How to use SSH with Mac OS X

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
SSH is a way to get into your phone with an FTP client like cyberduck. Your phone and mac have to be on the same wireless network and you use SSH type protocol to connect to the phone. Instead however just use Iphone Explorer it allows you to browse your iPhone through the USB cable. I use it and un-installed OpenSSH to prevent any possibility of someone getting iinto my phone with that method. Iphone Explorer is beta software but it works perfect for me, sometimes after five minutes it will disconnect from the phone but very rarely and at that point I just close the app on the Mac and open it again and I'm good to go.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Also look at the make your own themes tutorial I have posted that is stickied at the top of this forum. That website has a tutorial on SSH'ing into your iPhone.

Just know that doing this can severely damage your device if you don't know what you're doing and delete core files. Just be sure you feel comfortable doing it before you start going through the phone's file system.

Greg Orlando

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
Mac OS X comes with its own implementation of OpenSSH, so you don't need to install any third-party software to take advantage of the extra security SSH offers. Go to following link and you might get some help-
SSH in Mac OS X

thebeast3203

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
I got Iphone explorer but when I go to load some of the themes I want it shuts down and the themes dont load onto my phone properly. They show up in winterboard but when i enable them they do not work. Is this because they did not load properly. And is there a way to modify themes in iphone explorer because all the forums i read are using an SSH client to modify their themes.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I got Iphone explorer but when I go to load some of the themes I want it shuts down and the themes dont load onto my phone properly. They show up in winterboard but when i enable them they do not work. Is this because they did not load properly. And is there a way to modify themes in iphone explorer because all the forums i read are using an SSH client to modify their themes.

I've only had that problem with Iphone Explorer once. I've had the problem with Winterboard that themes wouldn't load and it was a problem with Winterboard and not the themes so it could be either in this case. So what I would say is try SSHing the theme to your Winterboard that wouldn't work before and if it does work then you know there was a problem during the transfer with Iphone Explorer. If you're going to SSH just make sure you change your password do a search there's a tutorial on that. Also make sure you have SBSettings and turn off SSH when you're done it sucks battery power like nothing else. I used Cyberduck to SSH in to my phone from Mac but I'm sure there are other ways like above.

thebeast3203

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
I got cyberduck and when i enter the IP address that i get from my phone i can not get it to connect. Not sure what the problem is any advice??

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
yes i did that as well

hm that's an odd problem then. try downloading fugu and see if that gives you better results.

if you're changing it to ssh instead of ftp, i don't know.

there are the settings:

IP (should be your phone's IP, found in settings, wifi, click arrow, and the ip address, or from SBSettings)
username: root
port: 22
directory: /
and default password is alpine, unless you changed it through mobileterminal or through your mac terminal

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
got fugu did all the things you said and it still will not connect i really am stumped

hm maybe another stupid question but the computer you are using is on the same wireless network as your phone right? you have to be on the same wifi network. you probably know this but just making sure.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I hate to say this but if all your settings are right, there's only a few other things you could try.

First and foremost, do you have another computer you could try? At least rule out it isn't your computer.

If it still doesn't work, I'd say do a restore on your phone and re-jailbreak and/or unlock if need be. Maybe a file was corrupt in in the OS or the jailbreak went wrong somewhere. I know restores are a pain but I've noticed 9 times out of 10, it fixes it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox