I’m noticing the 2.5x photo isn’t using the telephoto lens.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
2.5x photo doesn't use the telephoto lens

I read your comment and then test the different zooms covering lenses. When using the 2.5x it did use telephoto. Maybe I did something wrong? Or right?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
Re: 2.5x photo doesn't use the telephoto lens

I read your comment and then test the different zooms covering lenses. When using the 2.5x it did use telephoto. Maybe I did something wrong? Or right?

I came from the XS Max and I will say, WOW! The picture quality is better than my previous device. The speed, smoothness and responsiveness is amazing. I’m glad Santa brought me.

That's cool, but a few of us here, and in the video popkurn611 posted, the 2.5x lens doesn't engage a lot of the time. For me, it pretty much never activates and tries to take a cropped in image using the main camera sensor - which is why I get images like that image of the spider I posted. It looks awful on the iPhone 12 Pro Max and looks great on the Pixel 4XL.

The point of this thread was finding out how to engage the 2.5x camera all the time, so if you know a way, let me know so I can use it.

And I guess if you've only used iPhones, you wouldn't get why Pixel's are praised for their imaging. iPhone is good, don't get me wrong, but the Pixel is excellent and I find more consistent.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

That's cool, but a few of us here, and in the video popkurn611 posted, the 2.5x lens doesn't engage a lot of the time. For me, it pretty much never activates and tries to take a cropped in image using the main camera sensor - which is why I get images like that image of the spider I posted. It looks awful on the iPhone 12 Pro Max and looks great on the Pixel 4XL.

The point of this thread was finding out how to engage the 2.5x camera all the time, so if you know a way, let me know so I can use it.

And I guess if you've only used iPhones, you wouldn't get why Pixel's are praised for their imaging. iPhone is good, don't get me wrong, but the Pixel is excellent and I find more consistent.

I use Apple and Android at both scale, and have to dig into the minutia. I ordered 25 more Androids Tuesday. It's fine for you to have a bias as I've said before but in all of this I've also tried to help you better understand photography and the devices regardless of what you use.

In all this I've also pointed out 3rd party apps I've found to be important whether Android or Apple. That can be for the camera utilization or for other accuracy such as developing or getting your image from a RAW file. Our marketing staff gives exact same treatment to images regardless of camera and that shows the strengths and weaknesses of the different devices.

It seems like you prefer Pixel phones and default apps. That's fine but at two months, I see the Apple Max cameras for the most part work exactly as advertised. The graphics pros we (IT) support also see the advantages you can have with the new Max phone. It's completely boring stuff but for documentation I'm also seeing the advantage of Max phone. I get single shot good images when my associates' phones have that delay from the computational photography. A shot done with the Pro RAW let's me pull out detail instead of marching back to a dark or uncomfortable place to retake the shot.

The differences are real and show up often in our (IT & marketing departments) use.

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site

I see the Apple Max cameras for the most part work exactly as advertised. .

They definitely don't. The majority of the time when you press 2.5x on the camera, it doesn't actually engage the telephoto lens - as explained with photos in this thread. The telephoto images look horrid compared to the telephoto images on the Pixel. Just have a look at the images of the spider I posted. And I took a stack of images with the iPhone of that spider and they all turned out bad compared to the Pixel.

I'm not taking images in RAW format, I'm using the camera as a point and shoot. The iPhone struggles with exposure and HDR in the photos I've taken - happy to post the comparisons if you want to show you the differences. Pixel just takes better photos.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

They definitely don't. The majority of the time when you press 2.5x on the camera, it doesn't actually engage the telephoto lens - as explained with photos in this thread. The telephoto images look horrid compared to the telephoto images on the Pixel. Just have a look at the images of the spider I posted. And I took a stack of images with the iPhone of that spider and they all turned out bad compared to the Pixel.

I'm not taking images in RAW format, I'm using the camera as a point and shoot. The iPhone struggles with exposure and HDR in the photos I've taken - happy to post the comparisons if you want to show you the differences. Pixel just takes better photos.

I'm done here. I've said it's okay for you to have a strong bias.

1) We didn't just buy 2 dozen each more Apple and Android without through testing and making sure they work as advertised. Our marketing and graphics staff are professionals who recognize what their phones and professional gear does. Our main digital content person switched from a Galaxy and Pixel to iPhone because she found what many expert reviewers found - the current flagship Apple has a superb camera system.
2) I've stopped carrying a Panasonic digicam or my SLR for the 12 Pro Max for doing documentation because the telephoto and large middle camera sensor make enough of a difference.

If I was alone here I'm sure we'd see news all over that this phone is some sort of a failure because it ships by the millions.

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site

I'm done here. I've said it's okay for you to have a strong bias.

1) We didn't just buy 2 dozen each more Apple and Android without through testing and making sure they work as advertised. Our marketing and graphics staff are professionals who recognize what their phones and professional gear does. Our main digital content person switched from a Galaxy and Pixel to iPhone because she found what many expert reviewers found - the current flagship Apple has a superb camera system.
2) I've stopped carrying a Panasonic digicam or my SLR for the 12 Pro Max for doing documentation because the telephoto and large middle camera sensor make enough of a difference.

If I was alone here I'm sure we'd see news all over that this phone is some sort of a failure because it ships by the millions.

Or it could be that you have a strong bias? I don't really care what your company buys, that's not my concern, nor is it evidence that the iPhone has a better camera - it doesn't.

Here:

Pixel:
Pixel 2x.jpg

iPhone:
iPhone 12PM 2_5x5.jpg

Pixel:
Pixel2.jpg

iPhone:
iPhone9.jpg

Pixel:
Pixel5.jpg

iPhone:
iPhone3.jpg

Pixel:
PXL_20201116_083603490.jpg

iPhone:
IMG_0120.jpg

iPhone 12 Pro Max just consistently took worse shots across the board. Statues totally underexposed and colours over saturated. The spider I used the 2.5x zoom which kicked off this thread for me - shows the telephoto camera doesn't kick in and instead decides to digitally crop - resulting in a much worse shot than the Pixel with a blurry spider with no detail. The portrait images of the Mario toy looks like a artificial, losing details of the dust on the toy and colour saturation is way too high. Even on the green pipe at the bottom you can see more detail in the texture of the plastic in the Pixel image than the iPhone image.

These are just images of random things. I have a tonne of images of family/friends which show even worse differences, but not going to post private photos here. If the camera was close to the Pixel, I might have kept the iPhone, but it's not. So hard to say that I'm biased here and in actuality every iPhone image I just posted is far superior. They're not.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Or it could be that you have a strong bias? I don't really care what your company buys, that's not my concern, nor is it evidence that the iPhone has a better camera - it doesn't.

Here:

Pixel:
View attachment 130364

iPhone:
View attachment 130365

Pixel:
View attachment 130366

iPhone:
View attachment 130367

Pixel:
View attachment 130368

iPhone:
View attachment 130369

Pixel:
View attachment 130370

iPhone:
View attachment 130371

iPhone 12 Pro Max just consistently took worse shots across the board. Statues totally underexposed and colours over saturated. The spider I used the 2.5x zoom which kicked off this thread for me - shows the telephoto camera doesn't kick in and instead decides to digitally crop - resulting in a much worse shot than the Pixel with a blurry spider with no detail. The portrait images of the Mario toy looks like a artificial, losing details of the dust on the toy and colour saturation is way too high. Even on the green pipe at the bottom you can see more detail in the texture of the plastic in the Pixel image than the iPhone image.

These are just images of random things. I have a tonne of images of family/friends which show even worse differences, but not going to post private photos here. If the camera was close to the Pixel, I might have kept the iPhone, but it's not. So hard to say that I'm biased here and in actuality every iPhone image I just posted is far superior. They're not.

I can't accurately judge cameras when they're not a raw image, with the shot being same focus point, same ISO, and same exposure values. These photos show that to some extent where backgrounds and foregrounds or shadow seem to be different exposure.

Right now I don't have time to look at metadata, and I still think you should keep the product that makes you happy. In my case the 12 PM mid camera low light capability and 2.5 zoom remain very important. It's fine for you to disagree.

That I've bought 25 each of Androids and Apples since most of your posts should be plenty enough evidence that I'm cool with both. I don't take the total brand fan boy path many with my job do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73