I love my iphone 5

sah0724

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Big step up from Android completely, won't get into it and won't make this and that type of post I just wanted to know some good free apps and how can I download youtube videos with my iphone?

Also can I use itunes on my lock screen?

thanks

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Directly on the phone, no. However, if you go to Keepvid.com (I think thats the site) on your pc, you can enter the link to the youtube video and download the .mp4 version of the video then transfer it over to your phone via iTunes. It sounds complicated but really isn't that bad.

P.S. Welcome to iOS :)

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting the iPhone when my contract renewal is due in early December for two reasons: One, I've always wanted to try an iPhone from day one, but circumstances led me to Blackberry for a few years, now Android for the past two years. Two, before I completely dismiss the iPhone as a phone that could meet my needs for a mobile device, I should try it, right? I've had iPods from the day they were introduced, still use my iPod touch in the car for my music (when not listening to satellite radio), and have over 4k songs in my iTunes library. I love mobile technology, and would love to have folks tell me the benefits to the iPhone over getting something other.

If I'm considering an iPhone, what would someone be able to tell me I can do with it that I can't already do with my Galaxy Nexus running the latest OS (JellyBean)? I have zero issues with my phone right now, it works flawlessly, it is rooted and running a custom JB ROM. Yes, it gets a good signal, my 4G connection where I live is awesome, and I have apps to do everything I want to do with my device. So sell me an iPhone, those here who love their iPhone 5! Not trying to troll, or start an OS war thread, I'm 100% serious about deciding between the new iPhone and one of the new Android phones coming out this fall. Thanks for any feedback anyone wants to provide!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting the iPhone when my contract renewal is due in early December for two reasons: One, I've always wanted to try an iPhone from day one, but circumstances led me to Blackberry for a few years, now Android for the past two years. Two, before I completely dismiss the iPhone as a phone that could meet my needs for a mobile device, I should try it, right? I've had iPods from the day they were introduced, still use my iPod touch in the car for my music (when not listening to satellite radio), and have over 4k songs in my iTunes library. I love mobile technology, and would love to have folks tell me the benefits to the iPhone over getting something other.

If I'm considering an iPhone, what would someone be able to tell me I can do with it that I can't already do with my Galaxy Nexus running the latest OS (JellyBean)? I have zero issues with my phone right now, it works flawlessly, it is rooted and running a custom JB ROM. Yes, it gets a good signal, my 4G connection where I live is awesome, and I have apps to do everything I want to do with my device. So sell me an iPhone, those here who love their iPhone 5! Not trying to troll, or start an OS war thread, I'm 100% serious about deciding between the new iPhone and one of the new Android phones coming out this fall. Thanks for any feedback anyone wants to provide!

Go try out the iPhone 5 and see if it functions better than your Galaxy Nexus to YOU...i could list of the things that the iPhone 5 does better, but if you like the Android environment better, nothing i say is going to change that for you.

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I came from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and also had it rooted with JB (aokp). I like the iPhone 5 better.
battery is WAAAY better. I don't stress about charging it all the time now.
Facetime works a lot better, like the clarity and ease of communicating through it. Plus more of my friends have iPhones, so facetime is easier to use for video chat. Also iMessage is awesome, again just cause all my friends have it. And its built into the text app so its used automatically. which makes texting my international friends a lot easier, and free.
Overall, I like the iPhone better cause its a lot smoother and just works, less crashes or stalls, less rebooting needed. Because Apple reviews all apps and has guidelines, all of them run in a similar fashion, which is very consistent. anyone you go to a screen where you need to type something, the keyboard is already there for you. that's not always the case with android, sometimes you had to click on the text box to pull up the keyboard. small things like that are consistent in all apps.

I'm not gonna lie, I do miss Google Maps cause of the extensive data they had. Apple Maps navigation seems just as good for now, haven't tested it much yet. And because android is open source, there are a few apps that will never be possible on iPhone, which I really miss on Android (lightflow & sms2pc).

Overall, I am going to stick with iPhone. I got tired of rooting all the time to make my phone better. iPhone is pretty good from the start.
But like what SeanHRCC said, you need to try it out yourself. There's a market for Android and a market for iPhone. Just have to figure out which one you are!

Daniel Gaming freak

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Apple Maps has no local transit recommendations. Altogether, a very inadequate start by apple company. Traffic in Apple Maps shows significantly less fine detail. If you review Google Maps comparing Apple Maps for the same zoom level, Google Maps is really a lot more descriptive.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

If your current phone satisfies your needs stick with it, don't change just for the sake of changing. The one thing Apple really does has an advantage over Android is apps. They are typically higher quality, more numerous, and released on iOS first. As far the OS's go, niether is better though they are vastly different in operation. I went with Apple due to the ecosystem in whole. I love the iPad and there just isn't an Android alternative that can compete IMHO. So it just make more sense to use an iPhone as they work together nicely with the Apps being the same most of the time and both sharing data via icloud. If your current set-up works, keep it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple Maps has no local transit recommendations. Altogether, a very inadequate start by apple company. Traffic in Apple Maps shows significantly less fine detail. If you review Google Maps comparing Apple Maps for the same zoom level, Google Maps is really a lot more descriptive.

Google Maps has also been in use for about 7 years...Apple Maps has been in use for about 7 days.

Imagine being a filmmaker who has been in the industry for 7 years and then comparing a filmmaker that has literally been in the industry for a week to the veterans abilities and polish. Pretty silly huh? Give Apple Maps some time to get on it's feet before labeling it a failure...Rome wasn't built in a day.

idrewpage

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I am definitely jealous of anyone who has an iPhone 5. I have to wait until November 1st to order mine. Don't get me wrong, I love my 4S, but I can't wait for the 5. I have no problem with the new Maps App, on my 4S. Anyways, great to have you aboard the iOS train :)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

The 1 big thing that sold me on iPhone is the OS updates. When Apple releases an OS update, it is guaranteed to get pushed out to at least the last 3 models of iPhone. My son has a 4S running iOS6 & his phone does everything my 5 does with the exception of a few features. I'd say that's damn good considering the 4S is a year old. Since most people have a 2 year contract, its good to know that your old phone will still receive love:D

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
If your current phone satisfies your needs stick with it, don't change just for the sake of changing. The one thing Apple really does has an advantage over Android is apps. They are typically higher quality, more numerous, and released on iOS first. As far the OS's go, niether is better though they are vastly different in operation. I went with Apple due to the ecosystem in whole. I love the iPad and there just isn't an Android alternative that can compete IMHO. So it just make more sense to use an iPhone as they work together nicely with the Apps being the same most of the time and both sharing data via icloud. If your current set-up works, keep it.

I tend to agree with the app quality being better in iOS, but I do think the gap is closing as Android apps are a lot better than they were even a year ago as far as quality and quantity. I have one foot in both ecosystems, and I am hesitant to jump into iOS with both feet by getting an iPhone and iPad (which I also agree is the best tablet on the market, even though I own a Nexus 7 tablet, which I love).

---------- Post Merged at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:34 AM ----------

The 1 big thing that sold me on iPhone is the OS updates. When Apple releases an OS update, it is guaranteed to get pushed out to at least the last 3 models of iPhone. My son has a 4S running iOS6 & his phone does everything my 5 does with the exception of a few features. I'd say that's damn good considering the 4S is a year old. Since most people have a 2 year contract, its good to know that your old phone will still receive love:D

Since I have Nexus devices, I don't worry about not getting OS updates. Both of my devices (Galaxy Nexus phone which is about 1 year old and Nexus 7 tablet) are running the latest Android OS JellyBean (which is fantastic btw, on par or better in some ways than iOS 6). So I can't say that is a selling point to me on getting an iPhone anymore. But I do agree that is a nice thing to pretty much be assured that your iPhone, if it is one of the last two devices released, will get the latest OS. Android devices certainly have to play a guessing game, unless it is a Nexus device, on if and when they will get any updates.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Go try out the iPhone 5 and see if it functions better than your Galaxy Nexus to YOU...i could list of the things that the iPhone 5 does better, but if you like the Android environment better, nothing i say is going to change that for you.

I actually would like to hear your thoughts on what you feel the iPhone does better. That's my main reason for posting here! I appreciate your feedback.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually would like to hear your thoughts on what you feel the iPhone does better. That's my main reason for posting here! I appreciate your feedback.

What i think it does better could be completely irrelevant for you though, which is why i said you should probably check out the iPhone 5 and make your own judgement. What i personally feel the iPhone does better is pretty much everything...i don't care for the Android OS at all, i feel it's gimmicky, sloppy and in many ways, cheesy. The phone's feel cheaply made (lots of plastics, loose pieces for various inputs and what not, battery doors, etc), they don't seem to be integrated with any particular control or balance, where as the iPhone combined with iTunes feels more stable, fluid...and the materials the iPhone is made of are (in my opinion) far superior in fit and finish.

Better camera function, faster performance when compared to the competition, better screen picture quality...and in the end, I'm happy with the iOS environment, i know it, it's familiar but also satisfying at the same time.

Now I'm sure there are arguments against this stuff from the Galaxy S III loyal...or just android fans in particular, which is why i refrained from going through this stuff and simply offered the idea of trying it for yourself. You may not agree with anything i said above, and truly, i could care less because what you like doesn't matter to me at all. Hopefully, if you find the iPhone is a better fit for you, we could find a common subject matter to have nice discussions with on this forum, otherwise, enjoy your Android!

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, concerning the original topic.....thanks for posting. It's good to see a positive thread every now and again. Seems like most people only hit the "new thread" button when they have a complaint. Good day.

Cheers

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
What i think it does better could be completely irrelevant for you though, which is why i said you should probably check out the iPhone 5 and make your own judgement. What i personally feel the iPhone does better is pretty much everything...i don't care for the Android OS at all, i feel it's gimmicky, sloppy and in many ways, cheesy. The phone's feel cheaply made (lots of plastics, loose pieces for various inputs and what not, battery doors, etc), they don't seem to be integrated with any particular control or balance, where as the iPhone combined with iTunes feels more stable, fluid...and the materials the iPhone is made of are (in my opinion) far superior in fit and finish.

Better camera function, faster performance when compared to the competition, better screen picture quality...and in the end, I'm happy with the iOS environment, i know it, it's familiar but also satisfying at the same time.

Now I'm sure there are arguments against this stuff from the Galaxy S III loyal...or just android fans in particular, which is why i refrained from going through this stuff and simply offered the idea of trying it for yourself. You may not agree with anything i said above, and truly, i could care less because what you like doesn't matter to me at all. Hopefully, if you find the iPhone is a better fit for you, we could find a common subject matter to have nice discussions with on this forum, otherwise, enjoy your Android!

Much appreciated! I've played with the iPhone already, and as I mentioned, already am familiar with iOS in general, having used an iPod touch for the past few years. But messing with a phone in the store for a few minutes does not do it justice.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh