If Siri were better, would you use it more?

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Don’t forget the fact that some people simply prefer to do things the way they’ve been doing them and thus simply don’t want or need a HomePod.....

I think home speakers are great and I'm interested to see the adoption of HomePod in the fall. Hardware, specifically the iPhone, is Apple's bread and butter. IMO, change is afoot industry wide regarding user interface and how we engage technology.

I was very happy to see the introduction of the HomePod as Apple's offering for the home speaker segment as I think it was either that or concede the space to Alexa and to some extent Google Home. I wonder, though, if people would make that purchase primarily for audio and not for another way to access Siri.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
If you read my post you will notice I used the word 'Shouting', The places I mentioned are noisy, Siri does not work well in such environments. Also there is nothing more annoying than some nitwit bellowing the same phrase over and over again. In a moving car I suggest you go outside !!

I see. More the end user than the interface itself.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think home speakers are great and I'm interested to see the adoption of HomePod in the fall. Hardware, specifically the iPhone, is Apple's bread and butter. IMO, change is afoot industry wide regarding user interface and how we engage technology.

I was very happy to see the introduction of the HomePod as Apple's offering for the home speaker segment as I think it was either that or concede the space to Alexa and to some extent Google Home. I wonder, though, if people would make that purchase primarily for audio and not for another way to access Siri.

I have no doubt that it’ll catch on and be a big hit for Apple. I may even get one at some point, but for now, I don’t have an interest in it, but I’m excited for those who do.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
... But when I'm out walking my dog, and she dives into a bush that I think is suspicious and as Siri what Poison Ivy looks like, I hate her response "I found this article on wikipedia about Poison Ivy, would you like me to read it to you?". I just wanted a picture. Google is much better at that sort of thing. But I'm on team Siri, and WANT Siri to be the best, so I keep on hanging in there with her/him!!!
I was curious so just now I asked Siri "What does poison ivy look like?" Yup, Wikipedia suggestion... for the SUPERVILLIAN "Poison Ivy". Nothing about the plant!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I see. More the end user than the interface itself.

You have it, just adds to the mindless, thoughtless babble that is more and more a part of everyday life. At least most of us can type under our breath. Siri just does not appear to work very well.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I was curious so just now I asked Siri "What does poison ivy look like?" Yup, Wikipedia suggestion... for the SUPERVILLIAN "Poison Ivy". Nothing about the plant!

Yeah.. The default answer should be the plant or "first choice" with a question like that, because that's what most people would want to reference. The DC character should have to be a qualifier in the question like that if that's what someone is looking for.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170612-082326.png
    Screenshot_20170612-082326.png
    343.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Great question. Right now, I use her for song identification, and an occasional quick task while driving, such as call _. I don't like that I have to talk to her though, even though I know that is changing.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have really only used Siri minimally compared to other users, but I would definitely use her more if she was improved. I really only started using Siri when I got my iPhone 6s in September 2015, and mostly just to compose texts while I was out on a walk and had troube seeing the screen in bright sunlight (one of the things I definitely and desperately miss about using my Nokia Windows Phones is ClearBlack technology that allows you to see your phone's screen even in the brightest sunlight! How I would LOVE to see something like that on the iPhone!). Siri seems to always mess up what I want her to say and changes certain words. Maybe it's my New York accent, but maybe not since I don't think it's over the top. Plenty of times, I would double check the text and then end up fixing it manually. Very frustrating! Incidentally, I haven't used Siri since sometime last year - yikes!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I tried asking it again too, but I changed the question to "What does Poison Ivy look like" and this time Siri got it right! She brought up several images of poison ivy (the plant). Clearly it depends on how we word our questions and requests to SIRI... and I am hopeful that SIRI will become more intuitive! #teamsiri

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I tried asking it again too, but I changed the question to "What does Poison Ivy look like" and this time Siri got it right! She brought up several images of poison ivy (the plant). Clearly it depends on how we word our questions and requests to SIRI... and I am hopeful that SIRI will become more intuitive! #teamsiri
Hm, "What does Poison Ivy look like" still gives me the Wikipedia DC comic character. But "what does the poison ivy plant look like" got me a photo. :)

Attachments

• IMG_25.jpg
    IMG_25.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Hm, "What does Poison Ivy look like" still gives me the Wikipedia DC comic character. But "what does the poison ivy plant look like" got me a photo.
See the problem is Siri's a female, women can never make up their minds ... you would have to put a man in there to get the correct answer ... :rotfl:

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
See the problem is Siri's a female, women can never make up their minds ... you would have to put a man in there to get the correct answer ... :rotfl:

... I'm not touching that one.

Siri can be changed to one's preference: male or female and a few different accents in English. I changed Siri to British Female and tried the same question. She got it right this time!

... probably because I tried putting stress on "poison" when asking—"what does POISON ivy look like?" ;)

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Talking to your phone is weird. I keep Siri shut off....however I do talk to spell out texts when I have a long one, and I have to give credit to Apple that they have come a LONG way. Not near perfect but much much better from where they began.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if I would use it more, but on the occasion when I try to use it I wouldn't want to throw my phone out the window. The only thing that works for me is dictation in text messages, and I use that when driving, if I have to answer a text.

At least when Siri messes up it is usually in spectacular fashion, and nowhere near what I asked for, so as angry as I am, I do get a laugh out of it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR