I have an iPhone 6 and can not send or receive regular SMS messages, I am only receiving and sending iMessages. Why isn't my regular SMS working?

I

iMore Question

iPhone 6: Can't send or receive regular SMS messages. Only receiving and sending iMessages.

-I've reset all settings
-I've reset all network settings
-I've turned my iMessage off then on again
-I've deleted threads and started new ones
-I've restarted my phone countless times
-I've visited AT&T and got a new sim
-While at the AT&T store the two sales people helping were able to send messages from their AT&T Note 3s and a Sprint iPhone 5s
-I've had friends with different phones (including iPhone 6s) and carriers (including AT&T) send me messages. None received.
-I've had my sister send me messages through regular SMS and iMessage. Only iMessage messages received. She has Verizon.

Running out of options. Anyone?

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6: Can't send or receive regular SMS messages. Only receiving and sending iMessages.

I actually may have an answer for you but maybe not I had a similar issue when I was going to port my number and cancelled and my line was stuck in a limbo I could relieve calls but some messages would not come through. If this is the case call your carrier you were going to port to and from and have them just reset the line it should clear out the problem when I did this all my messages flooded through.

dcr207

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Same thing started happening to me all of a sudden this morning. Tried a bunch of things but the only thing that worked was to fully restore the phone and then set it up as a new phone. Its important you don't restore from a backup, as when I did that the problem persisted.

paulrkiii

Sep 29, 2009
www.facebook.com
Same thing randomly started to me today even before updating to 8.1. I do not want to set up as a new phone, way to much work to setup again. I can not believe the number of issues that I've had since iOS 8 was released, never had this many issues in the past.

jlh5454

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Sms stopped working this afternoon. Apple just replaced my iPhone 6plus two days ago. Was not allowed to use an iCloud backup as they stated that was likely to make it crash again. Started new, have not changed any settings. Any advise will be great.

Robford37

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem on my iPhone 6+ after I changed my phone number (tired of spam calls). Spent three hours with AT&T support and they were no help. Spent 5 minutes with Apple Chat support and it was fixed (so I thought). Thing is, he didn't do anything. I just tried sending him an SMS and it worked....when minutes before it hadn't. It's been working fine for awhile, but now I'm unable to send an SMS again. I think I just came up with the fix. Turn off LTE. I have a horrible signal in my house and in my office building. However, in the office we installed a signal booster that is tuned to AT&T 3G. Once I turned off LTE I could SMS without a problem.

Hope that helps some of you.

Rob

NOTE: While I wasn't able to send an SMS, MMS messages went through fine. I assume they are handled differently.

UPDATE: Changing to LTE for data only also allows me to send SMS's. LTE for Voice & Data is where the problem lies.

Last edited:

Originalloverman

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6: Can't send or receive regular SMS messages. Only receiving and sending iMessages.

My gf has this same issue with her ip6 she would be able to text me, but after a while it wouldn't go through she would have to restart it would work for a while then stop then got really bad she spent house for tech support then claim to fix but as soon as she's home same problem and this was a Friday night and a brand new phone she was very irritated . We had to go on the Monday to have it replaced I think it's a software issue.

Diego Carpintero

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
This issue is cause by the iOS updates. I have gone thru 4 iPhone 6 plus' my carrier is T-Mobile they are truly dumbfounded concerning this matter. Also apple has informed me the update has caused kernel failure

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
My iPhone 6 plus wouldn't reply to my wife's number, she could send me a text but I couldn't send her one. I changed the parentheses to[201] instead of (201) for the area code and it worked! Hope this stupid fix helps someone else.

Jersita Sham

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
All you need to do is Reset all content and settings, erase everything
when it starts back on, make sure you save all your contacts with their area codes.
then it will work from that point on. trust me I just fix one right now!!!!
hope it all works out!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh