How would you feel about a screenshot alert for text messages (similar to Snapchat)?

Cella Lao Rousseau

Staff Writer, iMore.com
Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
There were some rumours swirling around that there might be some Snapchat-like screenshot detection features with iOS 11 when it comes to things like text messages...

This isn't happening :cant-watch:, but would you like a feature like this? Why or why not?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I think if they had an option to either use or not use (disable the feature or enable the feature), then it wouldn't matter to me personally. I like knowing that I can enable or disable a feature if I want, rather than having it pushed on me without any choice... if that makes sense. Choices are good, but then sometimes it doesn't matter if you give people a choice, they'll complain anyway. /shrug

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site
From a privacy perspective, I don't want someone else knowing what screenshots I take. It can lead to a variety of misunderstandings and assumptions. What if a textual conversation was 10 screens long. What portion of the screen was captured via the screenshot? What if it was a reference to a gatecode from a few days ago, versus some racy photograph that was just sent? Would the screenshot I just took be send back to the other user? An even worse form of privacy violation. Too many issues to mitigate.

smart_burro

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
If Apple does include this as a feature I hope that it 1) can be disabled/enabled and 2) like read receipt notifications on emails allows you to decide whether or not to notify the other person. Then the issue becomes if you can choose not to send the notification what is the point of it? I don't care if anyone takes screenshots of messages I send. I send text messages knowing that it could be shared with someone other than the person I sent it to. Yes it sucks when I have said something negative about someone and that text message gets shared with them, but me knowing that a screenshot was taken will not allow me to block it from being shared. Don't want someone sharing a racy photo you shared? Don't send the racy photo. Don't want something you said about another person shared? Don't send it in a text message.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
No to this. Privacy reasons. You don't want someone screenshotting something? Don't send it.

My privacy doesn't have to erode to make up for your lack of personal responsibility.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
No, yes, no, yes.... I see both sides. Back when I had by 16GB 5s, I would periodically have to delete texts for space reasons, and I took screenshots of ones that meant something to me for sentimental reasons. Clearly, people have different thoughts, opinions and feelings about this. So as long as it's optional, well then, I'm ok with it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
No to this. Privacy reasons. You don't want someone screenshotting something? Don't send it.

My privacy doesn't have to erode to make up for your lack of personal responsibility.

Aren't you invading the privacy of another by screen shotting their text messages? Your privacy really wouldn't be affected if you don't screenshot the text of another individual, no?

That said...I'd rather not see this feature implemented. Simply because I don't want people knowing when I screenshot their texts.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Not a feature I would welcome. I screenshot text convos almost on a daily basis. Even it could be disabled I'd still feel uncomfortable with it.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Aren't you invading the privacy of another by screen shotting their text messages? Your privacy really wouldn't be affected if you don't screenshot the text of another individual, no?

That said...I'd rather not see this feature implemented. Simply because I don't want people knowing when I screenshot their texts.
No, taking a screenshot of texts or anything that is sent to YOU on YOUR phone is not a violation of the sender's privacy. YOU are a party to the conversation and thus they have already consented to share that information with you.

However, someone knowing that you captured a screenshot (of whatever) on YOUR phone, IS a violation of your privacy.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
No, taking a screenshot of texts or anything that is sent to YOU on YOUR phone is not a violation of the sender's privacy. YOU are a party to the conversation and thus they have already consented to share that information with you.

However, someone knowing that you captured a screenshot (of whatever) on YOUR phone, IS a violation of your privacy.

They don't know you took a screen shot of "whatever is on your phone". They know you took a screen shot of THEIR conversation with you. Screen shot of what THEY said to you. This is really no different than Snapchat.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
They don't know you took a screen shot of "whatever is on your phone". They know you took a screen shot of THEIR conversation with you. Screen shot of what THEY said to you. This is really no different than Snapchat.

Right. But my point was that you cannot violate someone else's privacy by taking a screenshot of (or otherwise saving) a text that they sent to you that already exists on your phone.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

It sure is different. Snapchat is meant to send vanishing photos to one and each other whereas texts are not designed that way.
It’s up to the receiver of the text to either delete it now, on a later time or never. So it’s justified to get a notification for screenshots on Snapchat but not for text messages.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
In addition to screenshots, one can copy and paste, forward a text, and now take a video of the messaging. So I don't see the point of notifying when someone takes a screenshot. Leave that to Snapchat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2