iCloud and Apple Photos Clarification

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

It has been 2 weeks since using my iPhone 11 and I absolutely love it coming from Android for the last 10 years.

I have fully invested in Apple software which includes a 200gb iCloud storage plan. I have also went through the process of transferring all my photos from google photos to Apple Photos, keeping a copy of each on both (a tedious process).

I was looking for clarification on something which I am still unclear of after reading and researching.

My understanding is that I require enough storage on my device to be able to have all the photos on there from my iCloud photos storage, correct?

Meaning if I have a 64gb device but my photos are taking up more than 64gb on iCloud my pictures will not all be synced to my device right?

What happens to my pictures if my device does not have enough storage? Are they automatically deleted from iCloud?

I know about the option to “optimize iPhone storage”. Does this option delete photos both on my phone and iCloud when turned on?

I currently have enough on device storage but was just curious about this. I know google photos allows me to keep all my photos in the cloud regardless of the amount of storage on my device. I believe Apple does not handle it the same way.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for reading.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on your iPhone purchase :)

My understanding is that I require enough storage on my device to be able to have all the photos on there from my iCloud photos storage, correct?

Meaning if I have a 64gb device but my photos are taking up more than 64gb on iCloud my pictures will not all be synced to my device right?
If you want to have your pictures to be stored in full quality on your iPhone, that’s exactly what it means.

What happens to my pictures if my device does not have enough storage? Are they automatically deleted from iCloud?
No, don’t worry. What will happen is that your iPhone will warn you about running out of space on its own storage.
It won’t touch the iCloud storage unless you, as the user, remove the picture there.

I know about the option to “optimize iPhone storage”. Does this option delete photos both on my phone and iCloud when turned on?
It only removes the photo on your phone, it won’t touch iCloud where the original quality photo is stored.

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on your iPhone purchase :)

If you want to have your pictures to be stored in full quality on your iPhone, that’s exactly what it means.

No, don’t worry. What will happen is that your iPhone will warn you about running out of space on its own storage.
It won’t touch the iCloud storage unless you, as the user, remove the picture there.

It only removes the photo on your phone, it won’t touch iCloud where the original quality photo is stored.

Thanks a lot for all the replies. A little confusing as it is different from the way google photos handles it.

Google photos is basically the photo app on the device.

Appreciate it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2