I did something crazy....

gabbott

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I've been an Android guy since the beginning... buy a new phone every year, this past year bought a Pixel 2 and a Pixel 2 XL. The 2 XL has been my favorite phone so far that I've had.

A couple weeks ago I bought a Macbook pro, I've never used a Mac before. I love it, I use it now for both work and personal use.

Curiosity got the best of me so as of two days ago I now own a silver iPhone X!

The reason I chose the X over any other iPhone to try/learn ios for the first time was that it seems that gesture based navigation is the direction they are headed even though I like the idea of a fingerprint reader since that has worked well on my past few android phones. So it made sense to me to learn on what they will be using going forward.

Very preliminary initial impressions are that the hardware seems very solid and face id is working quite well for me so I've yet to really miss using a fingerprint. Using the phone has been a bit cumbersome so far. Completely unfamiliar with ios so still learning it in general and getting used to using gestures.

I feel that Android at this point has become very efficient as a mobile OS and it's going to take me quite a while before I'd get to that level with an iPhone. But I'm going to give it a shot. I'll post more thoughts as I go.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the Apple world and feel free to ask as many questions as you like. There are a lot of great folks on the forums to help you into the Apple world transition.

By the way, our company switched from PC to Mac in 2008 and we also had limited knowledge of Apple and Mac OS.

Now it’s been almost 10 years and I wouldn’t use anything else and have never regretted our decision. Welcome aboard.

bobpet63

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
What’s so great is that Mac OS can run windows also. I switched way back to os 8. I’m well versed in both windows and Mac OS. Mac OS hands down is a more refined operating system that’s super stable.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the IOS family. I did the same thing going back in April 2016. Just decided to give up all my Droid devices (mainly Nexus devices) and try Apple. Now I'm all in; iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, iMac, MacBook Pro, Apple TV.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Apple world! I have never crossed the line. I have been using Apple products ever since so I can’t comment or compare it with Android devices. But, I have to say that it has been a great experience so far for many many years being in Apple ecosystem.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been an Android guy since the beginning... buy a new phone every year, this past year bought a Pixel 2 and a Pixel 2 XL. The 2 XL has been my favorite phone so far that I've had.

A couple weeks ago I bought a Macbook pro, I've never used a Mac before. I love it, I use it now for both work and personal use.

The reason I chose the X over any other iPhone to try/learn ios for the first time was that it seems that gesture based navigation is the direction they are headed even though I like the idea of a fingerprint reader since that has worked well on my past few android phones. So it made sense to me to learn on what they will be using going forward.

Very preliminary initial impressions are that the hardware seems very solid and face id is working quite well for me so I've yet to really miss using a fingerprint. Using the phone has been a bit cumbersome so far. Completely unfamiliar with ios so still learning it in general and getting used to using gestures.

I feel that Android at this point has become very efficient as a mobile OS and it's going to take me quite a while before I'd get to that level with an iPhone. But I'm going to give it a shot. I'll post more thoughts as I go.

Congratulations on getting your new iPhone X. We’ve all been there and have had to adjust from what were accustomed to as we learned how to work with iOS. Just understand that the iPhone is not an Android device and some things won’t make sense to you until later. It’s simple, yet powerful. Anyway, don’t hesitate to ask questions about it, if you have any. Take care.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

Mackbooks IOS is superior to Windows and Chrome I have almost every apple device so I guess I am a apple junkie. I use a note 8 as my daily driver.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
If you can Master Android iOS should end up being a breeze, at least after a bit. Enjoy your new X and welcome to the family.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the welcome to iMore! :)

Congratulations on getting your new iPhone X. We’ve all been there and have had to adjust from what were accustomed to as we learned how to work with iOS. Just understand that the iPhone is not an Android device and some things won’t make sense to you until later. It’s simple, yet powerful. Anyway, don’t hesitate to ask questions about it, if you have any. Take care.

That's the mindset I realized I needed to have going into this. As I'm learning more I can already see myself getting more efficient in usage.

Some of the things I really like about this iPhone X:

-The physical size of the phone. I tend to go for "phablet" sized phones to maximize screen size. It's a nice change to use a phone that is more compact but in it's design has maximized screen size as much as possible.

-Speakers. They sound great and can get very loud without distortion. I was immediately pleased with them the first time I went to watch a video in landscape and found that the sound played in stereo.

-FaceID. I know from doing some reading this is a mixed bag for others. So far it's been a very consistent experience for me, so much so that I've yet to wish I had touch id. I did go back and forth for a while whether to just get an 8 plus instead and it was for this very reason alone. Now my favorite feature of FaceID is I can get lockscreen notifications that hide their content until I look at the phone and then content of that notification then automatically shows up.

Yesterday I spent time learning how to reign in notifications. I changed all my messaging apps to have persistent banners, completely turned off some apps notifications, others I tweaked to remove theirs from the lockscreen.

My homescreen is a work in progress. I've made use of some folders but I'm still deciding what works best for me in how to organize it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the welcome to iMore! :)

That's the mindset I realized I needed to have going into this. As I'm learning more I can already see myself getting more efficient in usage.

Some of the things I really like about this iPhone X:

-The physical size of the phone. I tend to go for "phablet" sized phones to maximize screen size. It's a nice change to use a phone that is more compact but in it's design has maximized screen size as much as possible.

-Speakers. They sound great and can get very loud without distortion. I was immediately pleased with them the first time I went to watch a video in landscape and found that the sound played in stereo.

-FaceID. I know from doing some reading this is a mixed bag for others. So far it's been a very consistent experience for me, so much so that I've yet to wish I had touch id. I did go back and forth for a while whether to just get an 8 plus instead and it was for this very reason alone. Now my favorite feature of FaceID is I can get lockscreen notifications that hide their content until I look at the phone and then content of that notification then automatically shows up.

Yesterday I spent time learning how to reign in notifications. I changed all my messaging apps to have persistent banners, completely turned off some apps notifications, others I tweaked to remove theirs from the lockscreen.

My homescreen is a work in progress. I've made use of some folders but I'm still deciding what works best for me in how to organize it.

Outstanding.....and you're already doing the things you need to do to get the most out of your iPhone X. Don't hesitate to ask questions should you need to. We'll definitely go out of our way to answers them for you.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Definitely a challenging move I know change is hard at times, congrats on the new Silver X I picked one up today also setting it up now.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

I did the opposite. I got rid of both of my iPhone Xs for two Pixel 2 XLs.

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the Apple family!! You will be able to use the X with very soon. I have been with Apple since the iPhone 3GS and I did something crazy last week. I had the X but really missed the size of the 8 plus so I went to my T-Mobile store to do a jump on demand upgrade. I really wanted to go back to the 8 plus but I was playing with the note 8 a bit and really enjoyed the features like the stylus and notification customization. I decided to give it a try. Even though I was having fun with it I started to miss my iPhone a lot. I decided to wait for the 30 days so I could jump again and not pay the $50 restocking fee. Meanwhile my sons line was due for a jump on demand upgrade so I ordered the 8 plus. When it came my son said he really wanted the note 8 and asked if we could switch and I was like hells yes we can!! So happy to be back with Apple and the iPhone 8 Plus.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox