I wanna know...safe to buy iphone 5 now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered the iPhone 5 and received it on 9/28 only for it to be defective. It rattled when you barely moved the phone, yet alone placing it to your ear. I just said forget it. Late October came and AT&T finally had some iPhone 5s in stock so I decided to bite again. I had to pay full retail which is fine as I had some extra cash and could sell my 4S to make up for the difference. This new iphone 5 had a loose seep wake button that rattled and was even more obnoxious than the first one. Asked for an exchange but AT&T wouldn't budge as they directed me to Apple (despite being in my 14 day return window). Paid the restocking fee (then got credited from care) and called it a day and continued to use my 4S.

Now, its nearly December and I'm wondering if its safe to buy a defect-free iPhone 5? This is getting a little ridiculous with all the problems I'm reading, yet alone experiencing my own. Why does such a "high quality" product have so many different cosmetic issues?

No two phones seem to be the same. I compared my original one to my friends and his had NO rattle, but horizontal lines at the top of the screen in the status bar. He got it replaced and its fine now but still. Seems like one issue is persistent on each different device.

So what should I do? I plan on thoroughly examining the phone in the store before I walk out with it. Going to look foolish listening for a rattle haha.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I bought my i5 about 2 weeks ago and it's flawless. No rattling, no scuffs and no power button issues.

I would definitely give the iPhone 5 another shot. It's damn amazing. Just go to the store to examine it first before you buy it.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I bought my i5 about 2 weeks ago and it's flawless. No rattling, no scuffs and no power button issues.

I would definitely give the iPhone 5 another shot. It's damn amazing. Just go to the store to examine it first before you buy it.

Yeah but I'm still nervous. Lets say it does have a loose sleep wake button and they don't want to swap it for another one because of limited stock, then I'm screwed.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Got mine on release day no issue got wife's a month later from apple no issue ..
If you have a issue go to apple not the carrier could have saved some restock fees ..

Apple will replace on the spot and if its not flawless when the tech opens it they will swap it again .. And again

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I think the stock will be the same as it was when you first found these "defective" phones, if only because they're probably not considered defective--the issue is more that you're very picky/particular about your phone. Nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that you'll find flaws where many others would not. So your best bet is just to make sure that wherever you shop has a good supply for you to root through.

One thing to bear in mind regarding rattles: when a phone is fresh out of the box it is more likely to rattle; after it's been living in your pocket, etc, for a little while, all the debris of life will get into those tiny crevices and make it less likely to rattle.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Got mine on release day no issue got wife's a month later from apple no issue ..
If you have a issue go to apple not the carrier could have saved some restock fees ..

Apple will replace on the spot and if its not flawless when the tech opens it they will swap it again .. And again

Same for me... ordered on pre-order day, received on release day... and it’s still flawless. Like Peligro says, if there are any issues, Apple will make it right, on the spot.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I think the stock will be the same as it was when you first found these "defective" phones, if only because they're probably not considered defective--the issue is more that you're very picky/particular about your phone. Nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that you'll find flaws where many others would not. So your best bet is just to make sure that wherever you shop has a good supply for you to root through.

One thing to bear in mind regarding rattles: when a phone is fresh out of the box it is more likely to rattle; after it's been living in your pocket, etc, for a little while, all the debris of life will get into those tiny crevices and make it less likely to rattle.

My first one would rattle if you barely put it to your ear. My friend's iPhone 5 did not. I don't think over time it was going to get any better. It sounded like something was loose inside the phone. No one should have to settle for something like when they paid all that money for it. I played with several iPhone 5s and none did that. If they did, then I would have kept it and passed it off as normal.

The only thing I'm really going to check for is a loose sleep wake button, as that will cause rattling (which wasn't causing the rattling on the first one). I'm hoping the first one they bring me is flawless.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Open it and try it out in the store, in front of the salesperson while they're writing you up. That's what I did.

Follow me on the Twitter! @_jorts

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Definitely you should get the one you want?all I'm saying is that I don't think anything has changed in terms of how they are being made. If you found rattling issues before, those will still likely be there. But if there is more stock in general then you'll have a better chance of finding one you like. Good luck!

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Buy directly from Apple, preferably @ store if you're close enough. They will swap on the spot if there's a problem out of the box, and they have stock to do so. Carriers have double incentive to NOT swap: 1) they want all the phones they can get their hands on available to sell - swap to you means one less for them to sell; and 2) they can make restocking fee off you.

I bought from VZW on release day; phone was scratched out of the box. VZW refused to swap (i was first group into the store, somthey still had stock). they told me they needed the other phones to sell :" you have one, it works, we don't have swaps. we'll call you later to swap.". Do you think they ever called? I returned it, paid restocking fee, and bought from Apple store.

In contrast, Apple wants you to leave happy. No restocking fees, no hassle about swaps for legitimate issues. Good luck!

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
OMG. It is so unsafe these days to buy an iPhone. Kids have guns, Syria is in distress, mother nature is angry, Iran has nuclear capabilities....it is so unsafe these days. Hide your kids, hide your wife....stay inside.

UNSAFE!

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site

What? Not defective? And debris of life curing the phone of rattles? (Gross)

OP, you are not being too OCD. The phone is not supposed to rattle, have scratches or have loose buttons. And do not listen to nimrods that tell you to stick with your 4s. ( that particular person has a history of picking fights on this forum)

As to your original post, it seems that you have been unlucky but if you try again, odds are that you will get the phone you desire. I personally only purchase through apple. My iP5 is flawless and I am considered very picky, most apple owners are and it is ok. That's why we buy apple:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice