I can't find iMessage to save my life

I

iMore Question

I've tried using every form of search I know on my mac and I can't find it! There's a little like speech bubble icon on the top of the screen on my toolbar thing but whenever I click it it just says new messages and doesn't open anything? Help! I want to use this app but I might have deleted it or something?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I've tried using every form of search I know on my mac and I can't find it! There's a little like speech bubble icon on the top of the screen on my toolbar thing but whenever I click it it just says new messages and doesn't open anything? Help! I want to use this app but I might have deleted it or something?

Have you tried searching for a messages app? I think that may be what the actual application is called by the system. I hope you are able to find and use it.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Your original post doesn't say anything about "email". You wrote that it "says new messages".

At the top of the iMessage screen, that's what it reads. "Messages".

What exactly are you looking for it to say?

MadRoseyC

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
whenever I search messages the only results are like email messages. the imessage app never shows up. just all of the time (not when i'm searching) there is a messages icon at the top of my screen that shows a new message option when i click it but it doesn't do anything

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What are you looking for or am I totally confused?? On your iPhone/iPad you have a 'Messages' app. Depending if you are sending a text message to anybody you know that has an IOS device you will be sending them an iMessage which is exclusive to Apple devices and is sent within your messages app. If you sent me a text your send button and the top of the screen would be blue indicating you are sending another IOS device owner an iMessage. If they don't have an apple device it would be green indicating SMS text message. These don;t matter if you are on WIFI or not. If you are near a free WIFI or at home like I do i always send my iMessages this way because iMessages goes against your data. SMS just goes against your SMS message plan on how many you have or unlimited.

Bottom line there is no such thing as a standalone IMessage app - Just messages. I hope you understand now how this works.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Is it safe to assume you have OS X Mountain Lion installed?
I could be wrong but I posted the way I read what I think she is looking for as it sounds like she is looking for an iMessage App?? seperate from Messages thinking they are different apps. I might be wrong butthat is how I see it??

MadRoseyC

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
This is on my macbook pro, it is up to date 10.8.5. But i'm trying redownloading it to see if it works. I have searched using spotlight and there's nothing, this is all i get Screen Shot 2013-10-20 at 4.39.58 PM.png

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What are you looking for or am I totally confused?? On your iPhone/iPad you have a 'Messages' app. Depending if you are sending a text message to anybody you know that has an IOS device you will be sending them an iMessage which is exclusive to Apple devices and is sent within your messages app. If you sent me a text your send button and the top of the screen would be blue indicating you are sending another IOS device owner an iMessage. If they don't have an apple device it would be green indicating SMS text message. These don;t matter if you are on WIFI or not. If you are near a free WIFI or at home like I do i always send my iMessages this way because iMessages goes against your data. SMS just goes against your SMS message plan on how many you have or unlimited.

Bottom line there is no such thing as a standalone IMessage app - Just messages. I hope you understand now how this works.

I could be wrong but I posted the way I read what I think she is looking for as it sounds like she is looking for an iMessage App?? seperate from Messages thinking they are different apps. I might be wrong but that is how I see it??

My bad on both of these I had had gone over the fact that the OP was using a MAC and that is my fault. Not knowing about MACs I would not have posted. Good luck and good answer Karen. Sorry for missing the fact about the MAC. :)

gtoguy777

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Seriously? I think she is having the same problem I am on my macbook pro. While searching for the "messages" app or "iMessages" using both the applications and spotlight search methods, "messages or iMessages" is NOT there. Not only that but when signing into my iCloud account online, there is no icon there for "iMessages" The only app in my toolbar that slightly resembles it is "ichat" which seams to open a chat window linked to my yahoo messenger account. WHERE IS "MESSAGES" and how do I get it back on or perform an initial installation of it onto my macbook. Current software version is 10.7.5. My mac tells me it is up to date when checking. Any help is appreciated.

gtoguy777

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
okay… so I searched for "iMessages" too and it wasn't there either. So you're saying 'iMessages" is only available in OSX 10.8. My question now is if OSX 10.8 is available, why is my computer telling me it's up to date and doesn't need any updates?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
okay? so I searched for "iMessages" too and it wasn't there either. So you're saying 'iMessages" is only available in OSX 10.8. My question now is if OSX 10.8 is available, why is my computer telling me it's up to date and doesn't need any updates?

If your Mac meets the requirements you can update it to 10.8 Mountain Lion or for free update to 10.9 Mavericks. If your Mac meets the requirements for those operating systems. You don't necessarily "need" any OS update but for certain features you must have the OS that has those features.
Your Mac is up to date as far as OS X Lion goes.
What Mac do you have?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods