Hyper Sensitivity Links In News Apps

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Ok...I’m a news junkie, and therefore have several news apps on my phone/iPad. I appreciate the new quickness (for now) of iOS13...but I do not appreciate the ultra sensitivity to embedded links in the copy that lead you yo another page.

In iOS12, when you’d tap the blueish type in a paragraph of black type print, it would take you to another page for reference...nice and easy. Now, if you are scrolling up so you can read down the page, and get your finger anywhere near the blueish link...it goes to the new page, making you back up to the page you were trying to read over & over again. It’s freaking maddening!

Is there a setting to help with this issue that I’m not seeing, or is just a matter of Apple going overboard and over-fixing something that was never broken?

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Or are the 'News Apps' in question simply responding to commercial pressure from those sponsors who wish the 'link traffic' be directed their way with less impediment...?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Same here no matter how careful I am

You’d think Apple would have dialed the sensitivity level down. I can see if I was touching the highlighted link text with my thumb or finger...but it I touch anywhere close to the link it opens the other page. Really a pain in the butt.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've also noticed this, but not as bad for me as some of you are reporting. An unintentional link follow has happened maybe two or three times in the last almost three weeks on iOS 13 for me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Or are the 'News Apps' in question simply responding to commercial pressure from those sponsors who wish the 'link traffic' be directed their way with less impediment...?

No, it doesn't have anything to do with ads. It's any hyperlink, including hashtags in one app I use. I don't notice it in Twitter though.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have not noticed that in a long time. Back when I did it was definitely linked to specific apps,there was one I abandoned because of this behaviour,I only had to scroll a couple of times and was immediately in an obnoxious ad for a well known game involving smashing sweets !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods