How to use mobile hotspot?

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
So it connects wifi to your computer? No cord from from the computer? How's the 3G service when running your computer?

No cords involved. The 3G connection is fine for general web surfing. I use it on my iPad2/MacBook AIr occasionally and it works fine. It tends to time out though and lose it's connection if I'm not using the laptop/iPad for a few minutes and then I have to reconnect it.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
On Vz it's $20 a month for 2gb and then it goes up from there and I'm not sure what the increased gb costs are. I don't know what the other carriers charge.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
What do u mean gb? Aren't you taking the signal from the phone? So shouldn't the 3G be unlimited just like it is on your phone?

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
What do u mean gb? Aren't you taking the signal from the phone? So shouldn't the 3G be unlimited just like it is on your phone?
No, you have unlimited on your phone. Tethering or hotspot is not covered by your phone internet plan ... you need the feature.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking about the cost of memory you want per month and no it's not unlimited. The hotspot feature is not free unfortunately.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Please tell me you're joking. As much as you post on this website and parade around screaming how the iPhone is the greatest thing ever invented by man and that no other phone can "beat it", and you haven't read a single media release or thread about data usage caps, throttling and grandfathered unlimited plans? I mean, i would hazard to guess that outside of new Apple product releases, one of the top 5 topics of iPhone communities like this one is data usage of this sort...meaning that the amount of topics relating to internet tethering and data usage has to AT LEAST top 30-40% of the discussed subject matter on any of the iPhone forums...and some how you're completely in the dark about this? lol.

Unlimited data packages are going the way of the dinosaurs...AT&T hasn't had them for some time, Verizon followed suit shortly after, and now that Sprint has the iPhone, you can already see their plans shifting with like frequency...the iPhone user community simply uses A LOT more data than any other phone, and because of this, the carriers know they can make money by capping the usage and charging for "extra" data.

AT&T offers 4GB at $45 for a data plan...that includes the old standard $30 iPhone data plan + $15 for data tethering service PER MONTH...i think there is a plan for 2GB, 1GB and 200MB...but you'd have to go google what the pricing for those is. Verizon and Sprint have their own pricing scale, but in the end, to have an iPhone and data tethering, you end up spending about the same amount per month over all regardless of what carrier you use.

You do basically have access to USE an unlimited amount of data through tethering or on the iPhone itself, but it's not free...you will pay for your initial data plan...and you will pay extra the more data you use...some people who have had iPhones for many years are grandfathered into unlimited data plans, and some of them never experience any kind of negative performance using as much data as they want...many of them though experience data throttling (forced slowing of speeds after a certain amount of data is used) or constant warnings from the carrier about excessive data being used (even some being forced into a tiered plan without a choice). These grandfathered accounts will all eventually see some kind of limitation, but for now...some people still enjoy worry free data usage.

With that said...let me make a suggestion to you. Instead of posting more threads with the main topic point of saying that Android phones suck and the iPhone is the best thing in the world...go spend some time in the forums reading old threads or even googling some stuff like this so you can at least say you put some effort into learning this kind of thing, because honestly, with the frequency you post random stuff on here, something tells me that you have plenty of time to know this stuff without having to have it spelled out like this.

Last edited:

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I know what GB means buddy. I was just confused because I thought it runs off your phone and your phone has unlimited GB. of course I know what gb means

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know what GB means buddy. I was just confused because I thought it runs off your phone and your phone has unlimited GB. of course I know what gb means

lol...it does run off your phone, but what is this "unlimited GB" you're talking about? Assuming you're referring to phones having access to unlimited amounts of data usage when you say "unlimited GB", then you're right in the fact that you can access unlimited amounts of data...but you still have to pay for it, it is certainly not free, even strictly on the phone itself without tethering.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I think the OP means that he as a data plan for unlimited data, like me, and I think I'm wrong regarding that tethering data is different than he phone data. We may only have to pay the tethering fee and use the unlimited data on our plan.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think the OP means that he as a data plan for unlimited data, like me, and I think I'm wrong regarding that tethering data is different than he phone data. We may only have to pay the tethering fee and use the unlimited data on our plan.

I think the OP should stick to writing about how great the iphone is. This tethering stuff will just get him distracted.

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
FYI, AT&T doesn't offer a unlimited plan with tethering (Wi-Fi hotspot) for the iPhone. What they offer is a 2 GB plan for $25, to add tethering is an extra $20. This service will allow you to max out at 4 GB. So, if you're grandfathered into a unlimited data plan for $30, you will have to give up this plan to get the tethering (hotspot) service for an extra $15. This is why jailbreaking for the hotspot service on unlimited plan is so popular. IMO

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
FYI, AT&T doesn't offer a unlimited plan with tethering (Wi-Fi hotspot) for the iPhone. What they offer is a 2 GB plan for $25, to add tethering is an extra $20. This service will allow you to max out at 4 GB. So, if you're grandfathered into a unlimited data plan for $30, you will have to give up this plan to get the tethering (hotspot) service for an extra $15. This is why jailbreaking for the hotspot service on unlimited plan is so popular. IMO

Ahhh, nice clarification.
That is why I didn't know the specifics regarding tethering. I'm grandfathered on an unlimited plan and was using MyWi until I got the 4S.
My kids miss the MyWi for their iPods when they r in the car !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR