iCloud vs. Onedrive - Which service to use on apple products!?

mphillips828

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I am wondering what others are doing/using related to cloud services on their apple devices.

Currently I have all apple products (iphone, ipad, apple watch and macbook pro). Using all these products would mean iCloud Drive and iCloud storage makes most sense.

I grew up with a Hotmail email and currently use Outlook.com as my personal email address, and as such the microsoft services integrate so well (outlook program, to do, onenote, and all 365 features).

Thats where my dilemma comes into play for me, I love apple products, but the microsoft services are very powerful, and universal across all devices (in case i ever choose to go with another platform for phone or computer). I love the connectivity between microsoft services, but since I use all Apple products, there are a lot of features apple offers that the 3rd party apps cant compete in.

What do you all do? What is a good solution here? Just so torn on what calendar I should use - outlook.com calendar, or my icloud (since apple devices are daily driver icloud makes sense, but since outlook is my main email that calendar makes sense too). Same situation for notes, and reminders too.

Its not a serious issue, but I am looking to just pick one platform and stick with it, currently I use the Office suite, and am forcing myself to use Microsoft services since it all integrates, but doesnt integrate into my apple devices the way the apple products do.

Any advice would be great! looking for what others do, and create a discussion!

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I have a lot of Apple products and use Microsoft services too so I use both iCloud and OneDrive. I couldn't pick just one since I use each of them for different things but it works for me. I tried abandoning Microsoft when I went all in on Apple but I couldn't completely give up my legacy with Microsoft. Guess you could I say I like have one foot in each world LOL!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use both as well as a few others. iCloud is Apple’s Cloud storage solution so of course it will have an advantage with Apple products. Still, One Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox and others work really well and should be considered, in my opinion.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I am wondering what others are doing/using related to cloud services on their apple devices.

Currently I have all apple products (iphone, ipad, apple watch and macbook pro). Using all these products would mean iCloud Drive and iCloud storage makes most sense.

iCloud.

It’s a no brainer.

mphillips828

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
iCloud.

It’s a no brainer.

Haha simple I like it!

Microsoft Services though are more powerful...the integration between my outlook email and to do is good, and onedrive is a more powerful cloud storage with options for sharing links and the website is much more functional.

That’s why I’m torn really. iCloud makes most sense, but I do like the power of the Microsoft apps and the features they offer , but Apple integrates their options so well together.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
the website is much more functional.

I have a 200GB of iCloud Drive and ITB of OneDrive. Except "Documents" and Music and Photos (in "Desktop") of iCloud Drive, I moved everything else to OneDrive (it's free - kind of - due to subscription of Office 365) mostly for the reason of the web display. M$ OneDrive has a list option to display files while iCloud is always icon only, which is not usually too convenient for portable devices.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I only use iCloud as my main cloud storage service.
I do have the other apps, too, but use them only occasionally for unimportant stuf.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
iCloud is terrible when it comes to integration with other apps and services, or collaboration with people who don’t use Apple services.

I use Hotmail and Onedrive for everything and iCloud strictly for my iDevices.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use iCloud for everything, except photos and videos. I use Box, Dropbox, and OneDrive for those. I would definitely stick with iCloud Notes. Totally.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The problem with iCloud, of course, is it’s exclusive to only Apple devices (I believe you can use it on Android but functionality is poor). If you’re going to dive into Apple and never look back, that’s fine. All the others (Onedrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) can be used on multiple platforms.
I still use Google Drive along with iCloud because I want to be safe and not keep all my eggs in one exclusive basket.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I use iCloud mainly for my Apple devices, personal storage. I also use DropBox and OneDrive for my business orientated storage.

I am still old school and never use any cloud services for storage any of my critical business or clients data, that’s only saved on my local or backup drives I keep locked in a safe.

Momof2_1711

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
I use Onedrive and ICloud for saving my devices. My daughter have to use Google for her school assignments since they have been doing virtual for 1.5 years.