I want to keep using ios, but fear lock in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I still want to keep using ios for the time being, mainly because it's working well for me right now and I don't want to spend the money to switch right now, but the one thing I want to avoid is apple lock in so I can never switch if I even wanted to later on. This is mostly to do with video content. I just don't think it's a good idea to buy off iTunes since you can only get it on apple stuff.

This could also apply to cloud services like iTunes Match. That again can only be accessed on apple products .

Is it even possible to continue using ios to its fullest without falling into the apple lock in trap? Should I just buy video off amazon or something?

To those who buy off iTunes , don't you ever fear the lock in?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't really fear Apple lock in. I rarely buy video content from iTunes. The article that Keith linked is pretty good and that's pretty much how it is as long DRM comes into play.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't really fear Apple lock in. I rarely buy video content from iTunes. The article that Keith linked is pretty good and that's pretty much how it is as long DRM comes into play.

I actually don't fully agree with the article. There's more lock in with iTunes than with amazon or google for the simple fact you can access them more places than iTunes.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I actually don't fully agree with the article. There's more lock in with iTunes than with amazon or google for the simple fact you can access them more places than iTunes.

That's true, access is very important. For my purposes, I can play my iTunes videos in VLC so I didn't really consider that. Thanks for bringing up that point.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
IDK I don't really watch media on my smartphone. Sometimes I do on my tablet but I'd rather at home watch it in windows on my big monitor or use my laptop. I don't see myself ever owning a non-Apple computer again. I love OS X to much. I'm partial to Amazon but don't really use their streaming video since they won't release an app for non-Kindle Android. I'd have no qualms about purchasing exclusive video content from the iTunes store though.

I'm a fan of classic Hollywood cinema and still am not at the point where I consider anything but physical media to be a genuine collection.

BTW I agree with you about the lock-in issue and it was the first thing I thought of when I read the editorial. I mean, I love Apple as much as the next fanboy on this website but we're really kidding ourselves if we think iTunes is on equal footing with Amazon, Google, etc.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So I still want to keep using ios for the time being, mainly because it's working well for me right now and I don't want to spend the money to switch right now, but the one thing I want to avoid is apple lock in so I can never switch if I even wanted to later on. This is mostly to do with video content. I just don't think it's a good idea to buy off iTunes since you can only get it on apple stuff.

This could also apply to cloud services like iTunes Match. That again can only be accessed on apple products .

Is it even possible to continue using ios to its fullest without falling into the apple lock in trap? Should I just buy video off amazon or something?

For video it is lock in on every platform; Google, Amazon, Apple, and Microsoft. There is nothing you can do. If you don't want to be locked in then don't buy digital videos as they will only play on one platform due to DRM rules. This isn't an issue for me personally as I am not interested in watching videos on a tiny screen when I have a large TV sitting at home.

For music it is a totally different story. You can buy music any where and play it anywhere. I generally purchase music on AmazonMP3 or iTunes depending on which is the cheapest. I uploaded most of my personal music to Amazon's cloud storage and use their Cloud Player on my iPhone and Moto X.

You only get locked in if you allow yourself to be locked in.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't feel locked in. If there is video content I want that's on iTunes I'll buy it. Only being able to view it on Apple devices is fine by me because I have no real interest in any other video devices but Apple devices.

You're only locked in if it's a place you don't want to be.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Nope. I have a first gen AppleTV (component out), so I am not affected by DRM... I’m not locked in at all...

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
For video it is lock in on every platform; Google, Amazon, Apple, and Microsoft. There is nothing you can do. If you don't want to be locked in then don't buy digital videos as they will only play on one platform due to DRM rules. This isn't an issue for me personally as I am not interested in watching videos on a tiny screen when I have a large TV sitting at home.

For music it is a totally different story. You can buy music any where and play it anywhere. I generally purchase music on AmazonMP3 or iTunes depending on which is the cheapest. I uploaded most of my personal music to Amazon's cloud storage and use their Cloud Player on my iPhone and Moto X.

You only get locked in if you allow yourself to be locked in.

Yes, but it's less lock in on amazon video or google code because it's accessible in more places.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This thread is almost completely non-sense.

You title the thread "I want to keep using iOS, but fear lock in"...yet your point is not reflective of iOS, it's reflective of DRM within iTunes and the App/Music store.

Then you create this "trap" theory. There's no trap here...there's a service offered for convenience, and outside of that, there are apps to allow you to use external file types.

I mean honestly bud, why not just sell your iPhone and move onto something that is more fitting to your behavior. If the grass is so much greener on the other side, why stick around in this "trap" (LOL). Your posts always carry with them a very specific and obvious tone...they always do at some point or another. Why continue the charade?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This thread is almost completely non-sense.

You title the thread "I want to keep using iOS, but fear lock in"...yet your point is not reflective of iOS, it's reflective of DRM within iTunes and the App/Music store.

Then you create this "trap" theory. There's no trap here...there's a service offered for convenience, and outside of that, there are apps to allow you to use external file types.

I mean honestly bud, why not just sell your iPhone and move onto something that is more fitting to your behavior. If the grass is so much greener on the other side, why stick around in this "trap" (LOL). Your posts always carry with them a very specific and obvious tone...they always do at some point or another. Why continue the charade?

^^^^^ nailed it. Really tired of this person's waffling on every issue that (s)he posts. Buy it. Return it. Love it. Hate it. Buy it again. Return it again. All the veiled and not-so-veiled pot shots at iOS. It gets old and tiring very quickly.

To the OP, please just pick a side and stick with something for more than 10 minutes.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, it's not waffling...it's subtle trolling.

I mean imagine going to Crackberry or Android Central and making these kinds of threads in the opposite light (where you make it very obvious you prefer iOS and you consistently downplay and create critical "issues" within the products that the community is based upon). I can't be the only person who sees it...every...single...time.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I mean imagine going to Crackberry or Android Central and making these kinds of threads in the opposite light (where you make it very obvious you prefer iOS and you consistently downplay and create critical "issues" within the products that the community is based upon). I can't be the only person who sees it...every...single...time.

When I see the user name, my eyes glaze over ... you’re probably correct, Sean.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site

So, your saying I should blindly love everything about the phone? Why? You can like something and still be critical of it, anything less is just fanboy dillusion. Do I hate ios and iPhone or Apple?, no of course not. But I can be critical of their faults and the things they don't do well.

It's not trolling , it's being critical . And honestly you two seem to be the only ones that have a issue with it . Don't like it? Then don't reply. Simple. It's not like your contributing anything to the topic anyway.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I only purchase music off of iTunes and movies/shows are blu rays, so lock in is not a worry for me. Honestly unless your someone who prefers to be on one platform only theb you could always have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I only purchase music off of iTunes and movies/shows are blu rays, so lock in is not a worry for me. Honestly unless your someone who prefers to be on one platform only theb you could always have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm probaly just gonna buy physical from now on. I'm having a similar debate wether or not to buy digital or physical discs for my ps4.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Don't buy content from Apple's online services then, you can't get locked in if you don't invest in the ecosystem.. It's not like you would be forced to buy Apple stuff just because you are on an IPhone.

I give you an example, I have a Galaxy s4 but I never buy Google's books, and I go for Amazon's books instead...

Just because you are using an operating system closer to that ecosystem does not mean you need to go buy those things at all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I spend money on my android, I spend money on my iPhone. I don't feel trapped. I have the luxury of being able to buy things. That's enough to make me happy. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods