Hulu Live on Apple TV issues

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
So, I’ve successfully cut the cable, and I’m not going back. I subscribed to
Hulu with the Live option, because I’m an old dog and that’s just how I like to watch tv. Whenever I go through the lists of garbage to stream on any of the services (Apple TV, Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime), with few exceptions I usually get overwhelmed with the spectacular volume of crap out there and either fall back on something live, or streaming old episodes of Beat Bobby Flay or Seinfeld. On a few occasions I’ve actually tried to watch something new, but those usually go in the trash heap within a few minutes. But enough of the history lesson.

Hulu Live, when it works, it’s great. I can select favorite channels (the definition of a kluge, but you can’t have everything) to limit the list of stuff I most frequently pick from, there’s a Recents list that holds the 10 most recent channels I’ve watched, and then there’s every channel available when the first two list searches prove fruitless. But here’s where the trouble starts - seems like it’s been daily, sometimes several times daily, the channel guide goes totally wonky. Channels and Favorites lists go completely blank, and the Recents list stops updating my recents. It will stay like this sometimes for hours, making the one feature I use the most almost useless. There are other ways to select live programming, but it requires exiting the show I’m watching and going back to the almost random options on the Hulu home page.

I contacted Hulu support a couple of times about the issue, most recently earlier today, and they said the saw three devices streaming at once, even though I was the only one actively streaming Hulu. I did open it on my iPad to see if the guide was working there (it wasn’t), but then closed it. I have two Apple TV’s, but only one is ever on at a time, never both. My wife has Hulu on her iPad as well, but she wasn’t streaming it at the time. No idea if the apparent multiple devices streaming was the cause of the problem or not. Could even be that Apple devices apparently don’t completely close apps, even when they’ve been force-closed. But to further the strangeness, I switched to my wife’s Hulu profile on my tv, and the guide was working properly; switched back to mine, and it was still gone. I logged out of the app on my iPad anyway, and the Hulu support guy reset and synched my account on his end. When I reopened the app on my tv, the channel guide was back to normal. So it’s fixed … for now.

This problem happens randomly, but frequently enough that it’s gotten annoying as hell. I just (finally) learned you can force-close apps on Apple TV, so next time this happens, I’ll close Hulu and reopen it. If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably delete my profile and recreate it. I don’t know what else to do. So I’m wondering if anybody else is running Hulu Live on Apple TV and having any similar issues, or if anybody has any other suggestions.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
So apparently now Hulu is aware of ‘a problem’ with all Apple devices. Support guy on my last chat/rant said it had something to do with the last update about a week ago, which I think he was referring to the last Apple TV update, because I don’t recall seeing one for the Hulu app. No guess as to when it will be fixed, but of course ‘we’re working on it’. Still curious if anyone here has Hulu Live and is seeing the same issues.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
So apparently now Hulu is aware of ‘a problem’ with all Apple devices. Support guy on my last chat/rant said it had something to do with the last update about a week ago, which I think he was referring to the last Apple TV update, because I don’t recall seeing one for the Hulu app. No guess as to when it will be fixed, but of course ‘we’re working on it’. Still curious if anyone here has Hulu Live and is seeing the same issues.

I switch between Hulu live and YouTube tv. I’m currently using YouTube tv but I also have Hulu standard and that was not working on my Apple TV the last few days. I had to delete the app and add it back. It’s fine now. If you haven’t then I’d suggest trying that.

raveniphone

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

Yes same here. Having channel guide issues on Apple TV and iPhone. Incredibly annoying. I contacted Hulu
support and they were completely useless

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I switch between Hulu live and YouTube tv. I’m currently using YouTube tv but I also have Hulu standard and that was not working on my Apple TV the last few days. I had to delete the app and add it back. It’s fine now. If you haven’t then I’d suggest trying that.

Yup, I’ve done that a few times now, as recently as two nights ago - didn’t change anything. Once in a great while and for a very short time it works ok, but mostly the guide is blank/won’t load, and I have to resort to other means to find what I’m looking for.

How do you like YouTube TV? Looks like it has more basic channels, but I couldn’t find how much any of the add-ons cost. Does the app work ok on Apple TV? The reviews were just so-so.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes same here. Having channel guide issues on Apple TV and iPhone. Incredibly annoying. I contacted Hulu
support and they were completely useless

I complained enough and got a couple of weeks credit. Better than just a “we’re sorry for the inconvenience,” I guess.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
@sleepngbear have you tried going to your Hulu account and deleting all devices Hulu says you’re connected to? This needs to be done via desktop browser, I’ve had to do it a few times because Hulu considers it a “new” device anytime it asks for you to input an activation code.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
@sleepngbear have you tried going to your Hulu account and deleting all devices Hulu says you’re connected to? This needs to be done via desktop browser, I’ve had to do it a few times because Hulu considers it a “new” device anytime it asks for you to input an activation code.

Yes, I have. In fact the last time I did, there were a bunch of browser sessions showing (only one should have shown as logged in), and I deleted the one I was logged in with. :rotfl:

Screwy system they have there. No way to tell what’s actually currently logged in and streaming, just a list of everything that’s ever been logged in to the account both through the app and the web site. Kinda useless - the only way to be sure of anything is to delete everything.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I’m not 100% sure yet, but I think we got a Hulu update (I had one to install on my iPad, so I’m guessing there was one for Apple TV too), and it seems to have fixed the guide problems. It’s been mostly nonfunctional for at least a week, but so far tonight everything seems to be in order. Keeping my fingers crossed … it’s so nice when everything works like it should. Now if somebody can just do something about the incessant and obnoxious pharma, car insurance and human trash tv commercials …

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2