I need to disable my sons text on iPhone 6 during school hours, how can I do this?

I

iMore Question

I need to disable my sons text on iPhone 6 during school hours

I would like my son to only be able to send and receive text messages from my husband and me from 7:30 - 2:15 monday through friday

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: I need to disable my sons text on iPhone 6 during school hours

Welcome to iMore!

I'm not sure you can do such a thing, but if there is such a setting it would be in the family share settings. Again, I'm unsure if there is such a thing.

Otherwise the only other option is to disable it in Restrictions on his phone before he leaves for school, and then enable it when he comes home. Although from one parent to another, in the event of an emergency (on the way to school, at school, or on the way home from school) this may not be such a wise idea if he's in a position where he cannot put the phone up to his ear for a call.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

@Sherry_B is right. You cannot place a time restriction on Messages.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Kids is school do not need phones. When I was in school we never carried phones. No need for them. The school office had a phone that could be used in a emergency.

Plus mobile phones were not even thought of then. Peeps got along fine without them.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Kids is school do not need phones. When I was in school we never carried phones. No need for them. The school office had a phone that could be used in a emergency.

Plus mobile phones were not even thought of then. Peeps got along fine without them.

Kids also didn't bring guns to school, times have changed.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I would like my son to only be able to send and receive text messages from my husband and me from 7:30 - 2:15 monday through friday

Not sure what carrier you have but this can be done with Verizon they charge for it I think.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Not sure what carrier you have but this can be done with Verizon they charge for it I think.

True, but I don't think it works with iMessage. Maybe there's a way to completely turn off data outside of those hours.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

True, but I don't think it works with iMessage. Maybe there's a way to completely turn off data outside of those hours.

You can turn Cellular off, then set Cellular data use to "Don't allow changes" in restrictions. I haven't tested this, but seems it might work.
Tested it.
HERE'S HOW:
1. Turn iMessage off
2. Go to Settings >General >Restrictions > Accounts > Check "Don't Allow Changes".

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

You can turn Cellular off, then set Cellular data use to "Don't allow changes" in restrictions. I haven't tested this, but seems it might work.

But then he would NEVER be able to text his parents, or make a call in case of an emergency.
Get him an Android!
In all seriousness, OP would be better served with a feature phone with no data plan. It makes little sense to have a smartphone in this case IMO. If there's an emergency he can call his parents.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

But then he would NEVER be able to text his parents, or make a call in case of an emergency.
Get him an Android!
In all seriousness, OP would be better served with a feature phone with no data plan. It makes little sense to have a smartphone in this case IMO. If there's an emergency he can call his parents.

You can turn off just iMessage. See above. But I don't see the point. You can still email and Use other messaging like Facebook Messenger.
You can then turn off everything else for cellular in restrictions. But, as you say, no way to communicate in an emergency.

But when I was in school, we had no smartphones at all! We did ok. If we had am emergency, we went to the office to use the phone.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Kids also didn't bring guns to school, times have changed.

Not sure how far back you're referencing but there have ALWAYS been school shootings. Times haven't changed that much. What has changed is the medias ability to report on these things across the country.

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com

Not sure how far back you're referencing but there have ALWAYS been school shootings. Times haven't changed that much. What has changed is the medias ability to report on these things across the country.

Words like "ALWAYS" and "NEVER" are such big words...

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

It's pure silliness to only rely on media reports.

A study by both Harvard and the Congressional Research Service, which also includes school shootings, shows the incident rate has quadrupled since the 1970's.:

The Rate of Mass Shootings in America Has Been Increasing

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44126.pdf

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

It's pure silliness to only rely on media reports.

A study by both Harvard and the Congressional Research Service, which also includes school shootings, shows the incident rate has quadrupled since the 1970's.:

The Rate of Mass Shootings in America Has Been Increasing

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44126.pdf

Your report is talking about shootings in public places. I'm specifically talking about school shootings. Which have occurred for a very long time. Secondly your report notes that it is only included MASS shootings that claim 4 lives in one instance and setting. That severely skews the numbers if we are talking about kids bringing guns to school. Not to mention the discussion isn't whether the number of shootings have increased but rather the fact that there have always been school shootings.

Sorry but the report you're referencing is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Your report is talking about shootings in public places. I'm specifically talking about school shootings. Which have occurred for a very long time. Secondly your report notes that it is only included MASS shootings that claim 4 lives in one instance and setting. That severely skews the numbers if we are talking about kids bringing guns to school. Not to mention the discussion isn't whether the number of shootings have increased but rather the fact that there have always been school shootings.

Sorry but the report you're referencing is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

None of this is relevant to the discussion at hand, which is a mother asking how to restrict the time of day messages can be sent to and from her son.
Unless OP can control when her son physically has possession of the phone there isn't a way to accomplish what she is trying to accomplish.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

None of this is relevant to the discussion at hand, which is a mother asking how to restrict the time of day messages can be sent to and from her son.
Unless OP can control when her son physically has possession of the phone there isn't a way to accomplish what she is trying to accomplish.

I was replying to an earlier comment made in this very discussion....thanks tho.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Thanks! Sometimes we all need little reminders to stay on topic. :)

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

Don't even try, you are just building an excuse for your son NEVER to text you even if you want him to ! plus you can't do it, plus he and his pals are going to find a way to circumvent anything that comes along in the way of parental control. Kids are sneaky, you know that, you were one once. Try talking to your offspring, it might work, you never know.