iCloud Shared Folders-Incorrect Display of Participants in Mac OS

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Sharing iCloud files & folders is a great new feature in iOS 13.4 and Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4.
However, allowing to manage shares properly is an equally important feature imho.
I think there is s serious problem in Mac OS:

once folder(s) got shared, there should be an option to display who an item (file or folder) was shared with, and to revoke access from one or more users.
The only way that I found to display who an item got shared with was to mark the item in Finder and hit "share" in the context menu.
So far, so good.

BUT: the menu then shows ALL names of ALL users that I ever shared ANYTHING with. So as long as there is not another feature that I haven't found yet, there is no way of how to figure out who the only users were that I shared a particular item with - at least not in Mac OS.

In iOS, this is possible: you can easily display who an item was shared with, and revoke access there.

So either I'm missing information on how to get this done in Mac OS - if so, please tell me how.
Or, this is a serious omission, bug, or whatever else you might want to call it.

P.S. I submitted feedback on this to Apple already, but also wanted it to be documented/discussed here.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Please let us know what Apple suggests. Thanks.
They never suggest anything. I submitted feedback many times, on many different issues, and never heard back from them. I'm using the regular feedback site. If there is a better way that leads to a conversation with or information from Apple, I would like to know.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
OK, so either I totally overlooked this feature, or it arrived with yesterday's small Mac OS Catalina update only:

1. mark shared folder
  2. right/force klick on it to show context menu
  3. share
  4. show people (or persons - not sure how this appears in English).

==> beautiful popup with only participants of this very folder or element, including options to revoke access, add more people, change share options etc.

Well, regardless of what & why (my stupid failure? Apple added feature?), it works great, and at least this thread could now work as a reference for other users who struggle with using the feature.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
OK, so either I totally overlooked this feature, or it arrived with yesterday's small Mac OS Catalina update only:

1. mark shared folder
  2. right/force klick on it to show context menu
  3. share
  4. show people (or persons - not sure how this appears in English).

==> beautiful popup with only participants of this very folder or element, including options to revoke access, add more people, change share options etc.

Well, regardless of what & why (my stupid failure? Apple added feature?), it works great, and at least this thread could now work as a reference for other users who struggle with using the feature.

Thanks for sharing your update! I’m so glad you figured it out! :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox