to the true nicely working version on a BlackBerry, the iOS and Android experience is simply terrible. And, let me not even get started on ads. I CAN'T STAND ADS, on anything...

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
If the sender has the option on to "Send if iMessage is unavailable", should ...

Group messaging is a mess if you have just one person not using iMessage.

I agree. This is a freakin mess at work because one guy has an android device.

Last edited:

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: If the sender has the option on to "Send if iMessage is unavailable", should I still receive an

Your best option may be to use whatsapp on both devices. That way when you switch between phones you won't have to worry about messages possibly not sending

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Re: If the sender has the option on to "Send if iMessage is unavailable", should I still receive an

Good point. But, sorry, WhatsApp is like Facebook, I just can't do it...

Your best option may be to use whatsapp on both devices. That way when you switch between phones you won't have to worry about messages possibly not sending

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site

One would think that it would send on SMS with it turned on, but there is definitely a glitch in there. Mine - on a 6 Plus - has been set to on since Day 1. Yesterday my iMessage stopped working. Texts to non-iMessage users were going through, but none to iMessage users (I did not check to see if they were set as email default or to SMS, however).

My phone number as the default send had lost its check mark and gone grey. I had to log out of iCloud and log back in for it to re-establish. I have been able to send since that point, but I have two messages that are still "sending" from yesterday's snag.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods