If I disable Background App Refresh, will I still get instant notifications from apps like Skype and Hangouts?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If I disable Background App Refresh, will I still get instant notifications from apps like Skype and Hangouts?

If I turn this feature off, will I still receive instant notifications from apps like Skype and Hangouts even though they are closed? I've heard that it uses more data and battery, and I'm not sure if I made a mistake by turning it off.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Background App Refresh

You will still get notifications. I've always turned it off. I recently turned it back on but it still seems like content has to be fetched when I go into an app so I'm considering turning it back off.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

If I turn this feature off, will I still receive instant notifications from apps like Skype and Hangouts even though they are closed? I've heard that it uses more data and battery, and I'm not sure if I made a mistake by turning it off.

Yes

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Thanks guys. I'll be keeping it off since my OCD requires me to delete everything from the multitasking menu anyway. :)

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Thanks guys. I'll be keeping it off since my OCD requires me to delete everything from the multitasking menu anyway. :)

You sound so much like me!!!!!

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Tang Tang, here is a little more information why it's not the best idea to close apps in multitasking

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202070

In short: whenever you close an app in MT, and you reopen that app again, it will have to load back in to the ram. That uses more battery than keeping it in the multitasking. By the way, keeping apps in multitasking doesn't mean you will lose ram to those apps in it, as iOS manages ram very differently than windows. In windows closing apps was and still is the way to go, as in iOS it isn't.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Tang Tang, here is a little more information why it's not the best idea to close apps in multitasking

Understand multitasking and background activity on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

In short: whenever you close an app in MT, and you reopen that app again, it will have to load back in to the ram. That uses more battery than keeping it in the multitasking. By the way, keeping apps in multitasking doesn't mean you will lose ram to those apps in it, as iOS manages ram very differently than windows. In windows closing apps was and still is the way to go, as in iOS it isn't.

Its just my OCD. I can't bring my self to do that. I only use the multitasking menu for closing apps...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am totally known with OCD and know what you mean.

I have the same with cleaning, like dishwashing, I have to do it twice. Otherwise I'll go cray cray

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Its just my OCD. I can't bring my self to do that. I only use the multitasking menu for closing apps...

It messes up some apps. Like those that show something on the red badge. Like Weather temp. Or Calendar day. The only time I close out an app is if there's some problem. Like if the app freezes up.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I never close out anything in multitasking unless it's misbehaving

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member