How to untethered jailbreak iPhone 4S and iPad 2 on iOS 5.0.1 & iOS 5.0

RyanShaw

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
What is the error you are getting, what device are you using laptop, pc, Mac? Which version of absinthe?so you have your device at stock with nothing on it? If using windows 7 did you run as administrator and or in xp mode?

It's a laptop with windows vista. I ran as admin. the error is "absinthe has stopped working" then the program closes. I backed up my iPhone so it's how it normally is at the moment. Do you know how I can make it so absinthe won't crash

techiechick

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
For those having the "Run as Administrator" issue with Windows 7

Hello all,
Newbie to iOS, but veteran to most other mobile OSes... Just jailbroke after fighting with Windows... Here's how to get around it:

Right click My Computer and choose Manage.
Go to Local Users & Groups, then Users.
Your Administrator account *may* be disabled (Down arrow). Right Click and enable it.
Right click Administrator again and reset the password to something you know. (important)
Close all the windows.

Right click absinthe.exe and go to Properties.
Under Compatibility set the compatibility mode to XP SP2, and Run as Administrator.
Click OK to save the changes.

Then hold the Shift key and right click absinthe.exe, choose Run as Other User. (old w2k trick)
Enter your computer name\Administrator and your password.

Enjoy!!

mookster

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I took the leap and jailbroke. The process went smooth until the very end. Greenpoison is installed onto my home screens and when I open it up I go to the blog showing the progress of the jailbreak but when I go back to the homsecreen, Cydia is not there and it's still the Greenpoision icon. I went ahead and restarted my phone and same thing. Am I missing something?

Ok, I just realized Greenpoison was telling me that I had my pass code set and failed the jail break. I'm trying this again by golly.

Update: I removed the password protector and the Green Poison icon remains and when I tap on it it takes me to a blog. I am not getting the Cydia icon at all. I guess I'll do a restore tomorrow of my phone and try again.

Last edited:

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I took the leap and jailbroke. The process went smooth until the very end. Greenpoison is installed onto my home screens and when I open it up I go to the blog showing the progress of the jailbreak but when I go back to the homsecreen, Cydia is not there and it's still the Greenpoision icon. I went ahead and restarted my phone and same thing. Am I missing something?

Ok, I just realized Greenpoison was telling me that I had my pass code set and failed the jail break. I'm trying this again by golly.

Update: I removed the password protector and the Green Poison icon remains and when I tap on it it takes me to a blog. I am not getting the Cydia icon at all. I guess I'll do a restore tomorrow of my phone and try again.

Toggle VPN to ON in settings, it will error out and reboot your phone. When it reboots Cydia should be there.

Reactions: mookster

mtv757#AC

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
after of 2 hours of restarting and restarting the absinthe app i turned off my firewall and windows firewall and it worked on the first try.... i thought i wasnt going to be able to but finnaly it went through. now i gotta figure out how to install sources on cydia.

mookster

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Imuggle, I just got home from work and read on a coupla blogs to do the VPN thing. I was gonna do a complete restore and try again but instead plugged the phone back in and synced yet again.

The final time, the Green Poison app didn't wind up on any of my screens but I still did the VPN. Took 4-5 tries and it finally reset and booted up with Cydia. I'm having a blast downloading apps now. I'm loving jailbreak after only 15 minutes. I'm not a huge androi fan (I used to have an Incredible before my 4S) but I did miss the customization options available. I got the best of all worlds now.

JAILBREAK BABY!!!!!

JewJewBee

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,
Newbie to iOS, but veteran to most other mobile OSes... Just jailbroke after fighting with Windows... Here's how to get around it:

Right click My Computer and choose Manage.
Go to Local Users & Groups, then Users.
Your Administrator account *may* be disabled (Down arrow). Right Click and enable it.
Right click Administrator again and reset the password to something you know. (important)
Close all the windows.

Right click absinthe.exe and go to Properties.
Under Compatibility set the compatibility mode to XP SP2, and Run as Administrator.
Click OK to save the changes.

Then hold the Shift key and right click absinthe.exe, choose Run as Other User. (old w2k trick)
Enter your computer name\Administrator and your password.

Enjoy!!

I successfully jb'd yesterday with my laptop (disabling firewall and stuff). All was good all day until I queued 5 apps from cydia. When I tried to install them and reboot the device it locked up. I had to restore from backup. So I come into work on a pc and download the tool, plug in my phone and give it a whirl and Absinthe does not recognize that I have the phone connected. I have downloaded absinthe again, plugged and re-plugged in the phone etc. I disabled firewall on pc also. What gives? I followed all the same steps as the laptop.

Anyone have any advice? (besides waiting until I get home and try it again on laptop)

thanks

Last edited:

cflynt

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Absinthe greyed out Jailbreak on Windows

For those that might have the grayed out Jailbreak when running the Windows version of Absinthe, I fixed mine by installing iTunes. Maybe it was put in instructions someplace and I missed it, but I didn't have iTunes installed before. Once I installed it, it worked. Hope it helps someone else!

Did find this, so this nice user did let us know as such:

A few key things to do for a successful jailbreak on both iPad and iPhone 4s

1. Make sure you are on latest iTunes
2. Backup your device. Make sure your backup is not password protected
3. Settings / general / reset and erase all settings and content
4. Once device has rebooted, setup as new device then once on springboard turn off wifi
5. Run jailbreak tool. Should be very quick as the device is stock.
6. Once finished turn on wifi and click the greenpois0n app
7. If fails do the VPN trick, Device will reboot, then run cydia.
8. Restore from backup.

The reason people are experiencing long or failed jailbreaks is due to having content already on he device. For the first time this tool is using a multitude of new methods including using a backup during the JB. If you are having troubles just restore to new device and start again from fresh.

I've done two iPads today on 2 diff laptops and they were both very smooth. BTW I used windows absinthe tool. Also remember if you are on Windows 7 run as administrator and also try running in XP mode if the program is cashing.

Happy jail breaking :)

Thanks

Last edited:

JewJewBee

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
For those that might have the grayed out Jailbreak when running the Windows version of Absinthe, I fixed mine by installing iTunes. Maybe it was put in instructions someplace and I missed it, but I didn't have iTunes installed before. Once I installed it, it worked. Hope it helps someone else!

I have iTunes installed here at work but don't use it and it's an older version. I updated to latest version and it is now jailbreaking. Thanks for sending me in the right direction.

Meldiane

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I am still not able to get this to work. I get it all the way to the "launch the greenpoison icon" on my ipad and it just sits there. 4-5 times now :( Not sure what to do. Tried the vpn thing but it doesnt reboot my ipad

UPDATE: I tried the turn off wifi thing but I am on an wifi only ipad 2. I turned off wifi, clicked the green poison icon and it says it cant work because its not connected to the internet. Does Itunes need to be open while jailbreaking?

Last edited:

nolhayes

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Thanks
is erase all settings and content the same as an iTunes restore?

GR2011

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
is erase all settings and content the same as an iTunes restore?

no, it didn't on my iPad 2 (Absinthe win-0.2). jailbroken with this guide: www[dot]ipadshouse.com/how-to-jailbreak-ipad-2-and-iphone-4s-using-absinthe-for-windows/

jeffsbarnes

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Toggle VPN to ON in settings, it will error out and reboot your phone. When it reboots Cydia should be there.

Tried the VPN toggle multiple times, with no success.... Any ideas what else could be preventing Cydia from showing up?

Greenpoison icon is on home screen... but, it just access the blog page URL.... No jailbreak of device actually seems to occur? Thx in advance

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77