Icloud management

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I'm trying to manage my icloud because it's saying I am running out of storage but when I go to manage it,it says I have no files. I did move some pictures from my computer to my phone and that's what I'm thinking is taking up space but there seems to be no way for me to edit what's in my icloud. Also, isn't there any way I can only have camera pictures and videos uploading to the icloud? It seems to be uploading anything in the galleryno matter what the source. I added a screenshot of the icloud drive. Thanks.

Attachments

• 7EBCBB79-737B-48C1-9388-FB297B569861.png
    7EBCBB79-737B-48C1-9388-FB297B569861.png
    375.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I'm trying to manage my icloud because it's saying I am running out of storage but when I go to manage it,it says I have no files. I did move some pictures from my computer to my phone and that's what I'm thinking is taking up space but there seems to be no way for me to edit what's in my icloud. Also, isn't there any way I can only have camera pictures and videos uploading to the icloud? It seems to be uploading anything in the galleryno matter what the source. I added a screenshot of the icloud drive. Thanks.

You can see what’s using your iCloud space in Settings -> Your Name -> iCloud -> Manage Storage.

You can also disable the iCloud Photo Library through there, and then remove all the photos over the website. I do insist that you should make a copy of those first, because I don’t know what would happen if you reenable it.

There is a different service called Photo Stream that will upload all recent photos (up to 30 days or 1000 photos) and doesn’t count towards your storage space. You need to make a copy of those photos manually to another location, because that service does not persist your photos.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201317

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
You can see what’s using your iCloud space in Settings -> Your Name -> iCloud -> Manage Storage.

You can also disable the iCloud Photo Library through there, and then remove all the photos over the website. I do insist that you should make a copy of those first, because I don’t know what would happen if you reenable it.

There is a different service called Photo Stream that will upload all recent photos (up to 30 days or 1000 photos) and doesn’t count towards your storage space. You need to make a copy of those photos manually to another location, because that service does not persist your photos.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201317

Thanks for that I see it now. It is indeed the set of photos I moved from my pc to my phone. I can't seem to delete items on my icloud through my phone, unless I'm not looking at the right place. Also, I'm used to my backups being under my control as in I would only enable backup on google with whatever folder I wish. That is usually just the camera folder. I noticed there is no dedicated camera folder/album and I can't seem to indicate that I just want pictures I take on my camera to upload to my icloud. I have thousands of images on my phone and most of them are from my pc so I don't need them to upload to my icloud. How do i do that?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that I see it now. It is indeed the set of photos I moved from my pc to my phone. I can't seem to delete items on my icloud through my phone, unless I'm not looking at the right place. Also, I'm used to my backups being under my control as in I would only enable backup on google with whatever folder I wish. That is usually just the camera folder. I noticed there is no dedicated camera folder/album and I can't seem to indicate that I just want pictures I take on my camera to upload to my icloud. I have thousands of images on my phone and most of them are from my pc so I don't need them to upload to my icloud. How do i do that?

You can’t single out an album for synchronization over iCloud. But you can use the My Photo Stream iCloud feature to upload all your newly taken pictures.

You will need to build on your PC side something that saves those pictures.

21b95eb8709277edf2791378ba0ba095.jpg

You can access those settings by choosing “Photos” in your iCloud settings.

Also, you can always use the Google Photos or some other photo service if it better suits your personal needs :)

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
You can’t single out an album for synchronization over iCloud. But you can use the My Photo Stream iCloud feature to upload all your newly taken pictures.

You will need to build on your PC side something that saves those pictures.

21b95eb8709277edf2791378ba0ba095.jpg

You can access those settings by choosing “Photos” in your iCloud settings.

Also, you can always use the Google Photos or some other photo service if it better suits your personal needs :)

Wow. Using ios is so much work! how do you guys do it? :( i have yet to encounter one thing that is easy to do. I tried using Google photos. The android version allows me to just upload whichever folders I want. No such luck on ios cause the operating system doesn't allow it. I have thousands of images on my phone thst I had to move from my computer and icloud is trying to save all of it. Google photos is trying to Dave all of it. There's no way for me to tell these services that only camera photos should.be saved. Is that at least something I can do when plugging it in to my pc?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Using ios is so much work! how do you guys do it? :( i have yet to encounter one thing that is easy to do.

Not really. iOS is pretty simple and straight forward especially when it comes to backups on iCloud or photo storage.

Never really heard of any user only wanting to back up one folder to iCloud. must be an android thing.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Using ios is so much work! how do you guys do it? :( i have yet to encounter one thing that is easy to do. I tried using Google photos. The android version allows me to just upload whichever folders I want. No such luck on ios cause the operating system doesn't allow it. I have thousands of images on my phone thst I had to move from my computer and icloud is trying to save all of it. Google photos is trying to Dave all of it. There's no way for me to tell these services that only camera photos should.be saved. Is that at least something I can do when plugging it in to my pc?

I have been using iOS since iPhoneOS 2, in 2009; before copy, paste, notifications and background applications were even a thing on the platform.

It’s a different philosophy to Android. One that needs getting used to.

I don’t know how the iPhone will behave with a PC, because I never connected my iOS devices to those. The last time I connected my devices to my Mac was about 6 years ago, but that’s also a different platform from Windows and a lot has changed since then.

I know OneDrive supports the upload of the camera roll, as evidenced by their documentation: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca...e-on-ios-74d406bb-71d0-47c0-8ab8-98679fa1b72e
I can’t say if it will do what you expect it to do.

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It’s a different philosophy to Android. One that needs getting used to.

I think that's the problem I have. Literally everyone I ask says "you get used to it." But why do people have to? These are small improvements to make use more simple and easier. I can't imagine the programmers and designers never thought of them. They seem to be deliberately making things more complicated and take more steps than necessary. I don't know why that is. I'm used to just turning on my faucet and water comes out. With ios it's more like I have to use a water pump :( Needless to say it hasn't been a good experience so far. It's just so much more work than is (or should be) necessary. I wish I could speak with people who wok in this OS and ask them why they made things the way they are so at least I could understand the logic behind it because to me it doesn't make sense.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I think that's the problem I have. Literally everyone I ask says "you get used to it." But why do people have to? These are small improvements to make use more simple and easier. I can't imagine the programmers and designers never thought of them. They seem to be deliberately making things more complicated and take more steps than necessary. I don't know why that is. I'm used to just turning on my faucet and water comes out. With ios it's more like I have to use a water pump Needless to say it hasn't been a good experience so far. It's just so much more work than is (or should be) necessary. I wish I could speak with people who wok in this OS and ask them why they made things the way they are so at least I could understand the logic behind it because to me it doesn't make sense.

When it comes to operating systems, especially on my phone, I am a control freak. I don’t like my phone doing things without my consent. I know Apple does a lot of stuff in the background and so do apps, though the experience is much more to my liking than the experience of my Android using friends. I am thinking of my friend trying to set up his new Android phone last year and in the middle of doing the restore from his old phone backup, his phone company bloat ware decided to kick in and install a bunch of apps and it took forever to finish and slowed everything way down to impossible.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think that's the problem I have. Literally everyone I ask says "you get used to it." But why do people have to? These are small improvements to make use more simple and easier. I can't imagine the programmers and designers never thought of them. They seem to be deliberately making things more complicated and take more steps than necessary. I don't know why that is. I'm used to just turning on my faucet and water comes out. With ios it's more like I have to use a water pump :( Needless to say it hasn't been a good experience so far. It's just so much more work than is (or should be) necessary. I wish I could speak with people who wok in this OS and ask them why they made things the way they are so at least I could understand the logic behind it because to me it doesn't make sense.

It isn’t a problem. The iPhone, like an Android smartphone isn’t for everyone. Some people learn to adjust to the way things are done on the iPhone and then go about their business in peace whereas others simply complain about what it can’t do instead of returning it and getting a device more suitable for their needs. The iPhone is NOT an Android and you knew it before you bought it so adjust to it or return it.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Yeah those pesky engineers, making it impossible to only sync one folder.
What were they thinking?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

I’m not going to say, “You’re going to get used to it.” There are people for which iOS is not a good fit, and that’s okay. For some, it was Windows Phone, others it was BlackBerry, and there’s an Android group as well :)

I grew up with iOS. The way it behaves is natural for me. It doesn’t mean that it should be for you.

This said, as Systems Administrator, I play with computer “knobs and buttons” day in, day out; provisioning, configuring and maintaining servers for my employer. I just love the fact that on my personal device, those pesky Engineers (I’m studying to become an ICT Engineer by the way) have taken the decision—after proper analysis, I hope—to not give a very deep level of customization; I just don’t want to have to do my daily day job on my own devices.

Last edited:

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It isn’t a problem. The iPhone, like an Android smartphone isn’t for everyone. Some people learn to adjust to the way things are done on the iPhone and then go about their business in peace whereas others simply complain about what it can’t do instead of returning it and getting a device more suitable for their needs. The iPhone is NOT an Android and you knew it before you bought it so adjust to it or return it.

First off, I apologize if you got offended. I know you're a hardcore ios user and I didn't mean to offend you. This is not against you or anyone. i'm just expressing my frustration that things that "should" be simple and straightforward are not. Others seem to be taking as it and reacting to it as how it was intended. If you feel that this was somehow attacking you then I'm sorry. You may not know what it's like to be so frustrated at something that you just have to express it but some of us do. I need a lot of help. A LOT. I am trying to find more information about the how to do the things but they don't seem to always work so here i am. You could always just bypass my post as I may sometimes express my frustration. There are plenty of moderators around anyway.

Second, I cannot return the device so I'm trying to make the best of it.

Last edited:

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I’m not going to say, “You’re going to get used to it.” There are people for which iOS is not a good fit, and that’s okay. For some, it was Windows Phone, others it was BlackBerry, and there’s an Android group as well :)

I grew up with iOS. The way it behaves is natural for me. It doesn’t mean that it should be for you.

This said, as Systems Administrator, I play with computer “knobs and buttons” day in, day out; provisioning, configuring and maintaining servers for my employer. I just love the fact that on my personal device, those pesky Engineers (I’m studying to become an ICT Engineer by the way) have taken the decision—after proper analysis, I hope—to not give a very deep level of customization; I just don’t want to have to do my daily day job on my own devices.

LOL that's fair.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
First off, I apologize if you got offended. I know you're a hardcore ios user and I didn't mean to offend you.
I’ve used all mobile OSes through the years and Blackberry was my favorite. Since then, I’ve concluded that iOS suits “me” best so I’m not offended at all by your comments.
This is not against you or anyone. i'm just expressing my frustration that things that "should" be simple and straightforward are not.
Things are quite simple and straightforward with the iPhone. In your case, it conflicts with what you’re used to. Nothing more.
Others seem to be taking as it and reacting to it as how it was intended.
I can’t speak for the others.
If you feel that this was somehow attacking you then I'm sorry.
My reply did not reflect a sense of hurt or a feeling of being hurt. What it did reflect was common sense. If an item doesn’t suit your needs, stop using it and get one that does.
You may not know what it's like to be so frustrated at something that you just have to express it but some of us do. I need a lot of help. A LOT. I am trying to find more information about the how to do the things but they don't seem to always work so here i am. You could always just bypass my post as I may sometimes express my frustration. There are plenty of moderators around anyway.
Your frustration is self-inflicted. Why allow a device to frustrate you to the level you’ve described? Did you not research the iPhone prior to purchasing it? If you’re here in a tech forum then more than likely you’ve read numerous blog articles, watched YouTube videos, and read through forums like this one beforehand. You do not need a lot of help. What you need is to get another Android smartphone since it would better serve your smartphone needs.

Second, I cannot return the device so I'm trying to make the best of it.
Maybe not, but you can surely sell it. Anyway, if you really want to make the best of your iPhone, start by accepting the fact that it is an “iPhone”. It is NOT a BlackBerry, a Windows phone or an Android smartphone. It is an “iPhone”. After that, adapt. In the meantime, have an awesome Sunday.

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I’ve used all mobile OSes through the years and Blackberry was my favorite. Since then, I’ve concluded that iOS suits “me” best so I’m not offended at all by your comments. Things are quite simple and straightforward with the iPhone. In your case, it conflicts with what you’re used to. Nothing more. I can’t speak for the others. My reply did not reflect a sense of hurt or a feeling of being hurt. What it did reflect was common sense. If an item doesn’t suit your needs, stop using it and get one that does. Your frustration is self-inflicted. Why allow a device to frustrate you to the level you’ve described? Did you not research the iPhone prior to purchasing it? If you’re here in a tech forum then more than likely you’ve read numerous blog articles, watched YouTube videos, and read through forums like this one beforehand. You do not need a lot of help. What you need is to get another Android smartphone since it would better serve your smartphone needs.

Maybe not, but you can surely sell it. Anyway, if you really want to make the best of your iPhone, start by accepting the fact that it is an “iPhone”. It is NOT a BlackBerry, a Windows phone or an Android smartphone. It is an “iPhone”. After that, adapt. In the meantime, have an awesome Sunday.

I'm trying. Accepting things as they are may have been easy for you but it's not as easy for me. I did research well before getting it but none of the information I found went over the problems I'm having. It didn't ev3m cross my mind that these were going to give me difficulties as all the videos I've seen about switching never mentioned them. Yes I'm making myself frustrated by keeping this phone instead of selling it. That's on me. I'm just saying that I'm here asking for help and if you do not want to, I'd would rather get no response than "stop complaining about it." I'm trying to accept it but I dont always do that as fast as other people. If my posts annoy you, I'm sorry. Reading your comments like that just increases the frustration for me and doesn't really help. Do you know what I mean? Not everyone can be like you. All I can do is keep learning this thing. My frustration will not go away overnight.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying. Accepting things as they are may have been easy for you but it's not as easy for me. I did research well before getting it but none of the information I found went over the problems I'm having. It didn't ev3m cross my mind that these were going to give me difficulties as all the videos I've seen about switching never mentioned them. Yes I'm making myself frustrated by keeping this phone instead of selling it. That's on me. I'm just saying that I'm here asking for help and if you do not want to, I'd would rather get no response than "stop complaining about it." I'm trying to accept it but I dont always do that as fast as other people. If my posts annoy you, I'm sorry. Reading your comments like that just increases the frustration for me and doesn't really help. Do you know what I mean? Not everyone can be like you. All I can do is keep learning this thing. My frustration will not go away overnight.

I’m glad we have an understanding. I, like the others here, am eager to assist when I can, but I’m also one to tell you that the iPhone may not be for you based on your…..comments. Anyway, if you have questions, ask them. We’ll do out absolute best to answer them, but understand you may get answers that might not be in-line with what you were expecting. In the meantime, have an awesome day. :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh