I need advice before selling my iPhone

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Look on eBay...check the auctions that are closest to their end time, and that will give you a good average of the value of the devices on the private market.

Having no idea which model you have (storage wise)...I just searched for mine (32GB) generically on eBay and it looks like unlocked versions are going for between $600-$700 (Space Grey)...and the Gold models are going for a bit higher (same criteria).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the days of getting high dollar simply from a jailbreak are LONNNG over...that was something important to people back in the day when jailbreak unlocks and MiWi was important to people on the market (talking like iOS 5 days and before). These days, the factory unlocked function and current firmware listing, at least in my opinion, seems to the the more preferred device. I actually had my iPhone 5 jailbroken last year on iOS 6 when I sold it, and the person asked me to update it to iOS 7 before he bought it...

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I think the days of getting high dollar simply from a jailbreak are LONNNG over...that was something important to people back in the day when jailbreak unlocks and MiWi was important to people on the market (talking like iOS 5 days and before). These days, the factory unlocked function and current firmware listing, at least in my opinion, seems to the the more preferred device. I actually had my iPhone 5 jailbroken last year on iOS 6 when I sold it, and the person asked me to update it to iOS 7 before he bought it...

So probably best if I list that it's jailbroken/jailbrea-able, then state I'll update if the buyer wants? It's unlocked right from Apple, so that'll be a good thing.

Does Apple Care follow the device when I sell?

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So probably best if I list that it's jailbroken/jailbrea-able, then state I'll update if the buyer wants? It's unlocked right from Apple, so that'll be a good thing.

It's totally up to you whether you want to list it as jailbroken...like I was saying before, I don't see any legitimate value spike doing so, but perhaps you'll find someone who really wants an older JB'able firmware or something and will pay a premium for it. I was just reflecting that it seems most people don't care anymore, and the ones I saw in the higher end of the price spectrum were not jailbroken (or at least didn't list as such).

anon8430100

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I believe 7.1 is still being signed by Apple, so a manual SW update should work. Either way, I'd wait it out and see what the buyer wants

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Haven't messed with Jailbreaking in a while, but I'd imagine there'd be some saving of SHSH blobs still? Then you could download the same exact IPSW, and have TinyUmbrella make iTunes think 7.0.4 is the latest, and sign it with the existing SHSH blobs? Or I might be wrong.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
When I sell my phones I look at eBay and Swappa prices and stay within those prices. When you have more to give your price will be a little higher than everyone else, especially with Apple care.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Haven't messed with Jailbreaking in a while, but I'd imagine there'd be some saving of SHSH blobs still? Then you could download the same exact IPSW, and have TinyUmbrella make iTunes think 7.0.4 is the latest, and sign it with the existing SHSH blobs? Or I might be wrong.

No, and according to ih8sn0w the iPhone 5S will never be downgradeable due to the "Secure Enclave" coprocessor in the A7 chip.

From Apple's security doc:
"Each Secure Enclave is provisioned during fabrication with its own UID (Unique ID) that is not accessible to other parts of the system and is not known to Apple. When the device starts up, an ephemeral key is created, tangled with its UID, and used to encrypt the Secure Enclave's portion of the device's memory space.

Additionally, data that is saved to the file system by the Secure Enclave is encrypted with a key tangled with the UID and an anti-replay counter."

http://images.apple.com/iphone/business/docs/iOS_Security_Feb14.pdf

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
There's no value in selling a jailbroken iPhone. People who want to "jailbrake" are such a small niche vs the mass majority that just want an iPhone for that "iPhone" experience ...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I figure I'll give the customer the choice.

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.

That's fine it's your phone to sell, but understand that most customers won't know what "jailbroken" means. To them it's something illegal done to the phone, or they confuse it with carrier unlocking. Either way it's confusing to most, and only an appealing selling point to few. Why risk turning off a legit customer with little to no added value?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I figure I'll give the customer the choice.

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.
I know several who gave up their 5s jailbreak for iOS 7.1. Why? Because iOS 7 to 7.0.x were buggy with crashes on Safari. 7.1 fixed that. So now they'll just wait for the next jailbreak. But as iOS continues to improve, less people are opting to jailbreak.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
No, and according to ih8sn0w the iPhone 5S will never be downgradeable due to the "Secure Enclave" coprocessor in the A7 chip.

From Apple's security doc:
"Each Secure Enclave is provisioned during fabrication with its own UID (Unique ID) that is not accessible to other parts of the system and is not known to Apple. When the device starts up, an ephemeral key is created, tangled with its UID, and used to encrypt the Secure Enclave's portion of the device's memory space.

Additionally, data that is saved to the file system by the Secure Enclave is encrypted with a key tangled with the UID and an anti-replay counter."

http://images.apple.com/iphone/business/docs/iOS_Security_Feb14.pdf

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Maybe I said it wrong, I didn't mean downgrading at all. I meant restoring and keeping what's on it now. As in if it's on 7.0.4 erase the data, but keep it on 7.0.4. I also have yet to see these stability issues on 7.0.4 with my Jailbreak. I haven't had to play with rejailbreaking since I got it, so I don't know if you can still restore and keep your older version.

I won't make this a jailbreak defense thread, but I wouldn't use a device without it, and don't see much issue with stability on 7.0.4.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro